ADVERTISEMENT

Mob Rules

David Slaton

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
About a year ago I posted here that FSU should ignore the mob and refrain from firing Coach Taggart. The post got quite a few likes and also quite a few angry responses. If you want to take a trip down memory lane, here it is https://floridastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/stay-the-course-fsu-ignore-the-mob.270685/

I write today to survey the wreckage done by the mob. FSU listened to the mob and fired Coach Taggart. The reasoning at the time, which I read in print, was that the team just couldn't ignore the complaints and threats of the Boosters. I think the statement was something like a change had to be made to keep our Boosters happy. I'm curious but are the current results with this new coach causing Booster contributions to go up or down? What do you think? What do you think our prospects are for next year both for ticket sales and Booster contributions? How has changing coaches affected our financial situation?

The fact is it was a mistake to fire Coach Taggart after 20 games. You may not have liked his style, I didn't sometimes, but it's not like we picked him from obscurity. He was a coach at a Power 5 school. Take a look at FAU's record currently, they are 4-1 and in second place.

Well, what's done is done. The key is not to repeat those same mistakes and stay the course with Coach Norvell. That includes not firing coordinators either at this point. Everyone's got to be given a couple of years and the head coach has to be given three or four. No more knee jerk reactions! The mob is uninformed and it always will be.

EDIT:
After reading some of the responses, which I appreciate, I wanted to mention that this is neither a pro-Taggart nor anti-Norvell post. Notice that I advocate each man should have kept/should keep his job. Rather, I'm criticizing the decision to participate in the college coaching carousel. So far, like all carousels, we've gotten nowhere.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News