ADVERTISEMENT

Neighbor Dispute Over Shooting Guns

Neighbors can be annoying, for sure. One of my neighbors smokes pot on occasion on his back porch and if there's no wind the smell hangs in the air for a long time. Not the most pleasant habit.

Its legal here, we generally have a ton of wind, but sometimes you can smell it when walking downtown. No less unpleasant that cigarettes IMO. But at least they aint vaping, we have a TON of people out here that vape.

Its legal here, we generally have a ton of wind, but sometimes you can smell it when walking downtown. No less unpleasant that cigarettes IMO.

Not for me. For me even terrible tobacco smoke is tolerable but janky weed smell is downright offputting. Calling it "skunky" is in an insult to our cartoon rapists, that smell is nasty. Good quality weed can be more pleasant than good quality tobacco smell, but bad quality weed? Ughhhh...just terrible.

Last edited:
Not for me. For me even terrible tobacco smoke is terrible but janky weed smell is downright offputting. Calling it "skunky" is in an insult to our cartoon rapists, that smell is nasty. Good quality weed can be more pleasant than good quality tobacco smell, but bad quality weed? Ughhhh...just terrible.

If I had to rank them. Good pipe smoke > good weed smoke > cigarettes. For the terrible stuff, its all just bad.

Is this in Florida? There is a state law that protects homeowners rights to use their property as a gun range. This came up a few years ago due to a dispute down in the keys. There was a change made to law to "close the loophole" however it only applies where the population density is more than one person per acre.

If I had to rank them. Good pipe smoke > good weed smoke > cigarettes. For the terrible stuff, its all just bad.

I see my iPhone switched a tolerable to terrible so my previous post was confusing. But I basically was saying I can tolerate terrible tobacco smoke but bad weed smoke will make me flee the area (usually at concerts of some sort).

If I were to rank the various smells with a 10 as a pleasant enjoyable smell a 5 as neither here nor there and equal to plain ordinary fresh air and a 1 as making me flee the immediate area, it would be.

Good unsmoked Cigar or Pipe Tobacco = 10
Good unsmoked marijuana = 6
Unsmoked cigarette/"chaw" and dip = 4
Good pipe/cigar Tobacco smoke = 4
Good marijuana smoke = 3
Vape blown in your face regardless of flavor = 3
Cigarette smoke = 2.5
Bad marijuana smoke = 1

Is this in Florida? There is a state law that protects homeowners rights to use their property as a gun range. This came up a few years ago due to a dispute down in the keys. There was a change made to law to "close the loophole" however it only applies where the population density is more than one person per acre.
Yes I'm in Florida. Is the population density thing for the whole neighborhood or for just my house?

Neighbors can be annoying, for sure. One of my neighbors smokes pot on occasion on his back porch and if there's no wind the smell hangs in the air for a long time. Not the most pleasant habit.

We could get high as a kite every weekend from our neighbors next door. We live near the military base and there's a lot of military housing in our area. This house is constantly rented by military people. So I am not sure this time they are military or not. I do know every weekend it's the strongest most potent pot smell coming into our yard. Doesn't really bother me I always joke that are two dogs are going to get high because they'll go toward that side of the fence when they're outside investigate. My better half dislikes it. But I say better that than rowdies parties drinking all night or doing serious other drugs. Not that I know what else they do or don't do period but they are very keep to themselves quiet otherwise

It would be for the neighborhood but according to your original post, it wasn't the fact you were shooting on your property. It was the fact that doing so allegedly violated a noise ordinance.
I don't think that would matter though. A local noise ordinance can't override a state law.

"When Monroe County commissioners asked whether noise ordinances could be invoked to stop shooting at private homes, County Attorney Bob Shillinger said no"

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20140201/fla-law-allows-backyard-shooting-ranges

A new law has been created however that put some restrictions on it, but I don't know that it would change it at all if you aren't in a densely populated area.

https://www.thegunwriter.com/20150/column-backyard-range-law-explained/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT