ADVERTISEMENT

No More Day Light Savings in Florida

I read somewhere Rubio introduced 2 bills to Senate. 1 to make daylight saving permanent Nationwide. The other to approve Florida doing it. So I guess he thinks it might be possible they don't approve the Nationwide one but will approve the Florida one.

Nah. Either make it daylight savings year round or leave it as is. I want some daylight after the work day is done at least part of the year.

I do think there's a legitimate concern with it not being light until after 8 AM however. If it weren't for kids having to wait for buses in the dark or walk to school in the dark I wouldn't be too concerned, but that's going to be difficult for all of us to become productive when our eyes haven't even seen the sun yet.

I do think there's a legitimate concern with it not being light until after 8 AM however. If it weren't for kids having to wait for buses in the dark or walk to school in the dark I wouldn't be too concerned, but that's going to be difficult for all of us to become productive when our eyes haven't even seen the sun yet.
There are also industries like construction that generally start around 7am. In a state like Florida, that would be a huge adjustment.

There are also industries like construction that generally start around 7am. In a state like Florida, that would be a huge adjustment.

Construction just likes to use all the available daylight, I think they'd easily adjust as the total amount of daylight isn't changing, just the time it would start.

Reactions: KitingHigh
Isn't it already dark in the morning for the kiddies to wait for buses? Also we do have street lights now. ;)

Construction just likes to use all the available daylight, I think they'd easily adjust as the total amount of daylight isn't changing, just the time it would start.
I've been in the construction industry for nearly 40 years. A primary goal of the early start is to minimize time during the heat of the day in the summer. Believe me, there will be resistance

Reactions: EconSean
Isn't it already dark in the morning for the kiddies to wait for buses? Also we do have street lights now. ;)
It is some of the time. Although I think with as late as middle school starts, likely not in that case. I don't know in elementary since we don't use buses for our elementary age child and I only ever took them in Middle school or later.

I've been in the construction industry for nearly 40 years. A primary goal of the early start is to minimize time during the heat of the day in the summer. Believe me, there will be resistance
But the change wouldn't affect the summer months. We're already in DST in summer months and this idea is too simply stay there all the time. So it would only really affect the months from November to March when it's not hot.

I don't see where this is an issue. If the sun comes up at 8 instead of 7, the hottest point of the day will also be an hour later. So, the hottest part of the day will still be a certain amount of time after the sun comes up...the same amount of time it is today.

Not sure what is happening with our day light savings law, but this is interesting.

The EU turns its clocks back by one hour on Sunday. It may be the last time the bloc uses Daylight Saving Time, after citizens voted to abolish it earlier this year.

I guess our esteemed Congress people have more important things to do than approve the law passed in the spring?

I believe it is Fall back and Spring forward. So if sun rises at 730 it will rise at 630 after the “fall back” of an hour.
I can never remember which is "standard" and which is "daylight savings" though. I think I'm in the minority in that I prefer the early sunrise version (standard time?).

I guess our esteemed Congress people have more important things to do than approve the law passed in the spring?
The whole thing was just a big PR thing for the state.... No one ever expected Congress to actually pass a law allowing it. We simply have the law in place in case Congress ever does decide to allow states to choose how to approach it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT