ADVERTISEMENT

Match Ups to Watch — FSU Def. v. ND Off.

FriedmanIP

All-ACC
Mar 8, 2018
Disclaimer: I’ve tried to hold off on commenting too much on this game until today, just to keep things civil. But now that it’s game day, here we go…

Obviously, every matchup matters, and depending on how some matchups go these may not end up even being the most influential. (For example, if the ND OG/C absolutely dominate the FSU DT again and thus ND runs for 10+ YPC again… Nothing else really matters. But there is no point in talking through that situation, it’s boring.)

So, assuming a match up like that doesn’t completely break the game, these are the match ups that I think are most critical…

(1) ND OT’s v. FSU DE
This seems like Florida states best chance to attack the Notre Dame offense, as OT is likely the position that Notre Dame is taking the biggest step backwards at and Florida state has brought in some new personnel at DE. However, I think it’s unfair to simply assume that DE will be improved over to NFL draft picks, especially considering that Jermaine Johnson was a back up at Georgia and Keir Thomas was part of a truly awful South Carolina team.

That dynamic is why I think this match up it’s so interesting.

If Florida State can dominate this match up, it can use the pressure off the edges to completely change the Notre Dame offense.
However, it seems an open question as to how capable these DE will be in the run game… Which should be the strength of the ND OT’s. Will that allow Andy to consistently get to the edges and force Florida State Defense to completely realign?

Both teams have a real chance in this match up, and it has the potential to I have a major influence on the side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News