ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Norvell's introductory press conference w/ transcript (photos added)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
TRANSCRIPT

Thrasher talking now. Says it's a "wonderful, wonderful day for Florida State University."

Thrasher said he feels boosters will find out very quickly that "our football program is in excellent hands with Coach Norvell.

"I love Odell Haggins. I love him. ... He came forward for the second time when we needed him the most. ... Odell, I hope all of you will join me in thanking him for what he's done."

Thrasher: "The search itself was professionally done." ... Thanks the search firm. "It was a comprehensive search. We vetted coaches from around the country."

Thrasher: "This gentleman right here, Coach Norvell, is the only person that I offered the job to. And I couldn't be happier that he accepted."

Coburn is up next.

Coburn: "We had a lot of interest in this job. A lot of interest. Coach Norvell was one of the first people we interviewed. And the last one. ... From the very beginning we really liked him and that impacted us the whole way. Many of the coaches we talked to were impressive, but none were as impressive as this guy."

Coburn: "He's exactly what we need for this program at this time."

Now Norvell is up.

"What an incredible day. I stand before you humbled and honored to be the head coach at Florida State University. ... I can tell you this is an exciting day for Florida State football, the future and what's to come."

Says he's excited to take one of the iconic brands of college football back to where it's supposed to be.

"I'm so grateful for the new platform. What an extraordinary place. Walking across that football field. It was breathtaking. ... This is a special place, a special time and a special opportunity."

"It was an easy (choice) because of the leadership, the passion and the support of everything that's been poured into this program over the years. ... I thank you for choosing me. ... I can promise you I'm going to make you proud with what I do every single day."

"To Memphis ... one of the hardest meetings I've ever had in my life was this morning when I talked to those players and those coaches. ... If I was ever to leave it had to be for the right fit, the right place. I'm so grateful for the four years I had there, but I know this is the place, this is the time."

"To all the past Seminoles, the former players, the lettermen, I thank you for what you've done. ... We are going to go something special here because of the work you've done."

"To the former players I understand the responsibility I have. I understand the obligation. I understand who I represent. ... We're going to do things the Nole way. And that's to be excellent in everything that we do. ... We're going to approach everything with a championship mindset ... with championship values ... because this program is going back to the top. So I thank all of the former players."

Now he's thanking the high school coaches in the state of Florida. "I'm so excited about the opportunity of getting to know you."

"It is a new day for Florida State. It's a new opportunity. We're going to bring a new-school approach with old-school philosophy. ... We have an iconic brand. We have a special opportunity. It's going to take each and every one of us. ... I'm going to give all that I have in every aspect to pour into these players, to pour into this community."

"There's a tradition of excellence here. A standard. That tradition is what brought me here."

"I can tell you you chose the right man. ... I can tell you that we're going to have a football team that's going to play with a certain focus, a certain pride. ... Our Seminole football team is going to play smart. ... We're going to have a football team that's focused on discipline, on structure. ... Most people talk about playing fast, and we're going to do that, but if you don't play smart, man, you can play fast going in the wrong direction and then you're going backwards."

"We're going to have a football team that plays physical. Toughness is going to be displayed every day."

Says he believes special teams is the backbone of a football team.

"We're going to be a football team that's passionate about finishing. ... We're going to finish games. We're going to finish plays. Our effort will be outdone by no one. ... We're going to be a football team that can respond to adversity. And we're going to be a football team that knows how to respond to success. Because success is coming."

"I'm going to work extremely hard every single day to make you proud. ... I'm not going to stand in front of you today asking for your trust, just give me an opportunity to show you that I'm trustworthy."

Now he's taking questions. That was all off the cuff. Didn't look like he was reading any notes.

On why he chose FSU:
"When you look at the opportunity to meet our leadership ... I knew this program was destined to greatness. It just needed the right leader."

On how to attack recruiting:
"The minute I get off this stage, that's all our focus. ... It's an exciting time. There's a lot of buzz. There's a lot of focus on today. In recruiting it all comes down to relationships. ... The good thing is I've done it before. ... We're excited about what the future holds ... I'm looking forward to spreading the good news."

On timetable to getting back to championship caliber:
"Every single day my expectation is to be best version on ourselves. My focus is going to be on personnel immediately, make sure I can bring the best coaching staff in college football in Tallahassee. ... Then recruiting our players, that on our campus, what it takes ... I'm not going to put any limitations on what we can be."

On first memories of FSU football:
"I was 12 years old. Grew up in Dallas, Texas. ... I only had one college football memorabilia. It was a 1993 license plate recognizing the Florida State football national championship. .... It's going to be a special place for me and my family."

On his message to recruits:
"You can get it all here. You have a Top 20 academic insutation ... incredible brand ... fan support. This is where you want to be ... knowing that you can be showcased at an elite level. ... This will be a program that is built for playmakers. And if they have any questions I have plenty of film to show them."

On timeline of hiring/interview process:
"The timeline was unique. During our bye week I had a little bit of time to be able to meet up with President Thrasher and the whole group. That was a great meeting, a moment."

Says he's not sure he'll coach in the Cotton Bowl. Says he was given a standing ovation by the Memphis football players during his meeting this morning.

On hiring coaches:
"I think the key component to success in college football is evaluation. It's something I take a great deal of pride in. ... I've hired 26 coaches the last couple of years. ... I want guys that can inspire our student-athletes ... to be able to live in that championship motto, to inspire them to be better than they think they can be. My phone is definitely ringing off the hook. ... I make sure we bring in the right fit, ... I can tell you it's going to be one of the best coaching staffs in the country."

"To Odell Haggins, the job that he did, what he did in a time of adversity, the way that they played, that was part of the reason I chose these young men and this opportunity. ... I'm grateful for the work that he did. ... I'm excited about working with this group each and every day."

On first meeting with FSU hiring group:
"I was so very impressed. ... That group, they have it figured out. You could sense the passion, the sense of purpose. ... That's what I told them: I want to be the coach to get us back. .. To give college football what it needs, and that's Florida State football to be elite."

On philosophies:
"There were years at Memphis where we rushed for over 4,000 yards. And we still threw for over 3,000. ... Defensive mentality, we're going to attack. ... We're going to be one of the best special teams teams in the country because of the time we put into it."

Plan to get inroads into Florida:
"It takes time. Building relationships take time. Building trust takes time. And the only way you can build trust is to make daily deposits. .... As we get into spring ball ... being able to have open doors, be able to show who we are and what we are. ... I want them to see it in how we practice and how we prepare, so when kids come to them for reccomendations."

And that's a wrap. That was a lot. But I did it. I made it happen. Press conference is over. We love you all.

----------------------------------------

Sounds like it’s running a little late. Will have stream here when it starts.
Norvell is here. He just walked the field with his wife and daughter, with the band playing right beside them. Now he's on his way up for the press conference. We'll keep you updated!

There will be a live stream. We'll add the link here in a second.

——-

Good morning! We'll be at Doak Campbell Stadium this morning for Mike Norvell's introductory press conference.

Check back around 11 a.m. or shortly after updates on his arrival. The press conference is scheduled t begin at noon.

If the live stream is available, we will have it here.

A few photos from Norvell's arrival at Doak Campbell:
axtvm21slxl84znxgaml

ie4wucsdx6mv5vbke4zn

ianc40k9ynfpfi5bnybq

jspncabtj7i2gnhjnizf

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News