ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure if it's a mid life crisis thing but I'm seriously thinking of getting this car

It's mid life my man. Might as well enjoy the back 9 of life.

I enjoy watching Street Outlaws because I love the population of the cars from the 60s-80s.

Funny though, when you think about how many cars in the 70s that made 250 HP vs how many now make 250, modern cars are just more refined and not as hooligan-ish even though many outperform stock vs stock.

I was looking at getting an early 90s TA (relive my 20s) and it is amazing how few 6 speeds are out there. Driving for the sake of driving is just fun. So much more than just going A to B.
My '72 LT-1 engine makes an advertised 255 hp. It is the 350 ci version of the late 60's Z-28.

I had a 60s Mustang and a lot of my friends had 60s-early 70s muscle cars or pickups with giant engines. We were buying these for $2-3k and most were still completely stock. No A/C, rudimentary seat belts, if any, no power steering or brakes (or power anything).

But so much fun to drive. Not from a cushy comfort perspective but from a “going like a bat out of hell” perspective. They were simultaneously just what a 17-18 year old boy needed and just what 17-18 year old boy didn’t need.
I just looked up the standard tire size for both 1968 and 2018 Camaros.
1968 - 195/75R14 = 25.5x7.7R14
2018 - 275/35R20
Can you imagine turning a wide tire on a 20" wheel without power steering?

My high school car was a 1972 Skylark in 1988. Nothing restored about it, just a 16 year old car for a 16 year old. We bought it for $600. I still miss it very much. Had a 70 Chevelle for a couple years in the 90s, I think that was $400, but I never really loved that one.

I just looked up the standard tire size for both 1968 and 2018 Camaros.
1968 - 195/75R14 = 25.5x7.7R14
2018 - 275/35R20
Can you imagine turning a wide tire on a 20" wheel without power steering?
The old steering boxes had a lot lower gearing in them. 22:1 vs about 12:1 now.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I had a 1961 Vette in 1968. A few years ago - late life crisis hit and I bought a new 2015 Vette. I supercharged it and added headers and a few other gadgets that boosted the horsepower to around 700. Fun car but my passion was a sportscar versus a muscle car. Sold the Vette and bought a 2007 Lambo with 10,000 mikes on it. I drove my Vette 1-2,000 miles a year and will do the same with my Lambo. Fun miles!!

This message board should have been renamed the Midlife Crisis Message Board about 15 years ago, so no worries there Funk. Just don't make a new thread every time you get a girl to sleep with you like JLory used to (until he ran over his own dog).

As for the car - my older brother had a '69 SS when I was too young to drive...I thought I'd get the car one day, but it only had a 10-bolt rear end, which was way too weak for the torque from the 396 big block they were putting in SS's. So, if your actually looking at muscle cars, be sure to check the rear end components to see that you have the heavy duty stuff in back to match the power from the front. My brother's car used to eat universal joints at an alarming rate, and never when it was convenient to replace them.
Whatever happened to jlory? I used to enjoy his mid-2000s rants about selling real estate to old New Yorkers.

My first car was a '67 Camaro...wish I wouldn't have sold it for a whopping $1500 about 25 years ago. Clean as a whistle and all original.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT