ADVERTISEMENT

Neighbor Dispute Over Shooting Guns

EveryoneBleedsGarnet

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2010
New Smyrna Beach, FL
I just bought a house on over 10 acres that is surrounded by woods. It's zoned agricultural and 100% legal to shoot as long as done safety with a berm.

So I'm shooting with a few friends yesterday for like an hour around 7 pm and a deputy pulls into my driveway. I explain everything is legal and he agreed it was all legal and fine to shoot. The kicker is there is also a noise ordinance that is not restricted by time of day at all.

So turns out I have a senile and unreasonable neighbor almost a mile away that has a major hard on for preventing any gun fire in the neighborhood.

His reasoning is that it scares away the hawks and the hawks keep the snakes away. I can't make this stuff up.

So the deputy ends up calling me after meeting with the neighbor and telling me where he lives.

So I figured I'd be that bigger man and go to him and try to find some common ground and compromise with him.

I had no idea what kind of lions den I was walking into.

This guy is straight up sociopathic crazy and completely unwilling to negotiate. Most of the conversation surrounded around him making passive aggressive threats including a story about how he shot his neighbors cat for pooping in his garden.

A bit hypocritical right?

Anyways the conversation just left me incredibly annoyed and now I just want to shoot even more and just wait for the noise complaint officer to show up. It took almost an hour yesterday...

Thoughts on best way to handle this?

Bigger guns.

Seriously though. Finance is right IMO, when my daughter was a baby and the neighbors began shooting around 7 as she tried to sleep it irked me but I got over it and it never bother her anyway.

Never try to reason with crazy. Now that you know him, let him be.

Be reasonable. Don't let it bother you. Be responsible. Don't shoot too early or too late or too long.
I thought everything I did was pretty reasonable... He's the one being unreasonable. It's almost like he's getting off on screwing with me. Our conversation felt like the beginning of a low budget horror movie.

Bigger guns.

Seriously though. Finance is right IMO, when my daughter was a baby and the neighbors began shooting around 7 as she tried to sleep it irked me but I got over it and it never bother her anyway.

Never try to reason with crazy. Now that you know him, let him be.
I will NOT go back to his house, but he's going to keep calling the cops every time he hears me shooting, that's the problem.

What were you shooting? Maybe you can limit the heavy stuff.

A 24 hour noise ordinance seems kind of strict. I bet that neighbor will call the police every single time you fire a round. Where I live there was an analysis done of airport noise complaints and there was one guy that called the hotline 5-6 times a day for years. Hopefully he's not one of those.

What were you shooting? Maybe you can limit the heavy stuff.

A 24 hour noise ordinance seems kind of strict. I bet that neighbor will call the police every single time you fire a round. Where I live there was an analysis done of airport noise complaints and there was one guy that called the hotline 5-6 times a day for years. Hopefully he's not one of those.
I was shooting an AR15 with a muzzle brake so it is indeed a very loud gun, but this guy is going to call regardless... He made that very clear.

I was shooting an AR15 with a muzzle brake so it is indeed a very loud gun, but this guy is going to call regardless... He made that very clear.
Yeah, that's pretty loud. We have a LE range a miles from me and I can sometimes hear their heavy weapons if the wind is right.

Maybe try some .22s and work your way up to see when he complains?

Suppressors?

Excavate/build a berm on the side of your shooting area closest to him so that the noise is deflected upward?

Reactions: KevNole and goldmom
Coming from someone who is a legal fight with his POA/Management company (not the same, but you are in a dispute with your neighbor); unfortunately being nice almost never works. When our issues started a year ago the wife thought we should try the kill them with kindness/ be reasonable and accommodating strategy, we did and it went nowhere. Even had a meeting wirh the board/management company where we sent them a certified letter outlining our issues and solutions compromising on all the issues. Our solutions were agreed to by board members verbally and in writing over the last year or so; they probably should not have put stuff in writing, but that is on them and makes our legal case easier. The meeting was pretty much a waste of time; almost walked out several times and told them we will just let the lawyers handle it. The whole meeting they stated no lets not get lawyers involved and we can work this out. Gave them 30 days to answer our concerns and what did they do; went to their lawyers right away. After talking to lawyers and several property managers I know they stated unfortunately you have to be aggressive in these situations and trying to take the high road almost never works.
Long story short, while you don't have a POA, trying to reason with a person who is obviously a jerk will go nowhere. IMO do your shooting at times anyone would consider reasonable, document everything, put up signs about no trespassing/solicitation etc. and if he calls the cops again go after him for harassment. I would also based on the cat killing comment get a restraining order against him based on what you perceived as a threat to you and your family; which if you have any pets they are family as well. Furthermore I would carry a weapon anytime you are walking on your property; while I am sure you don't want a confrontation; if the dude is as whacked as you say, who knows what he is capable of; hopefully he is just a blow hard. God luck.

Why do you need to shoot guns off? If I lived next to you, even ten acres away I'd be annoyed as heck too. Some people move to more rural areas because they like this quaint thing called peace and quiet.

I'm sort of seeing it from this guy's perspective. He's as entitled to his right of quiet enjoyment as you are to the Second Amendment. Ever think about that?

Lots of old people like to complain. They are bored, and often looking to generate "excitement." Doesn't cost anything to call 911. So this isn't likely to end soon (or well). If he's truly crazy, it will really be bad.

I think suppressors are the only way you will be able to shoot without future incidents. 'Merica ain't like she used to be.

I just bought a house on over 10 acres that is surrounded by woods. It's zoned agricultural and 100% legal to shoot as long as done safety with a berm.

So I'm shooting with a few friends yesterday for like an hour around 7 pm and a deputy pulls into my driveway. I explain everything is legal and he agreed it was all legal and fine to shoot. The kicker is there is also a noise ordinance that is not restricted by time of day at all.

So turns out I have a senile and unreasonable neighbor almost a mile away that has a major hard on for preventing any gun fire in the neighborhood.

His reasoning is that it scares away the hawks and the hawks keep the snakes away. I can't make this stuff up.

So the deputy ends up calling me after meeting with the neighbor and telling me where he lives.

So I figured I'd be that bigger man and go to him and try to find some common ground and compromise with him.

I had no idea what kind of lions den I was walking into.

This guy is straight up sociopathic crazy and completely unwilling to negotiate. Most of the conversation surrounded around him making passive aggressive threats including a story about how he shot his neighbors cat for pooping in his garden.

A bit hypocritical right?

Anyways the conversation just left me incredibly annoyed and now I just want to shoot even more and just wait for the noise complaint officer to show up. It took almost an hour yesterday...

Thoughts on best way to handle this?

Can you clarify the noise ordinance thing. I read it that there isn't one for any time; or is there one at all times?

Can you go to a gun range and shoot? I'm not a gun person and don't understand the fascination with it but each to their own. All I'm picturing is Vinny from My Cousin Vinny (below).

Regardless of that people are nuts. Your neighbor probably is a whacked and there is nothing you can do about but just ignore him...

Last edited:
Do a little research on the noise ordinance. Around here, a certain decibel level has to be recorded at the complainer's property. Next time, if a deputy comes to your house, ask what the readings were. If he can't provide them, you might not be in violation.

One more thing. When you went to meet with the neighbor, what concessions were you willing to make? Did you express those clearly?

Oh my gosh, Goldmom. Your boy, Longmire, carries and uses it!!!!!!

Hey now. Don't be messing with me, my boy Longmire or his gun.
Seriously though I'm betting OP doesn't live out west on a big old ranch, either.

As to old people complaining Holmes (speaking of large guns) if you lived next door to some doofus shooting a gun like an AR15 I'm betting you wouldn't want to put up with it either.

Bottom line move WAY out in the country and buy 100 acres with no one else around. Shoot your gun. Have at it.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
You should buy a bunch of live animal traps and catch and release every type of critter possible on his property. Noah's ark that place!
19030213_10212702840188014_2899359049733477311_n.jpg

Shooting during certain times of the day and for shorter durations... Also giving him my number to call directly instead of the police... He refused all of those.

Any code violations going on at his house? Leverage man. Know the code, inspect, report.

Reactions: KevNole
What eats hawks? You should figure that out and buy some of those. And release more snakes.

Sorry but I'd be disturbed too with a new neighbor shooting it up with buddies at 7 at night on a property that is small for the purpose.

10 Acres at 7pm really, that is a lot of land and it is not even dark till 900 in most palaces and lets not forget this gem. "This guy is straight up sociopathic crazy and completely unwilling to negotiate. Most of the conversation surrounded around him making passive aggressive threats including a story about how he shot his neighbors cat for pooping in his garden"

I am just saying the shooting activity on the subject property may be imposing a nuisance condition and potential safety hazard. The mental disposition of the neighbor is another matter.

The problem goes back to sprawl development; 10 acres is neither urban or rural so unfortunate disputes like this are bound to occur.

Reactions: goldmom
I am just saying the shooting activity on the subject property may be imposing a nuisance condition and potential safety hazard. The mental disposition of the neighbor is another matter.

The problem goes back to sprawl development; 10 acres is neither urban or rural so unfortunate disputes like this are bound to occur.
The "lay of the land" can make a big difference. There is a dude over a half mile away from us who starts firing some afternoon/evenings for awhile and it carries right into our living room. He is target firing with a pistol for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. We essentially look right at his place as we are on hillsides that overlook pasture land between us. Even though he is on the other side of his structure, the slope of land funnels the reports right at us.
If OP had woodlands and berms it would likely somewhat help mitigate the noise, but an hours worth of AK fire is enough to try the patience of many folks and 10 acres is not about to contain the sound.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT