ADVERTISEMENT

New College being merged with FSU?

Noledad84

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2018
Tampa, FL
Just got an email from my representative that there’s a bill in the legislature trying to merge both? Also heard UF and Polytechnical are being merged as well? Anyone have more info on this?

Not that I think it's going to pass, but wouldn't it make more sense to fold Florida Poly back into USF since it probably shouldn't have even been spun off in the first place?
New College spun off from USF too.

If you were Florida Polytechnic, would you rather be under UF or USF?
Same with New College - would you rather be under FSU or USF?

Thats why.

Last edited:
So FU would get the science and technical school and we would get the liberal arts college? No thanks.
Put them back in USF or merge them together into one school with 2 campuses.

Reactions: goldmom
So FU would get the science and technical school and we would get the liberal arts college? No thanks.
Put them back in USF or merge them together into one school with 2 campuses.
Whole point of the proposed merger is that putting them in the infrastructure of FSU and UF would save costs.

Reactions: SemiNo.1e
Merging would both help the prestige of FSU and UF, and save the Florida taxpayers money.

NC: Reading and Writing 620-710, Math 570-670

FSU: Reading and Writing 600-670, Math 590-660
How would it help FSU. Liberal arts. May as well be basket weaving.
New College has higher scoring incoming freshmen than FSU does. So up the rankings we go (those scores are from a couple of years ago, but it’s not much different).

I read in the Herald blog that this has more to do w/ other issues than what appears to be a merger. Pols are using this as a power play/negotiating ploy for something else.

I read in the Herald blog that this has more to do w/ other issues than what appears to be a merger. Pols are using this as a power play/negotiating ploy for something else.
Yes, I am sure it is mostly political. I think the cost savings would be minimal.

A friend texted me that now the sponsor switched so UF gets New College. Also apparently very little support for this idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT