ADVERTISEMENT

Not Your Father's Root Beer

Semiologist

All-American
Apr 19, 2002
Tried this for the first time this weekend. Amazing. It tastes just like sugary root beer. I wonder how long it'll stay on the market before the angry masses get it banned.
Not-Your-Fathers-Root-Beer-6PK-12OZ-BTL.jpg

I tried this a few months ago, surprisingly good. I don't think I could drink more than one in a sitting, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Is it actually beer, or is it just a root beer flavored version of Smirnoff Ice?

QUOTE="Semiologist, post: 504126, member: 3410"]Tried this for the first time this weekend. Amazing. It tastes just like sugary root beer. I wonder how long it'll stay on the market before the angry masses get it banned.
[ QUOTE]

Without looking it up, root beer was originally a low alcoholic near beer that was common in a lot of flavors in England. There's a term for those type of now nonexistent low alcohol but highly flavored beers but it's slipping my mind at the moment (we'll say "low beer"). So I'm only surprised it's taken this long for them to show back up on the national level.

Is it actually beer, or is it just a root beer flavored version of Smirnoff Ice?

There's an underlying flavor of beer (decent Alc % too) but it's entirely dominated by the root beer flavor. I couldn't have more than one in a sitting, the wife really enjoyed it.

I've seen a few Not Your Father's Root Beer Float recipes floating around too.

QUOTE="Semiologist, post: 504126, member: 3410"]Tried this for the first time this weekend. Amazing. It tastes just like sugary root beer. I wonder how long it'll stay on the market before the angry masses get it banned.
[ QUOTE]

Without looking it up, root beer was originally a low alcoholic near beer that was common in a lot of flavors in England. There's a term for those type of now nonexistent low alcohol but highly flavored beers but it's slipping my mind at the moment (we'll say "low beer"). So I'm only surprised it's taken this long for them to show back up on the national level.

This one doesn't have a token alcohol level. It 5.9% (you can see it in the lower left hand corner of the photo). They also have a special edition that's over 10%. It is distributed by Pabst.

Definitely drinkable, but a little too sweet to down a few at one sitting, IMO. My wife likes it, which is okay in my book. :)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I tried the 10% version a few weeks ago and it surprisingly did taste like root beer. It was way too sweet for me and left a cough syrup like aftertaste so it's probably not something where I would drink more than one at time.

Guy working at the shop said they also make a limited version that is 20% alc although it is very hard to find.

Love me some root beer.
And, of course, I love beer too.
I need to try this.

I've seen a lot of people going on and on about it on IG and Twitter, time to try it out.

Bought a case of this a little while back, but I really like root beer and nothing better than a little alcohol to go with it. It is a sweet beer, but you sure can chug one on a hot day. Three is about the most I can get down at one time.

http://smalltownbrewery.com/about/

I'm wanting to try the 19.5% ABV, but you can't get in Goergia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT