ADVERTISEMENT

My Awkward Day in Court

TheSentinel

Contributor
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2004
I traveled from Atlanta to Thomasville for a hearing yesterday. The opposing lawyer is a former starting quarterback for UGA. It quickly became obvious that the judge is a huge UGA fan and is a bit star-struck by the other lawyer. After we wrapped up the hearing with the judge reserving a ruling, he started quizzing the other lawyer about UGA's prospects this year. Somehow, the judge then turned his attention to FSU, saying that he had never liked Bobby Bowden because he felt that Bobby started all of the "immorality" at FSU. But, he said, he had gained some respect for Bobby after hearing him say that Jameis had been an embarrassment to the university. Then Everett Golson came up, and co-counsel for the other side said that he had the kind of character that would fit right in at FSU. After about five minutes of this, the judge then asked me which team I root for. I told him that in light of his comments and in the best interests of my client, I was going to take the Fifth on answering his question. It was truly awkward.

I usually take this stuff with a large grain of salt, but it is seriously amazing how this stuff sticks to FSU more than any other university in the country this side of Miami.

Reactions: Bartdog
I traveled from Atlanta to Thomasville for a hearing yesterday. The opposing lawyer is a former starting quarterback for UGA. It quickly became obvious that the judge is a huge UGA fan and is a bit star-struck by the other lawyer. After we wrapped up the hearing with the judge reserving a ruling, he started quizzing the other lawyer about UGA's prospects this year. Somehow, the judge then turned his attention to FSU, saying that he had never liked Bobby Bowden because he felt that Bobby started all of the "immorality" at FSU. But, he said, he had gained some respect for Bobby after hearing him say that Jameis had been an embarrassment to the university. Then Everett Golson came up, and co-counsel for the other side said that he had the kind of character that would fit right in at FSU. After about five minutes of this, the judge then asked me which team I root for. I told him that in light of his comments and in the best interests of my client, I was going to take the Fifth on answering his question. It was truly awkward.

I usually take this stuff with a large grain of salt, but it is seriously amazing how this stuff sticks to FSU more than any other university in the country this side of Miami.
Better hope the UGA lawyer doesn't have access to one of those fine Thomasville quail plantations or you're client is cooked.

You're telling me a former Georgia player can talk and chew gum at the same time? I don't believe your story. I can see the pixels from here.

Reactions: DanC78
Was this the judge?

f31262216e515bb0fd0e766c28e95379b9b1b60e.jpg

Yeah, Bobby sure brought in those bad guys. That 'ol favorite son from Thomasville, Charlie Ward, sure was one of 'em.

Who was the ex UGA QB/Attorney?

What was the outcome?

And were defending the two "yuts"

It's pathetic how some people are so all-consumed with college football.

There are certain judges who are absolutely corrupt in this regard. These types are beholden to former players who come before them, and even well-placed boosters who channel them sweet tickets to games, coaches' appearances, alumni golf junkets, etc. It is the exception and not the rule, but it absolutely happens. The general public would go berserk if it knew some of the incredible goings-on in the state court judicial process.

Agreed.

And also, if you're in court in rural Georgia, which certainly includes Thomasville...I'd say you've already lost.

It's funny, I grew up in Waycross and my family all still lives there. By background and disposition, I'm a country boy. But these days, when I go to court in certain places outside metro-Atlanta, i would swear that my first name becomes "Atlanta" and my last name becomes "Counsel," because that's the only way some opposing lawyers, and some judges, refer to me. In my experience, Augusta has been the worst by far - certain judges over there make no bones about the fact that they don't want to see any lawyers from Atlanta come into their courtroom. I've been home-cooked at a high boil over there, before I learned that you must associate an Augusta lawyer in any case over there.

Who was the ex UGA QB/Attorney?

What was the outcome?

And were defending the two "yuts"

In fairness, I'll say this - this is a complicated commercial case that has been going on for a while, and despite the fact that the judge fauns over the other lawyer, he really has been fair in his rulings so far. I've won my fair share of the hearings to this point, though the judge literally said after our first hearing that whether I win or lose the case depends on how much "inside information" the other lawyer gives him about UGA. He was joking ... I'm pretty sure.

The other lawyer is Greg Talley, who is a good guy and a good lawyer in my book. Probably a better lawyer than quarterback, come to think of it.

That's an interesting story. Sounds like you're finding despite the judges affinity for Ga ball he's fair. That's pretty common. I run into judges who are as passionate about college football as we are and if the opportunity to talk about it comes up, they do. But I still find almost all of them to be perfectly fair. I realize the less you know them and the more novel the surroundings are, the easier it is to fear home-cooking (this the appearance of impropriety standard we use), but I think most are fair. They're just people too.

Comical to hear SEC fans talking about the supposed morality of other universities. Even more comical coming from slack jawed UGA fans.

Went to law school at UGA. The hatred for Bobby Bowden and FSU was overwhelming. Caught me off guard. I despise the obnoxious Dawg fans, although I certainly can't show it while practicing law amongst them.

There seems to be a general disregard for FSU among SEC schools. The reason is obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT