ADVERTISEMENT

NEW Footie Thread

Real may have to out score semis opponent 6-5 to advance. They made their bed at center back and have to live with it. If Ronaldo is fit they certainly can score in bunches though
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Check that. Ronaldo has a muscle tear of some sort out a few weeks unsure on status. Real season might be over and Portugal is sweating

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Check that. Ronaldo has a muscle tear of some sort out a few weeks unsure on status. Real season might be over and Portugal is sweating
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I saw that just now. Real are lucky that the Armenian missed so many clear chances or they'd be out. Luckiest of any side to date. Dortmund deserved to go through on the night BUT... Did you see the deal with Atletico's GK not being able to play as he is on loan from Chelsea. He could play but Atletico are unable to pay the millions fee if they are drawn tomorrow v Chelsea. Atletico President has stated they cannot pay. That would be a huge loss for them.

I'm a big fan of Ronaldo personally because he is a tremendous humanitarian who has contributed considerable sums of money to aid ailing children. That said, if for some reason his injury is truly serious and he misses the WC, what a break for the U.S.!!

This post was edited on 4/10 11:14 AM by NoleLizards

I hear ya!
a shame still Real was the best team in Spain until March and may go without a trophy now. Really hope he's fit for CL then he can take the World Cup off! Ha

Real were lucky second leg, buts lets not forget the first leg when Real crushed them and could have won like 7-2. Would have been over, or if Di Maria didn't slip on pk wouldn't have mattered. So real got some luck, but gave much away too. To me Chelsea are the lucky ones left

If Chelsea are drawn with Real the first leg (and possibly both) could be without Ronaldo and Hazard (who's expected to miss about 2 weeks with his calf injury). Ivanovic is also out for the 1st leg (accumulation of yellows).

Bayern at Real.
Chelsea at Atletico.

Home field advantage second leg to Bayern and Chelsea. That's meant 11-1 record this season only Real advanced as away second team.

Bad draw for Madrid with their German road history and second leg away, and third straight German match up. Still u gotta beat the best to win the trophy.

Spanish sides need big wins first leg

Looks like The Arsenal's season, and Wenger's future there, both come down to today's FA Cup tie with Wigan at Wembley. I honestly believe winning the Cup would be a magic elixer going forward for this team. The Gunners, alone among their brethren, have got their finances in good shape. Some of these other sides have gone for the spend now, win now approach which will come back to haunt them down the road.

I remain ever hopeful. COYG!

Roberto Martinez with his best Moyes attempt today to get swept by amateur Sunderland. But what's this, lucky own goal? Totally undeserved Everton played not to lose rather than win and looked like they were hoping for a point. Really shocking tactics and lineup with Mirallas and Barkley on the bench and Osman as attacking forward? Wow.
An accidental 3 points is still 3 so into 4th up 2 points on Arsenal they go.

This week Everton host Crystal Palace and United, huge games!

On Arsenal Cup, Wenger needs CL IMHO and the cup win to keep his job. Their finances are ok but they'll lose tens of millions on CL so they'd be big sellers and rebuild a bit.

I think that Wenger is OK, and so is Moyes for at least now. Maybe not playing in Europe next year will benefit United, look at how well Liverpool did this year without having those extra 10-12 + travel. A loss at Everton could be the final straw for the United board, not to mention the millions they will lose next year by not playing in the UCL.

Everton has won 7 in a row for the first time in their EPL history.

With Everton's success and United's failures, IMO, Moyes is the common factor.

I thought Moyes did well at Everton with his Oakland A's payroll, but he should have done better this year. It's not easy to follow, perhaps, the greatest manager in British club history, and it can't be easy for the players, but Moyes did not have their attention this year.

As for van Persie, his colors came out. When things aren't going well, he starts pouting and is oft injured. When RvP and Rooney are in the lineup together, their record is incredible. I can't believe how what seems to be minor knocks keeps players off of the field now a days, in all major sports. I am willing to bet that if RvP or Rooney were 18, and playing for Cardiff, they would have played through some of these bumps.

warriortim, congrats on the Bayern win, it was well deserved and as I would like to see CR7 win the UCL, but if they can't, I will be rooting for Bayern. They went something like 57 league matches without a loss, and that is one incredible streak and would have continued had they not won the league so early and had that 2nd leg against United coming up. It's hard to believe that Robben is only 30, he looks 35 and seems to have been playing forever.

I probably jumped on the Diego Maradona bandwagon back in the mid 80's when I was 14-15 and we had very little footie coverage here in the states, except when the World Cup was being played, but I always liked the other Diego, Simeone and he's done a great job at Atletico. To have AM ahead of the payrolls of Barca and Real at this point is incredible, especially with AM's financial crisis. The other Madrid should do everything to pay Chelsea so that Courtois can play. If AM can get past Chelsea and into the finals, the UCL payoff could be a wash and prevent AM from pulling a Miami Marlin's firesale.

It was nice to see David Villa's team knockout Barca.

It's too bad CR7 will miss the Barca match this week, especially after the results from the last El Classico.

Rooting for City or Liverpool is like wishing to step in front a speeding fire truck or a speeding bus. I hope that Chelsea can sneak in there and win it, but that's like wishing to step in front of small speeding bus. Wait to the Special One signs a legitimate striker this summer. It's time for United to step up and spend some serious cash with all the Nike and Chevy money they will start getting this summer. Center midfield and defense need major additions, and I see them making a huge over payment for Baines.

Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned the sanctions levied against Barca, they could be left shorthanded in some key areas like defense and GK.

Barcelona vs Atletico on Judgement Day has basically knocked Real out of the La Liga title race, IMO, and I don't have a good feeling for AM traveling to the Camp Nou, it's like playing 11 v 14. (Barca is currently down 1-0 to Granada, so maybe Real has some hope if they can survive the CR7 injury).

Two of the reasons that I might watch the Serie A, is AC and Inter, and they are after thoughts. I thought Napoli might have done better with their additions, but they will qualify for the UCL. Who's that twat from Argentina? Tevez has won major hardware at United and City, will win another one for Juvi with the Serie A and has Juvi in the Europa semis and will have Juvi back in the UCL next year. Carlito is one of the most unorthodox players out there, but he just seems to win everywhere he goes, maybe his native Argentina should have used him more in the past.

With Leicester promoted, Burnley 99% likely to be promoted, who's rooting for who for that 3rd spot? Nottingham Forest was at the top of my list, but the former back to back UCL champions have faltered, I would like to see the possible back to back FA Cup winners, Wigan, jump back up to the EPL. What story it would be for Wigan to win 2 FA Cups in a row while basically being a 2nd division team.

I don't get Fox Soccer 2, but Arse and Wigan are knotted at 1-1 headed to the 2nd OT.

I have the FA Cup on Sirius/XM, Ox-Chamberlain just hit the woodwork.

It sucks that the FA Cup semis aren't on a channel that is ready available, Comcast doesn't carry FS+, and I wouldn't need it anyway with NBC picking up the EPL.

A gutty, gutty win for The Arsenal. When it looked like everything was going against them, they pull it out. Fabianski was brilliant in goal against the PKs.

One more for silverware. COYG!

Huge victory over mighty Wigan.....

Liverpool well done I think everyone outside of Chelsea and Manchester want then to win the league.

I'm rooting for Nottingham forest time for new blood!

Diego Costa injury was awful but he's luckily ok it seems. Atletico still in first they refuse to lose, 3 up on Real and the tiebreaker, few more wins and the final game Atletico at Barcelona in May will be meaningless.

Munich gets destroyed by Dortmund.

Tim, what is going on with Munich? This wasn't their B team.

As a Liverpool fan, there are some real similarities between this season for LFC and FSU's 2013 campaign. It's not a perfect analogy by any means, but the emotions are kind of similar. It just feels so damn good to be back in the conversation amongst the best of the best where we belong, and I think all FSU fans can immediately relate to that. And then there is this slight disbelief about the whole thing, like "I cannot believe how good they are". Just like with the early season FSU games, at times this season as a Liverpool supporter I've had to almost rub my eyes in disbelief at the beautiful quality of attacking football they are playing under Rogers. I've seen other great teams play like this in recent years, but now suddenly its my team and I keep having to tell myself "No, they really are this good. Your eyes aren't messing with you and it's not fan goggles either." I had the same inner chat with myself repeatedly during the FSU season when I almost could not fathom that we finally had this killing machine in Garnet and Gold again. .

And now, as we approach the home stretch, there is such a feeling of destiny about the whole thing. And I am sure every FSU fan can relate to that growing sense of belief. Even when things looked bleak vs. City for a few minutes there, I believed they would find a way through. And they did. Of course, I was much more confident about our chances of beating Auburn than I am about Liverpool's chances vs. Chelsea, but if there is anything to be said for the team and fanbase that wants it more having an edge in big games, Liverpool will find a way again.
I know there are many Liverpool haters amongst the soccer fans around here, but objectively, people have to admit that this would be one of the truly amazing title runs in the history of English top league football. For Liverpool to compete with the mega payroll teams feels like FSU going against the SEC machine. And to make this title challenge with so many youngsters and unheralded players, and to manage to be the most stylistically enjoyable team in the league in the process is just amazing. Add to that the storyline of Steven Gerrard, local lad, one-club man, England Captain, winner of everything except the League, and it just takes on a movie-like quality to it.

Liverpool is an amazing story and I've rooted against them for years. But as mentioned the monopoly money clubs of City, Chelsea and United are so fun to root against now. They should easily finish 1-3 every year and this year Liverpool crashed the party. Really hope they beat Chelsea and win out.
And despite needing major depth help Liverpool has a great young attacking core for years to come. If they invest well this summer Liverpool is a nightmare for the epl big spenders.

Arsenal with a 3-1 win over the Hammers today, and showing some serious resiliency in doing so. Falling behind right before halftime at the Emirates was NOT the way to placate the faithful, so equalizing as quickly as they did and then taking care of business in the second half was what the doctor ordered.

Puts a little pressure back on Everton now.

COYG!

DC, being a United fan, I do not like Liverpool, but I've given them their props this year.

I know you hate the Boston Red Sox and the Sox own Liverpool, you could also compare Liverpool to the 2013 Sox. predictions weren't all that great for Liverpool or the Sox, but both teams kept finding ways to win, while everyone was sitting back waiting for the collapse.

I have always loathed the Peasants, and always will. But having said that, if their winning the Prem means Chelsea goes without silverware, then I'm the biggest Red fan in Atlanta the rest of the way. Seeing Moanrinho win nothing would be precious. He's the Spurrier of English footie.

Everton with an epic choke job. 3 goals to Pslace I don't even have the energy. Congrats Arsenal it's over.

Man City one ups them though. Wow! Liverpool Chelsea for the league perhaps in two weeks. Richest payroll in the world wins no trophies!

Citeh salvages a point with a late goal at Ethiad vs. Sunderland. ...But even with that point, now Chelsea controls its own destiny for winning the hardware. MC has to hope to win out while the Blues draw Pool at Anfield on the 27th to have a chance to win now.

Holy crap....Bale's a sprinter! What a goal. Real up 2-1 over Barca in CDR final late.

Crazy and right after they took away bale winner to go up 2-0 barca tied it. Bale had a massively selfish breakaway to end it, and he's had a horrid season, but maybe he gets confidence now.

Messi another troubling effort for Argentina.

I am apoplectic that Everton blew their game in hand to...seriously...Palace? At home? Doors keep opening for the Gunners to stumble through. Hopefully we walk through one of them.

Copa de Rey final was an incredible game. Bale's goal will be the stuff of legends.

Everton with an epic choke job. 3 goals to Pslace I don't even have the energy. Congrats Arsenal it's over.

Man City one ups them though. Wow! Liverpool Chelsea for the league perhaps in two weeks. Richest payroll in the world wins no trophies!

Huge result for both Chelsea and Liverpool. Chelsea now controls its fate, and Liverpool now only needs to draw Chelsea at Anfield to be in firm control. I will say that the Palace away game right after Chelea is looking a little scarier now. They're playing quite well.

DC, a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at the remainder of the schedules for Liverpool, City and Chelsea, and I circled this weekend's game as a trap game for Liverpool. Norwich is fighting for their lives to stay in the top flight and even though Suarez has outscored Norwich, despite playing in eight fewer games. Look for Norwich to park the buses inside the 18.

To be fair, City did win the Capitol One Cup.

I stand corrected. IMHO the capital cup should be dissolved most don't take it seriously. 2 cups is silly

Huge victory over mighty Wigan.....

Liverpool well done I think everyone outside of Chelsea and Manchester want then to win the league.

I'm rooting for Nottingham forest time for new blood!

Diego Costa injury was awful but he's luckily ok it seems. Atletico still in first they refuse to lose, 3 up on Real and the tiebreaker, few more wins and the final game Atletico at Barcelona in May will be meaningless.

Munich gets destroyed by Dortmund.

Tim, what is going on with Munich? This wasn't their B team.
Not their B team but we played tactically different with them. Neuer came out at HT with a slight calf strain. He did not play at all yesterday in the 5:1 win over FCK in the Pokal. Against bvb we played with 3 at the back and Lahm central again? Not sure why Pep continues to tinker with things other than the Liga title is clinched and he is using the Buli matches remaining to try out tactics? Looking forward to next week in Madrid.

Gotcha.

Ronaldo doubtful for Wed Champions League. Really would be a shame if he couldn't play, Real was so good all year in Europe until he went out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT