ADVERTISEMENT

No. 6 FSU Soccer at Texas A&M Game Thread (Noles win 2-1)

Claire Rain down for an extended time. Can’t put much weight on her left leg. Didn’t look good and needs to be carted off. That’s a really tough loss for the Backline and this early in the year is less than ideal. Rain was really good for Tennessee and being counted on to be a stalwart for that defense. Hoping it’s nothing to serious or extensive.

FINAL: FSU wins 2-1 on the road. Taylor Huff the hero.

Gutsy win for the Noles. Crazy conditions away from home with the heat and hostile crowd. Team is far from healthy and a finished product. Result on the road against a good team. You’ll take it every time.

No. 9 TCU on Sunday (8 PM ET, ESPN+)

FSU wins 2-1 sans Jody Brown and LeiLani Nesbeth. Those are 2 of the most important players on our team without a doubt.
Things I think I learned.
1. I wasn't onboard the Taylor Huff train until tonight. All aboard. Big, strong. Can turn and run and a good passer. Not a bad finisher either
:)
;)

2. Echegini is dangerous anywhere up top, but I'd like to see her at AMF maybe as a 2 headed AMF along with TH and let Jody and Beatta find spaces.
3. Heather Gilchrist has made excellent progress in her passing since last year. I'm liking what I'm seeing from her.
4. Ran Iwai makes too many inaccurate passes, but boy when she unleashes a great one...
5. Garcia is creative with good footwork, but lacks quickness to create space on her own.
6. Jordyn Dudley reminds me of Rebecca Jarrett formerly of UVA. Tall and very fast. I think she may be better on the ball at THIS stage of her career than RJ was. Expect big things from her this year. Looks like she's got a very good soccer IQ.
7. VanZanten. Another one with very good 1v1 ball skills that should only get better with time. Another high IQ player IMO.
8. Flynn Solid defensively, but at least once a game misjudges a defender and gives a ball away.
9. Nguyen Decent ball skills. Saw her take a 40 yard pass down as softly as a babies bum, but then proceeded to give it away. Her lack of foot speed concerns me at FB.
10. Farkas and Pais looked good enough to give us some minutes, but won't chase a starter's job.
11. I'm afraid Rain has a torn ACL or similar injury. See you next year hopefully.
12. Alagoa lacks good footspeed, but has creativity. I'll wait and see.
13. Zipay. Need to see more.
14. Didn't see Nourse, Taitano or Lebdaoui. I think Nourse was nursing a minor injury. Not sure about Taitano.
15. Maybe we see Brown and Nesbeth this Sunday?
Good win in hostile territory and hot conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Ferrante
FINAL: FSU wins 2-1 on the road. Taylor Huff the hero.

Gutsy win for the Noles. Crazy conditions away from home with the heat and hostile crowd. Team is far from healthy and a finished product. Result on the road against a good team. You’ll take it every time.

No. 9 TCU on Sunday (8 PM ET, ESPN+)
I love Van Zandt's play, aggressive, offensive minded. Girls were just a little off, expected first few games. Defensive miscues need to be cleaned up. And Taylor Huff is going to be hard to stop this season.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Team wasn't fully together until about Tuesday and it showed. I actually the Echegini looked tired and as if she was still getting her footing with the group. Maybe she's adjusting to the time change back from Australia (that drastic a change can really mess with people for up to a week). Her touch was still pretty good, but just seemed a little off and slow to the ball. Probably scores the ball she hit off the bar in mid-season form.

Rains being hurt will be tough for the team if it's long term. I thought both outside backs struggled tonight in defense. Van Zant does have some intrigue going forward into the attack, it's smooth. Maybe she gets the lion's share of minutes with Rains out and it allows her to develop quickly.

Not having Nesbeth was obvious, she's the most important player on the team, imo. Has the Jaelin Howell type of impact on the team when she's right and she's one of the vocal leaders. Communication seemed a little lacking at times tonight and I'm not sure Iwai is the solution there full-time, need Lei back soon. Jody Brown's pace and creativity with the ball was missed and there aren't many college defenders that can contain her. Think this could have been a 3 and maybe 4-1 type game if FSU is fully healthy and in mid-season form.

Can't complain with road points though, especially not a win. TCU will be a stiffer test for the group, looking forward to it.

Team wasn't fully together until about Tuesday and it showed. I actually the Echegini looked tired and as if she was still getting her footing with the group. Maybe she's adjusting to the time change back from Australia (that drastic a change can really mess with people for up to a week). Her touch was still pretty good, but just seemed a little off and slow to the ball. Probably scores the ball she hit off the bar in mid-season form.

Rains being hurt will be tough for the team if it's long term. I thought both outside backs struggled tonight in defense. Van Zant does have some intrigue going forward into the attack, it's smooth. Maybe she gets the lion's share of minutes with Rains out and it allows her to develop quickly.

Not having Nesbeth was obvious, she's the most important player on the team, imo. Has the Jaelin Howell type of impact on the team when she's right and she's one of the vocal leaders. Communication seemed a little lacking at times tonight and I'm not sure Iwai is the solution there full-time, need Lei back soon. Jody Brown's pace and creativity with the ball was missed and there aren't many college defenders that can contain her. Think this could have been a 3 and maybe 4-1 type game if FSU is fully healthy and in mid-season form.

Can't complain with road points though, especially not a win. TCU will be a stiffer test for the group, looking forward to it.
Agree with all you said. I have been ambivalent about Iwai's play her entire career. Do we know when Nesbeth will return??? Brown literally can play all over the field and changes the dynamic wherever she plays. She is so much better than when the season started last year and her ability to play almost anywhere is going to be a needed factor this season. Van Zant (sp?) is very impressive and her offensive orientation is cool to watch.

Reactions: Mortain44
I agree with communication being off. There were several passes that seemed off target, but I think it was more of a communication thing than bad passing.

Reactions: fsufool
What a match! Loved the effort the ladies gave all night. I did think BP left Garcia in too long. She looked too exhausted to chase down some long balls to her side and her header had nothing on it. But in that heat, they all gave 100% and it was a good win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT