ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Roster Cuts ('Noles thread)

mlanton

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Well -- there's always a chance to be picked up by another team so I guess we'll keep this thread going until the dust settles.

Cuts as of 8/29/16:

L. Brutus
G. Newberry

Did not finish as a 'Nole, but since he once was one, I'll add him here. Coker cut today too.

I saw Bjoern Werner was released by the Jaguars today. I guess he is another in a long line of dominant college players who never could find their footing in the NFL.

I was hoping for better for him, but he did earn pretty good money for 3-4 years and I believe he will get a pension for the rest of his life, so not all is bad.

Go Noles!

It seemed he was always sort of a tweener for the NFL game. Not quite a DE and not quite a LB. He did pretty well for himself staying in as long as he did.

He's no tweener. He's a 4-3 DE through and through but many teams made that trendy transition to the 3-4 and haven't looked back. Not sure how many teams are running a 4-3 but it's a lot more competitive for a three-point stance, pass rush defensive end nowadays.

I saw Bjoern Werner was released by the Jaguars today. I guess he is another in a long line of dominant college players who never could find their footing in the NFL.

I was hoping for better for him, but he did earn pretty good money for 3-4 years and I believe he will get a pension for the rest of his life, so not all is bad.

Go Noles!
Think you have to be in the NFL for 6 years to earn a pension. I could be wrong - but thought that was the requirement.

Go Noles!

Tuff transition for DE to pro especially with the are you a stand up or hand on the ground guy. He may have had a chance in the right D but it will be hard to get one now. I wish the fish would give him a shot?

Think you have to be in the NFL for 6 years to earn a pension. I could be wrong - but thought that was the requirement.

not sure how accurate this site is but it says three years. not a huge amount of money, but every little bit helps.

How 6 American Sports Pay Their Players

National Football League

Retirement plan: Pension, 401(k), Annuity
Minimum salary in 2015: $435,000

The NFL’s pension plan is based on credited seasons. Players are fully vested and eligible for benefits once they have three credited seasons in the league, and can begin collecting at 55 years old. A player’s monthly benefit is based on the number of credited seasons they achieve, and the time period of said seasons. Players will receive $660 per credited season every month for the 2015-2017 seasons, and $760 per credited season every month for the 2018-2020 seasons.

The NFL’s 401(k) program, which is otherwise known as the Second Career Savings Plan, offers players a 2:1 match up to $26,000 once players have two credited seasons in the NFL.

The last retirement benefit available to NFL players is an annuity plan. Once players have four credited seasons, the league will contribute $80,000 per credited season from 2014-2017, and $95,000 per credited season from 2018-2020. Players can begin collecting this benefit once they reach 35-years-old.

Full details of the NFL’s retirement plan can be found in the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

not sure how accurate this site is but it says three years. not a huge amount of money, but every little bit helps.

How 6 American Sports Pay Their Players

National Football League

Retirement plan: Pension, 401(k), Annuity
Minimum salary in 2015: $435,000

The NFL’s pension plan is based on credited seasons. Players are fully vested and eligible for benefits once they have three credited seasons in the league, and can begin collecting at 55 years old. A player’s monthly benefit is based on the number of credited seasons they achieve, and the time period of said seasons. Players will receive $660 per credited season every month for the 2015-2017 seasons, and $760 per credited season every month for the 2018-2020 seasons.

The NFL’s 401(k) program, which is otherwise known as the Second Career Savings Plan, offers players a 2:1 match up to $26,000 once players have two credited seasons in the NFL.

The last retirement benefit available to NFL players is an annuity plan. Once players have four credited seasons, the league will contribute $80,000 per credited season from 2014-2017, and $95,000 per credited season from 2018-2020. Players can begin collecting this benefit once they reach 35-years-old.

Full details of the NFL’s retirement plan can be found in the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Thanks. I wonder if they changed this when all of the concussion syndrome started coming out. I went to HS with a former FSU player who was in the league a while back and if I recall correctly, he said he had to be in the NFL for 6 year in order to get his pension. I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

No shockers but still hard to believe Werner's situation only four years removed from FSU.

No shockers but still hard to believe Werner's situation only four years removed from FSU.

Loved him as a Nole, but honestly never saw him as being totally dominant. At least not to the point that I thought he would stick in the NFL all that long. Just me.

Enjoy virtually all of your posts, so not arguing with you. Just not that surprised by this. Wish him well.

These posts regarding NFL players are to be made on the PGSF. Each time NFL news is posted here it is either moved to that forum or it is deleted because the same thread has already been sent there.

Please utilize that board. There is plenty of stuff to talk about w/ the current team and how bad FU sucks.

These posts regarding NFL players are to be made on the PGSF. Each time NFL news is posted here it is either moved to that forum or it is deleted because the same thread has already been sent there.

Please utilize that board. There is plenty of stuff to talk about w/ the current team and how bad FU sucks.

OK ... I don't post NFL news. I post about FSU stuff. Posting about our former players is posting about FSU related stuff, isn't it?

I don't follow the NFL. I follow college football and like to keep up with our players.

To bad he's be playing lb while in the NFL. He might have had a better shot if they kept him at De.

Go Noles!

He'll need 4 years and has to be a minimum age to start collecting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT