ADVERTISEMENT

NHL Stanley Cup playoffs thread

nolealum99

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2002
There are some interesting matchups in the first round. Obviously key on my mind is the Bolts/Habs. While I do think this series could go either way, I think Montreal is a little cocky and thinking this should be their series. I like that the Bolts are at home and I like that we have beat them 3 of 4 this year so far.

I will be rooting for Philly for the first time in my life. I really liked the Rangers until the got Mr Douchebag himself, Marty St. Louis in the trade (although I love Callahan). I will be rooting for Vinny and the Flyers to take down the Rangers.

Originally posted by nolealum99:
There are some interesting matchups in the first round. Obviously key on my mind is the Bolts/Habs. While I do think this series could go either way, I think Montreal is a little cocky and thinking this should be their series. I like that the Bolts are at home and I like that we have beat them 3 of 4 this year so far.

I will be rooting for Philly for the first time in my life. I really liked the Rangers until the got Mr Douchebag himself, Marty St. Louis in the trade (although I love Callahan). I will be rooting for Vinny and the Flyers to take down the Rangers.

Think the new playoff format is crap. Why do you think Marty is a douche?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

The other thread on this board will explain, but the basic gist is how he wanted out because he wasn't picked for the Olympic team.

I still am up in the air on the new format. I like it because you can predict who you are going to play next round and it sets up more like a bracket. The main thing I don't like is that the Bolts will likely get Boston if they make it through the first round even though they are the 3rd seed in the conference.

I'm not sure I love the new slots and bracket but I'm sure the annual Cinderella runs will continue which make the NHL great this time of year.

As a Pens fan I'm not expecting too much. It's really remarkable they're a 2 seed with the most injuries in the nhl. They're getting healthy but Fleury is Fleury. I figure it's win win with him though.
Either Fleury gets hot and plays solid and Pens go deep, or he's the reason they lose again and they finally move on to a real franchise goalie.
Crosby will show up, that's about all I know.

I am not excited at all to see Detroit stroll into Boston. Detroit won the season series 3-1, including, perhaps Boston's worst loss, a 6-1 Detroit win earlier in the season.

I wonder if this is the year that Ovechkin can step it up and help the Caps do something in the playoffs this year.

Originally posted by Manch.:
I am not excited at all to see Detroit stroll into Boston. Detroit won the season series 3-1, including, perhaps Boston's worst loss, a 6-1 Detroit win earlier in the season.

I wonder if this is the year that Ovechkin can step it up and help the Caps do something in the playoffs this year.

It will be hard seeing as they didn't make it.

But captain selfish did get his goals in Washington so he's probably happy.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
But captain selfish did get his goals in Washington so he's probably happy.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
He is a steaming dumpster fire and you could not pay me to have that idiot on my team. I cannot believe the league still uses him as one of their poster boys. I give that about another year before they wise up to the fact that they shouldn't be pushing his kind of agenda. He finished a whopping -35 this year. That was surprisingly not worse as he finished 884th out of 886. Only Ott and Edler were worse. Ove-chicken also had ZERO even strength points in the moth of March. A guy who scores 51 goals has no even strength points in a month?!?!?!?!? What a waste of talent.

Huge goal by the bolts to regain momentum and get the crowd into it. Now it's a game 3 to 3 in the third.

I love the CBC broadcast far superior to nbc and between the glass...

Crazy game down in Tampa tonight, looked more like an All Star game than a playoff game. Bolts are going to have to do better defensively if they are going to have a chance. Good lord, I just realized the Habs are the only Canadian team in the playoffs, well at least they won the Gold Medal. Obviously I'm not crazy about playing Detroit either, a lot of it has to do with watching them dominate so many years, it's a psychological thing. That and the fact they won the series against this year, lol.

huge edge for Boston in the net with Rask over Detroit's Howard. Unless Howard stands on his head, I don't see Detroit catching lightening in a bottle. They've had trouble scoring all year. I know they have a ton of experience but Boston's done a helluva lot more the last 3 years or so in the playoffs. Detroit also has every major player either injured or just coming back from injury (of the serious variety) it seems like.

Well, crap. Last night was fun, right up until the bolts entire roster got caught behind the net while the puck squirted out front for an uncontested game-winner.

Bolts got outplayed big-time last night, they were lucky to not get blown out. Gotta play better defensively & not give the damn puck away so much.

Easily the worst game I have seen played by the Bolts the entire season. That was the most hideous display of puck possession I have ever seen. Bolts completely out-possessed the Habs during the regular season and Habs coaches obviously had the game plan to not let that happen last night. It worked. I actually almost got into a fight last night leaving the rink and I had only had one beer (If I wasn't 6'4" 285, the guy and I would have thrown down). I heard a guy say that Lindback was horrible last night and I went off on him. Lindback was the only thing that kept 9 goals from being scored last night by the Habs. He got hung out to dry at least twice and he made the initial save on the shorty, unfortunately the rebound went right to Gionta. The guys looked like they were skating in quick sand last night. On every puck that went to the corner, the Bolts just stood there and looked at them while The Habs dug them out and kept control.

That said, I honestly don't believe the Bolts can play much worse as far as the all around game goes. The problem is that I do not know that Price will let in 4 goals again. I also don't know the status of Palat, who was so big this year for us. He was healthy all through the year and got hit hard last week and left game early last night. Of course that could free up a spot for a guy like Pyatt that has played for the Habs a few years ago.

Bolts did not play well but their D is a C+/B- unit no matter what. I don't see them advancing too far, not based on one game but because of the D.

Lindback is an odd sort. Normally the guys who are unorthodox are really athletic - he's not. He does fill net and has a very unusual style but the puck seems to find him somehow. I'm not sold on him in a playoff scenario as I think good teams will really work his weaknesses over a 7-game series. That said, he did play well last night and this could have been a 6-2 type of game. The D is just not good and that will eventually get them in a series, if not this one.

Decent crowd but lots of Habs fans as one would expect. Some of ya'll Lightning fans should try to get a game at the Bell...one of the best crowds in all of sports!

Montreal had 44 shots! That's not gonna win many games even if Lindback IMHO isn't a great goalie. He's built like a shooting guard, needs to put on a lot of good weight.

Pitt you can tell is gonna take a while to readjust their lines with guys coming back. Fleury was his bad self early but settled in. Rare for Pitt to win a playoff game when Crosby doesn't dominate. Was really shocked at how the Jackets were the intimidators, super chippy after the whistle, getting in Pens heads. Pens acted entitled and didn't look ready for that game. Were lucky to win that game thanks to great power play as usual, i expect a much better Pens in game 2.

I would agree on the D. We have one pretty damn good D man in Hedman. He has really come into his own, especially this year. Brewer and Salo, who are solid, but older, looked good most of the season, but were absolutely atrocious last night. They looked extremely slow and they were getting beat to every puck. They were also not doing what they have done well all year in holding the blue line. In all other games against Habs this year, they have help up that line well and controlled the action. Last night they fell back and gave up the blue line WAY too easily. The rest of the D-men all year have been a patchwork of guys who just are not ready yet. I am really surprised that Kostka was in the line-up as I think Barberio has been the best of the young D-men all year in his time with the Bolts. Kostka just looks lost, even bringing the puck out of his own zone. I would not mind seeing Carle and Kostka being scratched and inserting Barberio and Aulie. I have really like Barberio when he has been on the ice this year.

As far as Lindback, his style while unusual works pretty well. I went back and looked and I would credit 3 goals to poor D vs. something Lindback did wrong. The Eller, Vanek, and Weise goals were all horrendous D with someone eithe slipping past a D-man or in the case of Weise being all alone in front of the net. Weise didn't have anyone within 6 feet of him!!!

The good news is that the Bolts had chances to steal that game and couldn't convert, even playing as bad as they did. That was definitely a game that should not have even been close. I really do feel confident that they cannot play any worse.

I didn't get to watch any of the others, but I listened to Ducks/Stars on way home. The Stars really fought and made that game somewhat interesting after being down 4-0.

I would not call Hedman a "pretty damn good D man" in any respect. Maybe skating. His time in the KHL has helped him during the lockout but he remains behind almost every play mentally. He flat cost them the second goal on a horrible decision. He's just always behind the play-making decisions and gets exposed pretty often. I know he leads the team in ice time but look at who his competition is.

He's 6-6 and can skate in his 5th year in the league - that should spell routine NHL all-star yet he hasn't made one. He didn't make the top 8 of Sweden's Olympic roster, again a 6'6" guy in his prime is not "damn good" if he can't beat out Edler or Ekman-Larsson. That's a career that so far is lesser than Hal Gill's. Obviously I'm not alone in my opinion.

I just don't know if his ceiling is much higher. He's surely not a legit #1 D despite the height and relative mobility. At some point in his career he should have been moved to forward. I know you'll piss and moan about that but again the decisions by people who get paid to make them back up what I've said for 2+ years - he doesn't see the game.

Originally posted by NoleMoreTears:
I would not call Hedman a "pretty damn good D man" in any respect. Maybe skating. His time in the KHL has helped him during the lockout but he remains behind almost every play mentally. He flat cost them the second goal on a horrible decision. He's just always behind the play-making decisions and gets exposed pretty often. I know he leads the team in ice time but look at who his competition is.

He's 6-6 and can skate in his 5th year in the league - that should spell routine NHL all-star yet he hasn't made one. He didn't make the top 8 of Sweden's Olympic roster, again a 6'6" guy in his prime is not "damn good" if he can't beat out Edler or Ekman-Larsson. That's a career that so far is lesser than Hal Gill's. Obviously I'm not alone in my opinion.

I just don't know if his ceiling is much higher. He's surely not a legit #1 D despite the height and relative mobility. At some point in his career he should have been moved to forward. I know you'll piss and moan about that but again the decisions by people who get paid to make them back up what I've said for 2+ years - he doesn't see the game.
Your right, I do disagree. Please realize when I say "pretty damn good", I am not talking Suter, Chara, Keith, or any number of those names. I completely understand he is nowhere near that league. But your routine all star comment is absurd. With names like those caliber guys that I mentioned, how would a D-man from Tampa ever make an all-star team, unless it was one of those big names if we signed them? It ain't gonna happen.

Hedman had a good year. I'll take a guy who is 5th in points among NHL D-men.

As for last night, and that play. Did his pinch contribute directly to that SHG? Yes. But if you watch that play again you will notice that guys on the other side of the ice are just standing there, when Hedman decides to move. One of my big problems with the Bolts powerplay this year is lack of movement. If Stamkos and Filppula would have moved their feet and moved to the point when Hedman left, that shorty likely would not have happened either.

He's no all star, but he is better than many in the league.

Right - he should have been moved to forward at some point. If he was 6'2" he probably wouldn't be in the league. Again, he's about like Hal Gill who was a #3 to #5 D most of his years. That makes him among the top few hundred players in the world but hardly a true #1.

A good D-man in Pittsburgh has no trouble making the all-star team despite incredible star power at forward. If you pay attention to the selections it rotates and varies quite a lot. He has ample opportunity to make the roster. Again, the Swedish hockey association passed him over - does that sound like a #1 D?

The goals allowed are indeed team goals but that was on Hedman as were a lot of other chances. I watch plenty close and have been saying this for about 3 years, it's not on a whim and obviously plenty of others agree.

NMT, you're way too hard on Hedman. He's still very young - turned 23 in the middle of this season. Charra made his first all-star appearance in his 5th season (Hedman's in his 5th now); Chara was two years older at that time, he didn't break into the NHL at as young an age as did Hedman.

It's unusual for defenders to start making all-star games at a young age. Hedman will make it soon - probably next year - then be a regular in them for the next 10+ years.

A couple great games last night and a couple sleepers. For the first time in my life I was actually rooting for the Flyers over the Rangers, but teh Rangers kept up their dominance of MSG. I watched quite a bit of the Avs/Wild game. What a game!! The play was unbelievably fast, even by playoff hockey standards. Unfortunately went to bed before the Avs tied it up and took it in OT. I just don't see how the pace that some of these teams are playing can stay up for that long. I think some of these series are gonna see some great games and then a sleeper in the middle, cause these guys just can't keep going that hard.

Originally posted by pdubb09:

I know, Ovechkin has been an easy target in this forum.

St. Louis/Chicago has to be one of the best first round match ups in years.

Originally posted by SeaPA:

NMT, you're way too hard on Hedman. He's still very young - turned 23 in the middle of this season. Charra made his first all-star appearance in his 5th season (Hedman's in his 5th now); Chara was two years older at that time, he didn't break into the NHL at as young an age as did Hedman.

It's unusual for defenders to start making all-star games at a young age. Hedman will make it soon - probably next year - then be a regular in them for the next 10+ years.
I understand where you're coming from but there are guys who develop and others who don't. His skating and skill work have gotten better - I mentioned that last year in the lockout when he went to play for KHL. How he sees the ice has not improved and I'm obviously not the only one with that sentiment. You'd think leading your team in ice time for 2+ years under a good organization would do that, wouldn't you? I wonder if his ceiling isn't high for his position which is what I've said for years.

I mean if Sweden felt like you did then they'd have him on the team to develop. This is the most or second-most forward-thinking hockey nation. They plan for the future as well as anyone. Instead they went with Ekman-Larsson who's younger, smaller, and has less reach on a larger ice sheet. Or Edler who is smaller, older, and had a -39 rating this year.

My original comment is he's not a "damn good D man" nor a true #1 D. I stand by that and will say so if I'm proven wrong.

Back to the show, Colorado is so fun to watch! McKinnon and Landeskog is a cool duo.

Bruins vs Red Wings

I couldn't help myself I have to start a new thread on the Bruins. Today has been like Christmas Eve for me personally. That being said I'm getting more and more nervous about this series. I know Detroit has had a fair share of injuries. They skate very well. I Am hoping the bruins keeps the legs moving and finish checks and I think they will win. Also I believe the B's have the advantage in net which is always the ace when it comes to the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Originally posted by pdubb09:

I know, Ovechkin has been an easy target in this forum.

St. Louis/Chicago has to be one of the best first round match ups in years.
It's proably the best first round matchup, ever. Beginning of the season these were the two favorites in the West, and as the playoffs started, you probably would have put CHI at the top of the list to come out of the West. Winner of that series goes to the WC Finals IMO.

Re: Bruins vs Red Wings

Originally posted by timbo37059:
I couldn't help myself I have to start a new thread on the Bruins. Today has been like Christmas Eve for me personally. That being said I'm getting more and more nervous about this series. I know Detroit has had a fair share of injuries. They skate very well. I Am hoping the bruins keeps the legs moving and finish checks and I think they will win. Also I believe the B's have the advantage in net which is always the ace when it comes to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Howard sucks especially in the playoffs. Hopefully we can exploit that.

Re: Bruins vs Red Wings

B's are deeper on all sides. But man Mike Babcock can coach. Not that Julien can't but Detroit won't be handing anything over. Should be fun! B's should win in 5 or 6.

Damn five day layoff, I knew it would come back to haunt us! And yes, props to Howard, he pretty much stood on his head. We've got ourselves a series gentlemen. One would think it's time to stick a fork in Tampa Bay but remember Montreal went two up on us at home one year and we came back to take the series. Bolts fans, don't throw In the towel yet.

I am not throwing in the towel, I think we can bring this series back home for a game 5, but these guys are playing nervous and young and just not getting it done. First period last night was the best they had played so far, and then in the last two reverted back to game one. Habs also put the clamps on stamkos last night. Had a guy in his jock all night. Someone has to step up.

Not real surprised about the Bruins score last night. I think they take this series in 6 though. A little rust last night, but they are still better team.

Detroit is doing all they can to hand this game to the Bruins. The B's pp looked really good they are doing whatever they want after a poor first pp. it's good to see Smith get a goal he was ice cold for a while, we need him.

TB is by no means dead but they aren't playing together. Even if they do come back they're not gonna last long with the D and weaknesses in Lindback's positioning. On an upnote, Purcell continues to develop as a player. I'd be very pleased with his trajectory.

I know tons of people hate him but PK Subban is fun to watch.

However, he doesn't come close to the entertainment value of Colorado.

Wow!!! Talk about a little home cooking by the officials. Last night was one of the most horrendously officiated games I have ever seen all at one time. Yes, I am a Lightning fan, but as I was listening on my way home from Easter dinner, even the Habs announcer said twice that the Bolts had gotten a raw deal. The disallowed goal, the Stamkos hit and subsequent knee to the back of the head (the knee was not on purpose, but the hit that put him on the ice can't happen), the Stamkos phantom offside on a breakaway, the hit on Gionta by Barberio which got a 4 minute minor that was a hit to the shoulder with no high stick. Oh lets not forget at the end with Lindback pulled and Wiese throws his stick at the puck which should result in a penalty or penalty shot. Devorski and Charron should be banned from doing games at least in the playoffs again. This was an absolute train wreck of a game for the officials.

The Lightning can't buy a break at this point, but they did look more competitive in that game and that will help their confidence. Just win one on the road and get the mo heading back to Tampa. Although a 0-3 hole seems like a impossibility, it's not out of the realm of possibility, just ask the Bruins. They were up 3-0 on the Flyers one year and proceeded to blow it. In the meantime fines, suspensions and injuries are highlighting this first round. Interesting that the Hawks, Stars and Wild all threw down shutouts at home to avoid the 0-3 hole. Great comeback by the Pens last night.

Well, looks like tonight is the night that I stop watching hockey for 2014.

I am a Bolts fan through and through but I will not quit watching after they lose. I will definitely watch with less fervor and intensity, but this playoffs has been too good not to watch. There have been some great games and great play in some games. I would like to think the Bolts are going to have a shot tonight, but I don't know which team will show up.

Not that it should surprise me when you have an referee from Quebec doing the game, but yet another game in this series decided by officials on a call that was horrendous and just doesn't get called in the playoffs. You can say, well the Bolts shouldn't have put themselves in that position to lose by one call, and you are right. But weird things happen in OT and what would have been the outcome if those games go to OT. Especially last night. Bolts had the momentum at end of the game and were finally looking like a hockey club. Oh well, what can you expect when the sole Canadian hope is riding on one team. I hope Boston knocks the Habs into next month. This is the first time I have ever rooted for Philly, and this will also be the first time I have rooted for Boston. I guess my team for the rest of the playoffs will be the Avs. I love watching them play. So fast and so skilled. They are young, but I think they will make some noise continuing into these playoffs.

Alum, I know what you're talking about on the officiating, hell, look at all the times Boston has taken on Montreal in the playoffs. Also your point about them being the only Canadian team making the playoffs...well...that likely has some merit as well. But it came down to Tampa Bay's defense and goaltending, that is what ultimately did them in.
The Bruins have slowly come back to life after that lethargic first game. I honestly think a huge momentum shift was in the opening minutes of the second game, the Bruins were once again stymied on offense, then Howard came out the net and shot the puck off his own man. It bounces right onto the stick of rookie LW Florek, who calmly deposited into the net. After that the Bruins seemed to come to life. Also, once again the young defensemen are playing great, Krug, Hamilton and Miller in particular, the even younger kids Potter and Meszaros have held their own.

Tampa did get hosed in game 3 - especially the goalie interference. Really bad. But the call at the end of game 4 was fine and consistent with the rest of the game. They swallowed the whistle unless the play directly affected puck access/possession. The crook of the stick was around the ankle and clearly pulled the player off his skates. You could have taken them both off a few seconds before but again the refs were consistent in calling stuff that only was directly in the line of puck possession. And that one most certainly was a trip. Gets called 99/100 times.

I'm trying to figure out if Boston or Chicago has the better PK unit - those teams are so stifling. Really impressed with Loui Ericsson and Carl Soderberg for Boston. And man does Torey Krug see the the ice well! There are a few times he makes plays I don't see coming or think he could pull off...tremendous sense of timing and a real instinct for the flow.

San Jose is on a rampage but will they ever break through and do something?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT