ADVERTISEMENT

Softball Live Updates: FSU softball opens 2024 season Thursday night vs. Charlotte

Flaherty steals second but is called out for leaving early. It'll be reviewed but for now, umps are saying the inning is over.

They overturned the call. Flaherty did not leave early and she's at second with two outs for Amaya Ross. 2-1 count.

Now they are reviewing it again? Didn't know you could do that or why you would have to.

Flaherty is still safe. Waste of everyone's time for a game that is quickly approaching three hours long.

Amaya Ross with a chance to be the hero.

Lineout to third strands the runner. Extra innings at Graf.

5-5 as we head to the eighth.

Emma Wilson caps off a 1-2-3 inning with a web gem. Liner back at her and she snags it clean with the glove.

I didn't have her being FSU's pitching savior tonight but she's been up to the task. 4.2 innings, 1 run on 3 hits.

5-5, M8. Wacaser, Beachum, Torres due up for the Seminoles.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Wacaser popped out on the first pitch of the inning. One down.

Beachum loops a single to left, just in front of the charging left fielder. Annie Potter pinch-running for her at first base and Isa Torres stepping in.

Torres Ks but Potter steals second on the strikeout pitch.

RISP with two outs for Mudge.

Wow. Mudge slaps one in the shallow infield. Ump says the throw to first pulled the fielder off the bag and Potter came around from second to score.

It's under review. If it stands, FSU wins 6-5.

Call is overturned. Mudge is out at first base and the inning is over. No winning run.

We head to the ninth. Playing a full baseball game tonight, at least.

• Angry
Reactions: bungman
I think that was the right call. The replay we saw, it looked like she kept her foot on the bag. But dang is that a huge reversal in a big spot.

Emma Wilson back in the circle. She's already thrown 4.2 innings tonight after throwing 6 innings all of last season.

Wilson gets the flyout to center to start the inning. One down.

Wilson gets a K. She has set down seven straight batters.

5-5, M9. Another chance for FSU to walk it off. Top of the order (Kerr, Edenfield, Harding) due up.

Harding rockets the first pitch she sees just inside the third-base bag. Sliding stop by the left fielder keeps her to a single.

Flaherty up with a runner on first.

Flaherty grounds out to third. Narrowly beaten at first by the throw. Another scoreless frame for FSU.

5-5 as we head to the 10th.

Emma WIlson back out for another inning. She gets another weak flyout to center on the first pitch.

She's up to six innings tonight, matching her entire 2023 season output.

Wilson's streak of 9 straight batters retired ends with a double to left by Dirks.

Runner on second for Charlotte with two outs and the top of the order up.

Single to right lands just in front of Wacaser and the run scores from second.

Charlotte takes a 6-5 lead in the 10th.

HBP (under review) puts two runners on for Charlotte. Three straight batters have reached.

They rule the runner left early and the inning is over.

Still, the damage may have been done. Charlotte leads 6-5 and FSU needs to score in the bottom of the 10th or it will lose its season opener for the first time since 2014.

Amaya Ross tries to bunt the first pitch of the inning and pops out behind home plate. FSU down to its final two outs.

Wacaser battles but flies out to fairly deep left. Two down for FSU.

Beachum grounds out to short. Charlotte stuns FSU 6-5. Wow.

First time FSU has lost a season opener since 2014.

• Sad
Beachum grounds out to short. Charlotte stuns FSU 6-5. Wow.

First time FSU has lost a season opener since 2014.
I know its the 1st game and we have like 60 to go but, I just dont see leadership on this team.
Mack, Muffley, and Kat or any 1 of the 3 are sorely missed.
I don't want to be the one to call at anyone specifically but, if we are depending on certain individuals in the circle in crucial moments that have not shown they can handle the moment in 3/4 years then we are in deep trouble.
I mean we all hope Rodamaker would become the starting QB but, just didn't happen. I don't see a difference here with what we are expecting from some on the softball team. Unfortunately we didn't get a DJ U to maybe makes things a little better.
We also have someone hitting in the 2 spot that can hit the ball a mile but, has 0 plate discipline and appears lost at the plate....still.
The freshman appear to be ok both in the field and at the plate.
But, we have definite issues in the circle and what appears to be lack of leadership.
I was hoping Reid would have developed some off speed stuff to go with what she brought last year but, didn't see it tonight.
It's a long season and hopefully Lonnie can figure things out. But, with our schedule and what I saw tonight we may have to accept that this will not be the normal successful year for FSU softball.

Reactions: bungman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT