ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Wrestling Championship

DanC78

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 29, 2003
So another great tournament is going on this week.

These kids are freaks of nature. Right now 125lbs weight class is on. One of the kids in the match can bench press 305 and dead lift 425.....he weights 125....my lord!

Go watch it....good stuff!

QHuS.gif

My son is a wrestler and we’ve been watching Big10 matches all season. We were excited to learn that the national championships are here in Pittsburgh next season.

Such a great sport for kids. Jake’s 9 and just finished his second season about 6 weeks ago. He’s wrestled in several tournaments since then, and the coaches wrapped up practice last night (and handful of kids wanted to keep working out after the regular season ended). He’s going to take a short break, finish hockey, then start wrestling with a local club a few times a week to keep drilling techniques.

He really likes it, but he’s had an amazing season, so winning helps foster the love. :)

As an alum of tOSU (in addition to FSU), I’m a huge Kyle Snyder fan. Talk about a freak of nature.

My son is a wrestler and we’ve been watching Big10 matches all season. We were excited to learn that the national championships are here in Pittsburgh next season.

Such a great sport for kids. Jake’s 9 and just finished his second season about 6 weeks ago. He’s wrestled in several tournaments since then, and the coaches wrapped up practice last night (and handful of kids wanted to keep working out after the regular season ended). He’s going to take a short break, finish hockey, then start wrestling with a local club a few times a week to keep drilling techniques.

He really likes it, but he’s had an amazing season, so winning helps foster the love. :)

As an alum of tOSU (in addition to FSU), I’m a huge Kyle Snyder fan. Talk about a freak of nature.

That’s awesome. We didn’t have cub wrestling in my area as a kid, so I didnt pick it up until 6th grade. We had a freestyle travel group. I wasn’t sure if wrestling was for me after my first year (I lost all my matches...cried after my first loss lol) but I stuck with it going into 7th grade with collegiate rules. I picked it up quick from there and never looked backed.

Wrestling is a 24/7 sport and 75% mental...if not more. I could go on and on about it’s the best sport out there...good for you for getting son involved!

There is a down side to wrestling I have to warn you about.

When it’s over...it’s over. I think it’s the only sport like this, maybe boxing, but still not like wrestling.

Keep your little guy involved in something g he can do his whole life as well...I would recommend golf.

Reactions: jim65 and EconSean
I wrestled in high school many years ago, along with playing baseball and football. I used to get out of shape in baseball, get in decent shape in football, and finally got in great shape during wrestling season. Tough sport - maybe teh ultimate one-on-one sport ;)

It’s physical certainly, but the mental aspect is key too.

We’ve been at a few meets that have 1,000+ fans in the stands. Think about the courage that it takes for an 8-year old kid to walk out onto a mat by himself/herself, knowing that they’re about to “fight” another kid.

Formally it’s a team sport, but it’s really you and only you, you can only rely on yourself.

Turnaround times between matches can be quick (Jake wrestles in both open meets and team duals), so if you lose, you may have to gather yourself very quickly to go back out there again.

Jake took a cheap shot from a kid at a team dual, the kid punched him in the nose and he was literally spurting blood on the mat. Lots of people completely fold at the site of blood, more so if it’s their own, but after the paramedic got the bleeding stopped and we got him cleaned up, I told him he needed to go back out and finish the match, which he did (and brutalized the other kid).

I don’t brag much about anything, but about this, I certainly do. He’s such a sweet, mild mannered kid, until he gets on the mat. Doesn’t hurt that he’s freakishly strong for his size and weight (and can do the splits, which is quite useful for a wrestler...and a hockey goalie).

One thing I do not like about youth wrestling is parents of wrestlers. Lots of a’holes in the stands every weekend. I’ve told Jake that any time a parent yells at him while he’s smashing their kid, he’s to blow them a kiss, turn the kid onto his back, and lock on a nasty, tight cross face. :) (I’m a jerk, I’m not disputing that).

It’s physical certainly, but the mental aspect is key too.

We’ve been at a few meets that have 1,000+ fans in the stands. Think about the courage that it takes for an 8-year old kid to walk out onto a mat by himself/herself, knowing that they’re about to “fight” another kid.

Formally it’s a team sport, but it’s really you and only you, you can only rely on yourself.

Turnaround times between matches can be quick (Jake wrestles in both open meets and team duals), so if you lose, you may have to gather yourself very quickly to go back out there again.

Jake took a cheap shot from a kid at a team dual, the kid punched him in the nose and he was literally spurting blood on the mat. Lots of people completely fold at the site of blood, more so if it’s their own, but after the paramedic got the bleeding stopped and we got him cleaned up, I told him he needed to go back out and finish the match, which he did (and brutalized the other kid).

I don’t brag much about anything, but about this, I certainly do. He’s such a sweet, mild mannered kid, until he gets on the mat. Doesn’t hurt that he’s freakishly strong for his size and weight (and can do the splits, which is quite useful for a wrestler...and a hockey goalie).

One thing I do not like about youth wrestling is parents of wrestlers. Lots of a’holes in the stands every weekend. I’ve told Jake that any time a parent yells at him while he’s smashing their kid, he’s to blow them a kiss, turn the kid onto his back, and lock on a nasty, tight cross face. :) (I’m a jerk, I’m not disputing that).

Parents seem to be more over the top than they were in my day....and it's not limited to wrestling.

Wrestling is a sport where you are only going to be as good as the partner you wrestle everyday in practice. So be sure to get him to as many camps during the summer as possible. That is when championships are won.

While on the mat, it's all on you. No one can come help you, you have to take care of business.

I use this analogy in sales all the time. You need a sales team to help you become better and push you to be the best, but once you are in front of the client...it's all on you...so better come prepared.

Any how...hopefully my boys will want to wrasslers.

Reactions: EconSean
Parents seem to be more over the top than they were in my day....and it's not limited to wrestling.

Wrestling is a sport where you are only going to be as good as the partner you wrestle everyday in practice. So be sure to get him to as many camps during the summer as possible. That is when championships are won.

While on the mat, it's all on you. No one can come help you, you have to take care of business.

I use this analogy in sales all the time. You need a sales team to help you become better and push you to be the best, but once you are in front of the client...it's all on you...so better come prepared.

Any how...hopefully my boys will want to wrasslers.
I started in 2nd grade, as he did. I wrestled until 9th grade and he’s already more accomplished than I was (he’s in 3rd grade now) :) (although my coaches might suggest that I didn’t set the bar too high).

Last edited:
That’s awesome. We didn’t have cub wrestling in my area as a kid, so I didnt pick it up until 6th grade. We had a freestyle travel group. I wasn’t sure if wrestling was for me after my first year (I lost all my matches...cried after my first loss lol) but I stuck with it going into 7th grade with collegiate rules. I picked it up quick from there and never looked backed.

Wrestling is a 24/7 sport and 75% mental...if not more. I could go on and on about it’s the best sport out there...good for you for getting son involved!

There is a down side to wrestling I have to warn you about.

When it’s over...it’s over. I think it’s the only sport like this, maybe boxing, but still not like wrestling.

Keep your little guy involved in something g he can do his whole life as well...I would recommend golf.

I found coaching kind of eases this pain a little!

I thought about that.

Do you get on the mat with them?
Our coaches do roll around with the kids a bit, but there’s not much that they can do (these are still little kids); however, they do wrestle with each other to demonstrate moves and technique.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT