ADVERTISEMENT

NHL Stanley Cup playoffs thread

Hatsbo,
No doubt, I know that the penalty calls were not the only thing that made these games. Tampa did not play near as good as they have all season. As we have seen in other games though, in OT anything can happen. Both these games should have gone to OT though and who knows if the Bolts get one to go like Columbus did last night.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Alum, I think you mentioned earlier that the Bolts were suffering stage fright and I agree. Just a bit too young and inexperienced. Montreals' confidence out of the gate was strong and TB could never slow down their momentum.
There are some competitive series going with three tied at two a piece. Boston sneaks out of Detroit with two wins, we got some fortunate bounces last night, although the boys withstood a early withering fire, but took over and dominated in the third period and overtime. LA staves off elimination, but one would wonder what the hell has happened to Jonathan Quick, he got mortal real fast in this series.

Vezina final 3 are out and it's Rask (BOS), Bishop (TB), and Varlamov (COL). I think it's between Rask and Varlamov with due respect to Bishop's great year. Too bad he didn't get a chance in the playoffs.

Tampa's younger guys did pretty well actually. It was Brewer, Salo, Carle (very disappointing), Hedman (young but experienced), and such that really hurt them. Johnson, Brown, Palat and Paquette did pretty well. At the time I thought the Matt Carle signing was a good move but so far it's been iffy at best.

Right on cue, Krug and Soderberg make incredible plays for Boston. They are so crafty. Detroit is simply a different team when Zetterberg is in the lineup...better do it in game 5 if you're Boston.

LA erupts with 6 goals and that San Jose series is just weird. And it seems like you want to be down 2 goals in the Pitt/Jackets series - that series has way too many penalties called. It's ridiculous.

Bruins starting strong this afternoon. I'm really hoping they can dispatch the Wings today, really don't want them hanging around.

Does anyone know when the next series starts? Do they wait for the other bracket to finish or with they start Monday or Tuesday?

Krug with another tremendous game to help the B's. The earliest they can play MTL is Friday as far as I know. I know the Habs have dominated Boston recently but I think Boston's depth will eventually win out. Likely a 7-game series.

Avs get a super talent in Matt Duchene back from injury. They will be even more fun to watch!

SJ/LAK just keeps getting more interesting. Never count on the Sharks for anything.

Don't forget Hamilton's rush on the first goal with the feed to Ericksson, that was a nice play and Rask got an assist. Kings force a game seven, can they win 4 straight? Come to think of it, the B's, Hawks and Habs have already done that, crazy.

Tonight should be great 3 game 7's. I don't really have any picks for who is going to win. But I'll be watching.

As for Montreal and Boston I am a little nervous of course because its the Canadiens and history shows they have have our number for decades. I don't want to get into why I think Bruins are going to win because my beard is 2 weeks old and I don't want to jinx it. Can you tell I'm a hockey player...

As for the young defensemen Krug had been huge on the PP the last year and impressed me with his poise since stepping in last year. Hamilton seems to be rounding into a great player with the puck as well. The guy that had surprised me is Miller. I love his toughness and defense. I saw him play in March against Washington and didn't think much of him live but have watched him since and he seems to be improving every game. The Bruins have done a really good job with raising the future on the back end I think.

Agree with the 3 young defensemen, they've been a blast to watch. Two great games last night, I watched most of the Avs Wild when it became apparent the Sharks would blow that 3 game lead in heartbreaking fashion. Now it's on to the quarters and it would not surprise me if the Habs come in and steal the first one like Detroit did. I still think we take the series 4-2, I'm going with the Pens in 6, the Ducks in 7, and the Hawks in 6.

The guy who's really stepped up for Boston is Batkowski. I like Miller okay but Bartkowski has shown more maturity and understanding of the game. Krug is much more than a PP guy. His anticipation of that pass to spark Boston's 3rd goal was outstanding and hard to teach. He does get beat by size from time to time but fits very well into Julien's system. Boston's depth should win out especially since Paille comes back.

Chicago looks as tough as ever. You have to fake shots and slap pass to try to get around their incredible shot blocking.

Well it's just not penguins year, again. all one needs to know is Crosby played really well and was -3 tonight and has no goals in 7 playoff games. Can't buy any luck at this point. Only one game but pens came out flat, horrible power play set up, and more soft goals by franchise killer Fleury. Must win game 2 for pens
Posted from wireless.rivals.com

This post was edited on 5/2 10:12 PM by kooterridesagain

Fleury is mind F'ed. But who knows with that series..

Hats you called game one. I feel the bruins had so many close calls no go their way that the old ghosts from the past are back. That was one hell of a game though. I think like Detroit the bruins can adjust too Montreal after game one and will rebound. We got to get pressure on Subban he can't take point shots like he did last night with guys in front of Rask.

Funny, both Pittsburgh and Boston played well enough to win, but both Price and Lundquist were in top form. Both teams had tons of chances but couldn't finish, sometimes that's the way the puck bounces. Chicago, in the meantime, had a bit of a game on it's hands after blowing a two goal lead.
This post was edited on 5/3 9:14 AM by hatsbo

Price is in Boston's head right now. They're all trying to pick corners and Marchand is snakebit.

But what a shot by Subban to end it!

Boston D need to play better as a unit. Even Chara was poor in game 1. Boychuck was a disaster and the others not much better.

IMHO Boston and Montreal are 2 of the best 3 teams playing right now, with Chicago being the other. The level of play in NYR and Pitt series (and in their 1st-round series) is a full notch below.

What a come back today. I was shaking I was so mad during that second period. What happened on that Smith goal? That was one hell of a shift by that guy getting back and grinding on the boards to finally get a shot on net.

Patrick Kane has gone completely nuts for the hawks. I like what I saw from Minnesota though the played tough.

Ducks and Kings should be fun tonight as well.

Pens woke up in game 2 but they're still making Lundqvist look like a monster. Pens are going to explode one of these games for several goals. They're penalty killing was fantastic, 3 power plays to Rangers in first 7 minutes but the defense and even Fleury did well.

Back to back tonight big game 3 both teams may look dreary.

I'm watching the game tonight, the Pens have now shut down NY for five straight periods. I would have turned off the Bruins game Saturday if I had been home. Luckily I was trapped at a sports bar with some friends so I HAD to witness the comeback, lol. Shades of the Toronto series last year.

Originally posted by hatsbo:

I'm watching the game tonight, the Pens have now shut down NY for five straight periods. I would have turned off the Bruins game Saturday if I had been home. Luckily I was trapped at a sports bar with some friends so I HAD to witness the comeback, lol. Shades of the Toronto series last year.
The Pens only managed 15 shots, including a dreadful 1 shot in the 3rd.

I watched the entire B's game on Saturday and cursed the new playoff format when the Habs went up 3-1. I dreaded playing Montreal this early, but then again, I dreaded playing the Red Wings right out of the gate. Wouldn't it be something if the B's got Detroit, Montreal, the Rangers and Chicago. I wonder if in a 16 team playoff, has an original 6 played all O6 teams in the playoffs? It would be possible for a team from the east to do it.

When Smith scored goal #4, I was off the couch screaming Au revoir...sacrebleu.... (of course referring to the game and not the series).

Another 2 goal lead blown in the playoffs. I think that was either the 18th or 20th time that a 2 goal lead has been blown thus far in the playoffs, incredible.

Unless Boston and the Habs beat each other up beyond oblivion, that series winner will play for the Cup. The other division's series have been much more poorly played and sluggish. The back to back doesn't help but neither NYR or PIT has impressed me to date in any games.

Anaheim and LA is a fun series. LA really starting to play together but I think their bottom D can be exploited. Anaheim just hasn't managed it yet. Any east coast guys will be happy to see former BU standout Nick Bonino playing so well. Maybe not super talented but one of the smartest players in the league. He makes a nice addition to their depth at forward. Anaheim also has a surely immovable force in Devonte Smith-Pelley. I worked with him a few years ago and the kid is just a rock. Impossible to knock around. Great to see him get called up and now be one of their most important players.

IMHO it's still Chicago playing the best, with MTL/BOS winner and then maybe LA if they can keep the chemistry working.

Bruins find themselves down one game yet again, really need this one tonight. Our number one line needs more production, especially Krejci. The Wild looked impressive, shutting out the Hawks. Obviously the Ducks have their backs against the wall, man...Quick has really caught fire. The Rangers? Don't look like they have any answers for the Penguins.

Pens playing B- hockey but up 3-1 so I'll take it. Rangers look stunned but aren't creating any offense. Pens need to close.

Quick is like no other goalie when he's on a roll.

Bruins big one tonight

Wow that's the bruins team I have been waiting for all series. My hope is Montreal had time to rest after beating Tampa so quick and know they just can't take the beating from the bruins. That third line has played outstanding Soderberg is turning into a great player. He has impressed me for a while but he's stepped up his game big time especially against Montreal.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about Thornton squirting Subban. I think it is great personally, earlier Subban skates up to Lucic while on the bench like a tough guy. I can't stand how he will not take a hit in the corner but will dish it out. I don't think he can get any hotter than he is now, why not cool him down. I know the guy is a great player but he reminds me of why I hate the Canadiens.

Subban can take and dish it. He takes a LOT of hits. Bruins fans should hate him just like the Habs would hate Marchand. Subban is one of the best 3 or 4 D in the league and when you consider he's on everyone's "hit list" he carries it remarkably well. All players, even Gretzky, Crosby, Lemieux, and Yzerman get pissy from time to time. Even the Lady Byng winners (St. Louis and Datsyuk recently) had these kinds of things happen in this playoff season.

Many good series happening although Pitt and the Rangers doesn't do much for me. Relatively low quality of hockey.

Lundquist had a great game yesterday, the Rangers have really turned the mo' in that one. Emotional game for Marty after his mother died a few days earlier. I am hoping your observation about Montreal being beat up is correct, I'm glad they're only having a two day turnaround. That OT game had to be emotionally draining for them, they were flying around all game long but Rask was stalwart in net. Crazy the way Julien shook up the lines in that game, only to see the goal scored by a guy called up from Providence. It took us a minute to figure out and ID the guy who scored, lol.The fine accessed in the squirting incident was pretty funny with the cents thrown in for the extra levity. The Bruins are after Subban, just like the Habs pick on Marchand, they also try going after Chara, that's obviously a lot harder. The western series started out looking like two cake walks, but both are officially competitive.

Pittsburgh and Crosby with an epic choke job that will probably cause major personnel and coaching changes.

Pitt came in to playoffs ice cold but I thought up 3-1 they'd at least make next round. Atrocious power play, horrible chemistry, Crosby barely any scoring chances in 13 games after a great season. Scratching my head. Fleury ok but several soft goals didn't help.

Lundqvist dominated simply put. Totally shocked pens scored 3 goals in last 3 games and went 1 win 3 losses on home ice. Pathetic.

Lundqvist was good but Pitt was flat out disorganized, sloppy and lacking communication. One of the worst second-round teams I've seen in the past few years. Bylsma is sure to go and there may be some player changes.

At some point they need to cut bait with Fleury, He's too inconsistent and IMHO is a factor in a rift within the team.

The Rangers may catch fire and they will advance with a ton of confidence. But the bottom line is the quality of that series was far below the level where Boston and Montreal are at.

Speaking of which, an epic is on tap for Wednesday - the 9th game 7 in this incredible rivalry!

Condolences to all the Penguin fans out there, I've got quite a few friends licking their wounds in the Erie area right now. That program will get a shake up, will be interesting who goes, who stays and who come in. My nerves are not looking forward to Bruins Habs. It's like Yankees Sox in the playoffs, or Noles Gators with national implications, on the blood pressure scale. Seems like there have been a lot of flukey goals in this series, let's hope that's not the way it's decided tonight...unless it benefits the B's, lol. I was hoping the Wild would stretch that one out to 7 or even pull off the upset, good effort, just came up a bit short. Another one of those huge momentum shifts happening out west in the Duck's favor, Kings are on the ropes now.

Originally posted by hatsbo:

Another one of those huge momentum shifts happening out west in the Duck's favor, Kings are on the ropes now.
Kings on the ropes? They won the Cup a few years ago as an 8 seed and didn't they just come back from a 3-0 deficit?

My nerves are shot already for tonight's Game 7. The B's played so poorly in Game 6, that the momentum is 100% swung in Montreal's direction.

It's simple for the B's, play physical and stop shooting the puck where Price is. The B's have missed so many empty nets, hit the post dozens of times and just flat out hit Price in the chest with the rest of the net empty.

Marchand and Krecji need to stand up and be counted. Krecji has 3 playoff assists, and two of those came on EN'ers. Lucic needs to step it up a notch, also.

Rask has been horrible at home (career) against Les Habitants.

Tonight's game is the reason that Jarome Iginla came to Boston, he needs to have a Mark Recchi veteran game tonight, of course Recchi had his name on the Cup twice before winning a 3rd in Boston.

3 of the final 4 teams are O6'ers. Should Boston win and face Chicago in the finals, the B's would have played Detroit, Montreal, New York Rangers and Chicago.... or 4 of the O6.

Do you know where the Bell Centre is in Montreal? On top of da hill, halfway down.

Is this rivalry not the tops in sports? The Habs sold out the Bell Centre for Game 7.

Let's go Bruins! Let's go Bruins! Let's go Bruins! Less than an hour away from the most exciting game in sports, game 7 of any NHL playoff series, and of course it's Boston/Montreal!!!

Always a shame when the ice itself has a major effect on the game. TD Garden has never had very good ice IMHO.

The series was very even, Montreal made their own luck and obviously got the better of the bounces...had to be 10+ posts for Boston. In the end Montreal made fewer mistakes and deserved the win.

Boychuck, Marchand and Krejci were atrocious. Johnny can sure shoot the puck but is out of his element as a high D pairing. Horrific penalty to take at the end of the game,

Meanwhile Montreal got that toughness they typically lack from Wiese (who has some skill) and Eller. Travis Moen can also get under your skin.

I don't know who is staying up but the Anaheim/LA series is really good hockey. Nice to see former US Junior standout John Gibson play well in net for the Ducks. He won gold for the US just last year....expect him to be Quick's heir apparent in net for Team USA Olympics.

That ice was horrible last night.

The B's probably hit more post in that series than I have ever seen in a series. The were physical and just couldn't get it done. Of course the puck of Chara was just a lucky bounce for Habs but it goes in.

I actually think Montreal is riding pretty high and can probably handle the Rangers easily, as much as I hate to say it. But you still have to play the games. The good news about the Rangers winning the series is the Bolts now have 2 number ones in both 2014 and 2015 as part of the Marty trade.

Good point.

The Rangers just aren't as good as MTL but they did get Kreider back and he can be a difference maker. It will be the Lundqvist show if they beat the Habs.

I think the western winner will be pretty heavily favored. The W conf finals should be a great series.

Haven't felt that down since the 96 championship game when we lost to the gators, at least last night I was in the safety of my home and not the streets of New Orleans, lol. Montreal stood up to us physically, and took advantage of their breaks while we pissed ours away, congrats to them. You gotta put it in the net to win and what can you say? One damn goal in the last two games, series over man... So now I guess I root for the Rangers, although like you said, tough task ahead. Hopefully we sucked the life out of Montreal, both physically and emotionally. The Ducks Kings series is turning into a classic, it was fun to watch last night and get my mind off other unpleasantries, lol.

Well looks like Carey Price is out for the series after a Ranger crashed the net. You'd think this would work to Montreal's advantage as they will use it for motivation. Question is can their backup goalie Budaj{sp} do the job? He stunk up the joint on Saturday after they pulled Price. Hawks win over Kings in their opener, Crawford really looks sharp.

Lundqvist steals the show. Honestly I don't really like watching the Rangers play. They're better with Kreider in the lineup but still a very average team except for one guy. I'm not a huge fan of their style either and Allain Vigneault just rubs me the wrong way.

Budaj is a capable goalie but losing Price is a certain blow to the team.

Out west it's really fun to watch. Chicago has the best shot-blocking group in the NHL. Crawford is good but his job is made so much easier by them.

The Habs and the Kings both storm back in important times. LA is so inconsistent but they manage to push teams to the limit.

Montreal looks totally gassed and deflated. I guess it's a combo of losing Price and the beating of 7 games with Boston (far more taxing than 7 games with Pittsburgh). To their credit the Rangers have been very mobile, quick and done a nice job counter-attacking. Some of their lines still confuse me but they are playing as a unified team for sure. Nice to see Kreider doing so well.

Been visiting family over the last five days but managed to catch the last three goals by the Kings in that epic Hawks collapse. And I now know who Tyler Toffoli is. Montreal, what can you say? They won one of two close ones in NYC, but winning three straight against a hot playoff goalie will be no easy task. And yes, I think the Boston series affected them, we would have likely had our hands full if we had gotten by Montreal.

FSUTPX?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This post was edited on 6/1 11:44 PM by wrdsmth

What can you say about LA? When they won the Cup in 2012 as an 8 seed, they knocked out the 1,2 and 3 seeds in the west, and then the 6 seed in the east (NJ) for Cup. This year, they have done the same in the west and face the 5 seed in the Rangers.

Down 3-0 to San Jose. Down tonight 2-0, 3-2 and 4-3. THREE Game 7 road wins, first time in history!

Now it's time to root for the "hometown" team and root for the Kings. I think when they won in 2012, approx. 14 players made a stop here in Manchester. I'd have to look at the roster when I get a chance, but I am willing to bet that approximately the same number of players played here for the Monarchs at some point.

Just checked quickly, 10 Kings that played tonight, played here in Manch, and 14 on the roster were a Monarch at one time or another.

Let's go Kings!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT