ADVERTISEMENT

Martial Arts School question....

mjpwooo

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Tampa, FL
I posted this several months back, and wanted to check back in on the topic. I'm going to sign my kids (boy - 11, girl - 8) for martial arts this fall (vs baseball/softball).

There's a place 2 minutes from the house that has several options.
- Tae Kwon Do...I'm not interested in this for the kids.
- Kids Jiu-Jitsu (http://southtampajiujitsu.com/). Have an interest in this for them.
- Krav Maga (http://martialartsadvantage.com/). Based on very little reading, this is very intriguing.

Anyone have any input? The Jiu Jitsu is affiliated with what I've read is a very highly thought of instructor, which is a good thing. But I don't know how to evaluate the Krav Maga, the lady just told me it was a mix/match of several different types of arts.

Purpose:
- discipline for the kids, although they are good kids
- give them something to do this fall
- self-defense
- continue to have their motor skills and strength developed in an avenue that's NOT on the baseball field

Thanks for any feedback.

From 5 until 18 I took a number of martial arts classes and honestly the best one in my opinion was Tae Kwon Do. It's a very kick oriented style which has a lot of cardio, balance and core strength building activities. Over the years I also took American Open-Style Karate, judo, praying mantis Kung fu, shorin-Ryu Okinawan karate, Olympic style boxing and the tiniest bit of Jiu-jitsu. I received a black belt in Tae kwon do and a brown belt in American Open Style Karate so those two I stayed in the longest. My experiences are 20+ years ago so really wtf do I know but I thought I'd share anyways since I'm taking a break on drafting a business plan. Truthfully I'd let them try all three (usually there's some type of introductory plan or free trial) and see which ones THEY like best not what you like best.

I'm curious what the issue with baseball is? Just want a change or did something happen?

IMO I would go with BJJ and I am looking at this from a pure workout and fighting stand point. Tae Kwon Do is really more about discipline and fitness for kids. Sure you learn a few things but to be honest it is not a fighting martial art. I would also look at Judo, many good things for kids to learn from Judo. As far as Krav IMO it is the best martial art out there, the issue is finding a TRUE Krav certified instructor. When the military looked at what we would use Krav was the top choice; the reason we went with a BJJ base was the lack of true Krav instructors. I would also watch how the instructor teaches kids. Being a good instructor and being a good instructor with kids are 2 different things. The guy I had my kids go to was fantastic with kids. Spent 30-45 minutes on fitness, skills and technique; then the last 10-15 minutes they played a game like dodge ball or something. Hope you find the right thing and IMO it does really boil down to the instructor and how he works with the kids.

Reactions: RTM58
Isn't Jiu-Jitsu the most used. I would go with that if those are my choices.

Still think wrestling is the best if you're looking for physical fitness, social aspects, how to defend ones self, discipline, etc

From 5 until 18 I took a number of martial arts classes and honestly the best one in my opinion was Tae Kwon Do. It's a very kick oriented style which has a lot of cardio, balance and core strength building activities. Over the years I also took American Open-Style Karate, judo, praying mantis Kung fu, shorin-Ryu Okinawan karate, Olympic style boxing and the tiniest bit of Jiu-jitsu. I received a black belt in Tae kwon do and a brown belt in American Open Style Karate so those two I stayed in the longest. My experiences are 20+ years ago so really wtf do I know but I thought I'd share anyways since I'm taking a break on drafting a business plan. Truthfully I'd let them try all three (usually there's some type of introductory plan or free trial) and see which ones THEY like best not what you like best.

Is there anything you do not know or haven't done.? You have the experiences of a 100 year old man. :D

But to answer your question I rack it up on trivia night on all of the sciences, history, food, pop culture etc...where my jeopardy weakness is lies in sports trivia (I just don't care who played shortstop for the losing team in the 67 world series), music trivia and the theatre. So when I get a trivia partner who can rock out the showtunes and sports minutia I'm unstoppable. By myself, I usually get hung up.

IMO I would go with BJJ and I am looking at this from a pure workout and fighting stand point. Tae Kwon Do is really more about discipline and fitness for kids. Sure you learn a few things but to be honest it is not a fighting martial art. I would also look at Judo, many good things for kids to learn from Judo. As far as Krav IMO it is the best martial art out there, the issue is finding a TRUE Krav certified instructor. When the military looked at what we would use Krav was the top choice; the reason we went with a BJJ base was the lack of true Krav instructors. I would also watch how the instructor teaches kids. Being a good instructor and being a good instructor with kids are 2 different things. The guy I had my kids go to was fantastic with kids. Spent 30-45 minutes on fitness, skills and technique; then the last 10-15 minutes they played a game like dodge ball or something. Hope you find the right thing and IMO it does really boil down to the instructor and how he works with the kids.

I will ask the place who teaches the Krav and try to research. May post some info on the teacher....if I find it.

Thanks.

TaeKwon-Do is a sure fire fighting art. It's named "a killing art" for a reason.

As for your kids...whether TKD would be good is primarily on the quality of the instructor. That's for all arts in general. Personally...I'd go TKD and BJJ so they get both the stand up and ground game both at a young age.

393846-47ec7cee-cf33-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

I posted this several months back, and wanted to check back in on the topic.
- Kids Jiu-Jitsu (http://southtampajiujitsu.com/). Have an interest in this for them.

Anyone have any input? The Jiu Jitsu is affiliated with what I've read is a very highly thought of instructor, which is a good thing.

I train with the "very highly thought of instructor" you mention, Robson Moura, at the main school near Oldsmar. The teacher at the South Tampa school, Lane, is excellent. There is a lot of cross training between the two locations and Lane and his students are both very skilled and good people. You can't go wrong there and I am going to start training over there one day a week when I return from traveling in a few weeks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT