ADVERTISEMENT

More gov handouts

My only beef here is that the student loan relief is a bandaid. College tuitions absurd increases will continue and make higher education (and a work force more capable of leading innovation) more difficult to attain.

Gotta nip the problem in the bud. Couple the relief with some steps to reform the ridiculous rate at which the cost of education has increased.
Administrators at higher education doubled between 2010 and 2021.

Nope, not even close. But my comment was directed at the poster complaining about non-sports on this particular board. I think the "hall monitors" over here are doing a great job.

Signed,

Banned on WC and multiple warnings

PS - I'm female and 69 years old, for what that's worth. 😊
Guess who is still a "hall monitor" over there. 😠

And while they are at it, if they want to Build Back Better, why not build two bedroom apartments back to $800 a month? Or build canned sodas and individual sized chocolate bars back to 50 cents?

When I came out of FSU in 2000, I saw an advertisement for a two bedroom apartment with a decent amount of extra bells and whistles for $750 per month, and an advertisement for an entry level job in my field for $12 an hour. Fast forward to today. The same apartment is now $1600 a month. The same job now wants a degree and three years experience but still pays $12 an hour. There is something seriously wrong here.
Five guys is paying 20+ an hour and no degree. Yet companies wonder why they cant attract talent.

And while they are at it, if they want to Build Back Better, why not build two bedroom apartments back to $800 a month? Or build canned sodas and individual sized chocolate bars back to 50 cents?

When I came out of FSU in 2000, I saw an advertisement for a two bedroom apartment with a decent amount of extra bells and whistles for $750 per month, and an advertisement for an entry level job in my field for $12 an hour. Fast forward to today. The same apartment is now $1600 a month. The same job now wants a degree and three years experience but still pays $12 an hour. There is something seriously wrong here.
What is your field, if I may ask? No-skill jobs are now paying $15-$18/hour in hopes they can attract folks to show up.

Reactions: fsufool
Just want to say that it’s nice to have this debate and see folks form all ideologies tell this one dude who’s upset that we’re talking policy to get over it.

What is your field, if I may ask? No-skill jobs are now paying $15-$18/hour in hopes they can attract folks to show up.
This summer my 20 year old son was offered $16-$17 hour for retail jobs, $17 for hosting at restaurants, lifeguard $14.50. He decided to be a server and averaged over $26 hour at a couple restaurants. Made $17K+ or so in less than 3 months. (He was working 60-70 hours a week.

But he was interested in making as much money as possible to fund his 3 month jaunt back backing Europe. Also bought a cheap car with his earnings for when he gets back to take out west where he will work as a ski instructor for the season before returning to school (U of Utah) for the summer. He is deciding on ski instructor jobs paying anywhere from $20/hour plus tips to $31.50 hours plus tips. The lessor amount offers subsidized housing. Aspen/Snowmass is the higher amount, but he will need to figure out housing there. Still has one more interview, so we will see where he ends up.

If you are motivated, you can make a good amount of money with these jobs that require little in training (ski instruction does require some).

Oh, and part of the reason for increased administrative load is because of increasingly expansive and onerous federal and state regulation. Eliminate the regulations and you eliminate the need for more administration. Ie, the problem is largely the gov’s fault, not the universities.
In your post immediately above this you advocate for more regulation and administration

- more than half of college students have less than 20k debt.

- the median debt is around 18k

- neither figure is terribly daunting for a college grad and not dissimilar to what it was 20 years ago

- why is that given all the press on rising college costs? Well, take Florida as an example. Most of the students at fsu and uf, our two flagships, are subsidized based on performance. Eg bright futures. So, their costs aren’t that high.

even if you aren’t a superstar, we have pell grants for the poor, we have community college. Do two years and then do the four year degree, much cheaper. We have work programs. And, one can just get a regular college student type job. There are tons of them.

there’s no reason to take on massive debt that directly has to do with college costs. Much of the problem is simply poor decision making, which is enabled by too freely available unsecured and un evaluated credit.

- much of the debt is grad students going to marginal programs. We do not need to subsidize whatever grad program decision a student makes. We already have subsidies for people going to good programs and working in areas that are important.

- at the margins, you have people using student loans as welfare. Think ged, goes to community college maxes loans, goes to commuter school and maxes loans. Never graduates. Or graduates with crappy gpa, learning little.

I see little reason to justify a giveaway for what is largely irresponsible decision making on quickly available money.

I’d consider the following. Don’t allow publically available student loans to be used at private schools, or for profit schools. I might consider eliminating public loans for graduate schools.

turn student loans back over to the private sector. Allow them to be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

monitor default rates by university. If a university sports a low graduation rate, a high default rate and maybe a poor job placement rate, don’t allow public loans.
While generally I like your last 4 ideas, I disagree with your characterization of college costs. Even with a merit scholarship and going to a state school with low tuition, my son's college education will exceed $75,000. That's for one. Imagine if you had multiple children. College costs have outstripped inflation for decades. Current costs aren't comparable to costs even 1 decade ago, let alone 2-3 decades when most of the parents went to college. And it is the middle class that gets the biggest hits, especially the upper middle class where I reside. Now we saved well and my parents got us started with a good amount, but that is a function of being in the upper middle class. Middle class parents find themselves overwhelmed easily by college costs. And student loans are very important to their children ability to go to college. Wiping $10K off is a bargain for a society that depends on educated workers.

Having said all that, we do encourage too many kids to go to traditional college. Some of those would be better off going to technical school or being trained in things like plumbing, carpentry, electricians (HVAC), etc.

Reactions: bcherod
It's very misleading to look at average debt. It's skewed, not a normal distribution. Median debt is ~20K today. Costs may exceed 75K. Cool. So, if they work 20 hours a week at 15$ an hour for 4 years it = $57,600.

I'm not arguing that college costs aren't over the inflation rate. I'm arguing that fact is 1) because of a combination of gov regulation and changes in state subsidies and 2) that, even with costs outstripping inflation, the median debt level is manageable and not that different than 10-20 years ago and 3) much of the extreme, debilitating debt is ill advised graduate school and 4) most of the extreme, debilitating debt is wholly the consequence of factors other than college costs and has to do with poor decision making. Wiping 10K off is not a bargain as the workers society wants and needs aren't the ones making financially foolish decisions.
I'm a data guy, so you are going to have to provide some level of data for #3 and #4.

I think you are pushing a narrative here and missing the forrest for the trees.
Here are facts:
1. Going to college has been propagandized to the young as the "only" way to find success as an adult. This is pushed by the entire educational class and the government and hit the working class/middle class hard because of #2.
2. Wages for the middle class has stagnated since 1970
3. College costs have increased more than inflation for more than a generation.

Because of these three facts, college affordability has gone down significantly. Into this void comes government back loans designed to help the middle class send their kids to college (the lower classes have much more in direct subsidies available). But as costs go up and income stays stagnant more and more students lean on more loan $$$. It is the only way it can happen given those three facts.

FYI, not that it matters, it looks like median loan amount is closer to $25K than $20K. 20% of individuals graduate with more than $50K in loans. Only 2% have more than $100K.
I found one study that looked at median debt in Wisconsin and controlled for inflation. In 2010 median debt was $14,500 which went to $17,500 in 2019 an increase of 21%. So, I doubt your assertion that median debt not increasing is correct. I also found average debt by degree type and the largest debt was for those graduating medical school ($191K), second was Law School graduates ($140K), third was MBAs ($89,900) and 4th was Masters in Engineering ($65K) followed by other Master's $63,400 and finally Masters of Art ($62,800). So I think your thesis of bad decisions is overblown as the top 4 categories are the highest income categories.

At public universities, 42 percent have no debt. 65 percent have less than 20K debt. 0. 5percent of public university undergrad degree holders incur 6 fig debt.

Median student loan debt 2021 = 19K . https://thecollegeinvestor.com/32031/average-student-loan-debt-by-year/

As you've pointed out, masters degrees other (~63K debt), masters of arts (63 K debt). Law school encompasses a massive range with people graduating from schools that have terrible salary payouts with 6 fig debt. Same with MBAs; lots of crappy schools in that mix causing nearly 100 K debt. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/student-loans/average-student-loan-debt-graduate-school#:~:text=The average total student loan debt of $82,800,who enroll in longer programs — owe $183,200. Average debt across graduate students is about ~80K.

And, take a look at these morons:

https://www.apa.org/gradpsych/2013/11/debt Note this article is from 2013. It's worse now. Check out these as well:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31800062/#:~:text=The most frequently reported debt range for doctor,as a barrier to their desired practice setting. 120K average debt to be a freaking PT.

Similar story for applied degrees in things like OT or Speech Therapy. or see 150K to be a witch doctor, otherwise known as chiropractor.

Those data encompass a lot of bad decisions.

Also, our middle class has shifted. https://money.cnn.com/2016/06/21/news/economy/upper-middle-class/index.html with expansion of the upper middle class. It is misleading to say wages have stagnated.

Check out the average debt in 2021 dollars. It is marginally more expensive than in 2000 and about 30 percent up compared to 1996.
I enjoyed that article on the UM class earnings.
Still at it on the decisions?????? People make bad decisions all the time, including even you.
And I said wages for the MIDDLE CLASS has stagnated, which is correct.

score a 140 on the lsat? Maybe you should consider a different career, yes?
Of course, but using exceptions to prove a general point doesn't work. Just like the welfare queens buying cigarettes and liquor with food stamps. Might it have happened? Sure. But is it the norm? Not even close.

The mortgage interest deduction for taxable income is a give away, but we as a society decided that encouraging home ownership is worth it even if the wealthy get the advantage when they don't need it.

I think we spend way too much money on "national defense," but I recognize it as what the majority wants to do and therefore accept it as legitimate.

Of course, but using exceptions to prove a general point doesn't work. Just like the welfare queens buying cigarettes and liquor with food stamps. Might it have happened? Sure. But is it the norm? Not even close.

The mortgage interest deduction for taxable income is a give away, but we as a society decided that encouraging home ownership is worth it even if the wealthy get the advantage when they don't need it.

I think we spend way too much money on "national defense," but I recognize it as what the majority wants to do and therefore accept it as legitimate.
A discussion on the positive effects of mortgage deductions - if done in a manner that encourages rational discussion and thoughtful listening to an array of opinions - would be interesting. But alas thoughtful and rational are increasingly in short supply.

I don’t know where you live but there’s a job on Indeed for a dishwasher starting at $15 an hour here in Jacksonville. Seriously 😳
Taco Bell about a mile down the road needs high school kids to start at $14.

My friend’s grandson graduated from college last spring and had four offers to start at $50-55K.

The apartment thing is crazy but if you can’t pay cash for a $450K house that maybe has 1400 sq ft then the $1600 apartment is your option. By the demand it’s apparent that not many 28-29 year olds have that much cash saved up.
The investment groups that buying up houses are an enormous problem at least here in Jax. But the proverbial screeching halt is happening.

And this has what to do with Seminole football?

My point was that the new narrative being pushed is all 87,000 new agents, if that is even close to being accurate, are going after the middle class. That's just peddling fear.
A nation in debt is a nation enslaved. Most of politics is based on fear, I agree. Along with non-issues like statues and gender that are smoke screens to hide the real skullduggery taking place.

Real change and economic freedom for the American people can only occur when:
1) Abolish the IRS
2) Institute a flat tax, no exemptions, no write offs. Everyone pays the same %.
3) Eliminate the Federal Reserve System
4) Eliminate fractional reserve banking or at least increase the reserve amounts from its current 1 to 10 ratio.

Its amazing that people argue over the deeds of people that lived over 200 years ago and express outrage that their values aren't same as our current values. Meanwhile, banks can charge in excess of 20% interest and have essentially removed the value of return interest on savings, and not a word about it. The American people are lost.

Last edited:
Nope, not even close. But my comment was directed at the poster complaining about non-sports on this particular board. I think the "hall monitors" over here are doing a great job.

Signed,

Banned on WC and multiple warnings

PS - I'm female and 69 years old, for what that's worth. 😊
Yep. I agree, monitors are doing a great job so far. This board is night and day from what it was before the Osceola took over.

Reactions: EvilTwin

Yeah, but... you're missing the real victories here: we've ripped down every statue that offended someone, we can be non-binary, was born a girl but have the right to identify yourself as "Joe", and Mr. Potato Head, is now called Potato Head.

Meanwhile, the masses of American people are being economically sodomized by both political parties who create issues that divide us and impoverish us....

And I would never have come to this board to begin with except when I opened the Osceloa on my Ipad this was one of the highlighted threads. So I was curious. I wish the Osceola will stick to just sports.
Sir, in the attitude of gratitude department, just be thankful you didn’t wander over to the UF site and their version of this board… Everything Butt Sports.

Go Noles!

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
🤔
IRS is one of those things that does create fear...with or without 87,000 new agents. 😱
What I am most fearful of is the rampant incompetence the IRS will necessarily hire during this dragnet. There are not 87,000 qualified/competent professionals out there willing to work for the IRS at what the IRS is willing to pay. The sh*t-show is just beginning.

Sir, in the attitude of gratitude department, just be thankful you didn’t wander over to the UF site and their version of this board… Everything Butt Sports.

Go Noles!
Their “Parking Lot” non sports board is dwindling down to a few Proud Boy types who have been banned on other sites. One is a “Sovereign Citizen” high school dropout, another is a 24/7/365 little tyrant troll, and yet another still thinks at any moment 2020 will be overturned. I rarely go there now.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My only beef here is that the student loan relief is a bandaid. College tuitions absurd increases will continue and make higher education (and a work force more capable of leading innovation) more difficult to attain.

Gotta nip the problem in the bud. Couple the relief with some steps to reform the ridiculous rate at which the cost of education has increased.
Cut student loans to 25% of what they currently are, and the bloated overpriced university systems would come back to earth. The higher cost of education has correlated with more student loans.

Just a big middle finger to the rest of America. This is vote buying. It will be cancelled after the mid-terms when Joe finds out he can't do this. Smh.
I dont disagree but many of those with tons of student dept were in his corner already. Must be some other pork attached to this as well.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT