ADVERTISEMENT

Martin St Louis

timbo37059

Seminole Insider
Feb 28, 2007
I have the center ice package and flipped on the rangers lightning game. Very nice tribute for Marty by the lightning leaving him emotional. Seems some like the lightning fans have gotten over the bad blood from last year. Good to see, I love that guy and he did a lot of the Tampa club.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm glad they did it, I'm also glad I wasn't there last night. I still haven't gotten over it. I was the biggest Marty fan there is. I ha e numerous pieces of signed memorabilia and his #26 was on my season ticket member jersey. The way he left really rubbed me the wrong way. The Bolts were in the middle of a run to the playoffs, and as a captain he decides to get his panties in a bunch about not getting picked for the Olympic team. That is bailing on your team. I will someday get over it and hope we will retire his number someday, but I am not there yet.

I hear ya. I have relatives in VT and went to a lot of games when he was at UVM. The guy is one of my hockey hero's, being a short kid who played hockey in New England growing up, I loved his style and smarts on the ice. I feel that the trade will help the Lightning in the long term. Something happened between him and Stevie Y, especially as a fan I can understand why you feel that way. I hope you keep that memorabilia and can see what he did for the club down the road. That cup season by Marty was so special and I would never imagine in a million years he could do what he did.

I could see how a Bolts fan would be torn on this - I am not a Rangers fan, but I would not have wanted to take this guy on my team because he was pissed about the Olympics....

Originally posted by nolealum99:
I'm glad they did it, I'm also glad I wasn't there last night. I still haven't gotten over it. I was the biggest Marty fan there is. I ha e numerous pieces of signed memorabilia and his #26 was on my season ticket member jersey. The way he left really rubbed me the wrong way. The Bolts were in the middle of a run to the playoffs, and as a captain he decides to get his panties in a bunch about not getting picked for the Olympic team. That is bailing on your team. I will someday get over it and hope we will retire his number someday, but I am not there yet.
Alot of people still feel the same way as you do as well when reading twitter last week.

Originally posted by JacksonvilleBlue904:

Alot of people still feel the same way as you do as well when reading twitter last week.
My thoughts on MSL are pretty well identical to 99s. If I'd been at the game last week, I would have booed him; I, too, am still pissed about the way he bailed on his teammates, the franchise who gave him a shot when nobody else would, and the fans who cheered him on for many years.

I'm sure I will eventually let it go; I'll eventually applaud him again and will want to be there when they retire 26 into the rafters of the Ice Palace. But that sure as hell would not have happened in his first trip back to Tampa.

I see how that can cut either way. You have to keep in mind Marty has been told he's not good enough, big enough, or strong enough...that he won't "survive" for pretty much his entire career.

The only way for him to make it is to be twice as feisty and competitive. I don't think anyone can argue he did not put his heart out on the line every night. The down-side of that is when he does get both snubbed and traded, he'll be twice as pissy about it. So not wanting him after the Olympics snub is a short-sighted perspective.

In the end the move is a solid one for both Tampa and NYR. Callahan is a tough guy, great leader and NYR made it to the Cup finals.

Originally posted by SeaPA:
Originally posted by JacksonvilleBlue904:

My thoughts on MSL are pretty well identical to 99s. If I'd been at the game last week, I would have booed him; I, too, am still pissed about the way he bailed on his teammates, the franchise who gave him a shot when nobody else would, and the fans who cheered him on for many years.

I'm sure I will eventually let it go; I'll eventually applaud him again and will want to be there when they retire 26 into the rafters of the Ice Palace. But that sure as hell would not have happened in his first trip back to Tampa.
Unfortunately some people will never let it go . There's still quite a few who boo Jagr every time he plays at Consol.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:
I see how that can cut either way. You have to keep in mind Marty has been told he's not good enough, big enough, or strong enough...that he won't "survive" for pretty much his entire career.

The only way for him to make it is to be twice as feisty and competitive. I don't think anyone can argue he did not put his heart out on the line every night. The down-side of that is when he does get both snubbed and traded, he'll be twice as pissy about it. So not wanting him after the Olympics snub is a short-sighted perspective.

In the end the move is a solid one for both Tampa and NYR. Callahan is a tough guy, great leader and NYR made it to the Cup finals.
I completely agree about Marty. He was always a feisty guy who played bigger than he was. My biggest problem with Marty, is tends to be only offensive minded. If you watch him play, he cherry picks a lot. It actually surprised me when I looked at his stats. The year I noticed him cherry picking the most (last year before trade), was the most plus he has been since 03-04 at +12, with many of these years being minus. That is the one thing we get with Callahan that you don't get with Marty. Callahan is willing to play both ways, is AWESOME at going into the corner to dig a puck out, and is younger. Bolts definitely got the better end of the deal at this point in their careers. As of today Marty's stat line is 10G, 10A, and -3. Callahan is only a goal better @ 11. the same number of assists, but is at +8. Those facts and if he had anything to do with luring the key additions of Stralman and Boyle make me like him even more.

I will get over it eventually but I hate a captain doing that to his team.

Yep - Filppula is a huge addition as well. That's a guy that you can plug into any system and find a way to make your team better. I love the Finns.

I watched a bit of the Sabres game Tuesday night. Namestnikov has some wheels. Very promising.

Namestnikov just got assigned to Syracuse. Of course he is one of those guys who is just a phone call away. Great brawls in the game last night. I think the Bolts had 7 guys on the bench at the end of the game!! Refs let it get out of hand and it got chippy. Then 10 min misconducts started to get thrown around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT