ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant

I just can’t believe this. This sucks as I pray for the family.

Reactions: Andre'
Damn man. This is really sad. I feel terrible for his family. Way too young. We lost an icon.

TMZ reporting Kobe's 13 yr old daughter GiGi was on the helicopter and has died.

6f200dc6434a4f1e8370ec9c5adbe364_md.jpg

I am a bit cynical about the celebrity worship when there are people lost in tragedies everyday and many that have been lost doing far more important things than playing a game.

He was far more than a guy who just played a game. People aren’t saddened because a basketball player died. His Mamba academy, his art, his children’s books. But whatever, you do you. Go look at pics of him with his daughters and shrug it off.

To be honest I don’t feel any different about his tragedy than I would about it happening to anyone else. Being a celebrity does not make it any worse imho.
I understand but the difference here is the collective, what I mean by the collective, it’s that billions of people are affected, this is felt deeper and more spiritual.

I have had two people at the gym that have wanted to talk about it

Sometimes it's better to not say what's in your head.
Not sure there is anything wrong with his comment. People die every day tragically. I hate it for all of them, not just Kobe. The lives of the other 4 were just as precious. Having said that, I also understand how it can be a bigger deal for folks as they “feel” a sense of familiarity to this athlete because they grew up watching him play. Either way it is sad.

It’s fitting that the NBA’s Renaissance Man spent formative years in the birthplace of the artistic movement for which it is named. Whether you appreciated his athleticism, intellect, artistry, intensity, or connection to the world through languages, cultural contributions, or philanthropy, Kobe Bryant embodied so many avenues of inspiration.

Personally, I love sport, and for me, it’s about the tiny moments of anticipation. The 1/100 of a second stitched to the tips of Michael Phelps’ fingers separating gold from silver... it’s the millisecond before gravity yanked Tiger’s teetering chip-shot into the cup on 16 at Augusta... It’s that moment when the buzzer sounds, ball in the air, #8 staring it down with his wrist affixed at 90 degrees.

I also enjoy writing, and that’s where I found my greatest kinship to Kobe Bryant. From what he has shared by putting pen to paper, I believe Kobe would require himself to glean something from a loss so profound. In honor of his contributions, I wanted to share a piece of his own poignancy.

“I’m aware of Father Time’s curfew. He has sent me to my room to brush my teeth before he tucks me in, but I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t walk to the bathroom slowly. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t act as if someone misplaced the toothpaste. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t brush every tooth twice, brush my tongue three times, floss until my gums bleed and rinse with mouthwash until the inside of my mouth burns and then goes numb.”
– Kobe Bryant

May we all try to live the moments we each have left wryly avoiding Father Time’s Curfew. Feel free to share your fondest memories and greatest appreciations. Embrace the catharsis.

Last edited:
Not sure there is anything wrong with his comment. People die every day tragically. I hate it for all of them, not just Kobe. The lives of the other 4 were just as precious. Having said that, I also understand how it can be a bigger deal for folks as they “feel” a sense of familiarity to this athlete because they grew up watching him play. Either way it is sad.
It's just an unnecessary thing to say.

NINE people killed.
Rick Fox was not on the helicopter.

It’s fitting that the NBA’s Renaissance Man spent formative years in the birthplace of the artistic movement for which it is named. Whether you appreciated his athleticism, intellect, artistry, intensity, or connection to the world through languages, cultural contributions, or philanthropy, Kobe Bryant embodied so many avenues of inspiration.

Personally, I love sport, and for me, it’s about the tiny moments of anticipation. The 1/100 of a second stitched to the tips of Michael Phelps’ fingers that separated gold from silver... it’s the millisecond before gravity yanked Tiger’s teetering chip-shot on 16 at Augusta... It’s that moment when the buzzer sounds, ball in the air, #8 staring it down with his wrist flexed at 90 degrees.

I also enjoy writing, and that’s where I found my greatest kinship to Kobe Bryant. From what he has shared by putting pen to paper, I believe he’d require himself to glean something from a loss so profound, and in honor of his contributions I wanted to share a piece of his own poignancy.

“I’m aware of Father Time’s curfew. He has sent me to my room to brush my teeth before he tucks me in, but I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t walk to the bathroom slowly. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t act as if someone misplaced the toothpaste. I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t brush every tooth twice, brush my tongue three times, floss until my gums bleed and rinse with mouthwash until the inside of my mouth burns and then goes numb.” – Kobe Bryant

May we all try to live the movements we each have left wryly avoiding Father Time’s Curfew. Feel free to share your fondest memories and greatest appreciations. Embrace the catharsis.
Great post! We lost much more than a basketball player, that is for sure.

It's tragic because we live in America. The greatest and freest country in earth. It's tragic because Kobe entertained us all. It's tragic because at 41 he had a lot more to give to young athletes in all sports. It's tragic because despite the hiccup in Colorado. Kobe Bryant was one of the good guys. He passed the SAT and was heavily recuited by colleges everywhere. He silently committed to Duke but skipped to the NBA when the Lakers pretty much guaranteed they'd trade Vlade Divac to get him. It's tragic when good people that have given a lot with a lot more to give die early and to soon. It's tragic when a parent dies with their kid doing something they loved doing. Going to his basketball camp. Helping kids to develop their skills to get athletic scholarships.

RIP KOBE!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT