ADVERTISEMENT

New Eating Establishments for this Fall(mods please pin)

SWFNole9

Seminole Insider
Nov 4, 2005
Maybe this could be pinned, but I thought I'd start a thread about new places around town for those traveling to games to be aware of. When new ones are posted I'll consolidate into the first post so people don't have to scan the whole thread for ideas. Thanks everyone for their contributions

Maple Street Biscuit Company - Near the corner of Stadium and Call. They have other locations in Jacksonville I think. Everything on the menu is comfort food and excellent. Great place for breakfast and within walking distance of the stadium so if you want to get something good to eat for that 11:30 kickoff it'll be a great option. I've gotten to know the owner and GM a bit and the plan is to open at least one more location in town but the timetable isn't yet known. WebSite

Red Robin - This is located on Appalachee Pkwy in the old Macaroni Grille building. It's pretty popular right now since it just opened but they've got very quality burgers.

Magnolia Grove - New plaza is up between Park and Gov Sq Blvd on the West side across from Winn Dixie. A Starbucks and Smashburger will be there and there are some other things going in there as well. By the looks of it, they should be open for football season. A new hotel is also going up here and I suspect that they also plan to be open by the start of football season but I don't know that for sure. Details

Grasslands Brewing Company - Another place that is within walking distance of the stadium and is right around the corner from Proof in the revitalized CollegeTown and Railroad Square area. I haven't been there yet but I have heard good things. WebSite

4 Rivers - This is located in the WholeFoods plaza off Thomasville, a little bit more of a known commodity since it has its roots in central Florida. Really good but the parking is abysmal when its crowded. Can't find much better BBQ in town at this point though. WebSite

As far as I know, nothing related to the Centre of Tallahassee project(Tallahassee Mall renovation) is schedule to be completed until late fall.

Also on the north side of town near the interstate you have:

Grub Burger Bar - located in the TJ Maxx shopping center where Georgios used to be. Good selection of burgers and beers plus a full bar from what I understand.
Which Wich - Sandwich joint over by Shoe Station
Smashburger - right next to Which Wich.
Can't recall if they were here last fall or not but Northside Pies is a good pizza joint by Jersey Mike's on Market St. that is fairly new. I believe owned by same guys as Midtown and Gaines St pies.

If Burgers are your aim then I would strongly encourage three local spots that set the bar high.

1) Birds: 325 N. Bronough St. - it's a picnic table, live music joint with wonderful burgers. Monk's was my longtime #1 but Bird's bumped ahead over time. It's just a good eatin, belly fillin burger.

2) Midtown Caboose: at the corner of Thomasville, Meridian, and 7th in the heart of Midtown on the property where Paradise once stood. This is run by the Wells Brothers (Monk's) and is a new iteration of the burger joint. It's base burger is fantastic, but it's a nicer place with all the exotic topping so en vogue with burger places these days.

3) Monk's - 1710 West Tharpe: mix the Bird's picnic table vibe with the exotic toppings of the Caboose and you have Monk's. No frills, tight spaces, average service and great burgers.

4) Madison Social - College Town: best location on a game day, bar none. The burger is hearty and their sides are unique. There's is a high end bar feel and their emphasis is on the environment, which is great. You don't go for the burger, but you might go back for it.

5) Burger Fi: this is the best of the thin, multi-patty places (Five Guys, Smash Burger, etc). Great fries, perfectly prepared burgers and nice malts and milk shakes. I think this is a S. Florida chain.

6) Vertigo - Lafayette St. (Kinda across from Red a Robin): another flat burger place but they feature varying burger meats (shrimp, fish, beef, other mammals - I really only eat beef) and they have some of my favorite fries. They are a tallahassee place and make an excellent hamburger. They are neck-and-neck with Burger Fi really.

If you are really interested there is something called The Tallahassee Burger Trail which is a gluttonous good time.

The Southern Public House. Just opened this week. In the old Po'Boys on College. http://thesouthernpublichouse.com/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News