ADVERTISEMENT

Odell Haggins Monday press conference video and updates (w/ transcript)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
TRANSCRIPT

Odell starts by recognizing the veterans. Thanks them for their service.

He then says the players had a good practice on Sunday, they were joyful about the win.

Tre McKitty didn't play because of an ankle injury, but begged to go in on the onside kick because he's part of the hands team. So he went in there. "That's the Nole way, that's how Florida State is built."

Odell says he made the players run for the penalties. And he talked to each kid that got penalized. ... "Sometimes you put your arms around a kid and let them know you love them and that they're for them, and they'll go perform for you. ... Nobody's perfect. But we took care of the penalties yesterday and we'll keep working on it."

Odell says he got so many texts he can't read them all. Also says his voice mail is cleared up. Once I cleared it out it filled right back up.

Odell on recruiting: "We're calling and texting them every day. The best way to handle recruiting, this coach thinks so, is to keep winning and that we're going back to the Florida State way. .... The kids just want to see what's going on."

"They showed fight. That's the Florida State way. (And the recruits) just want to see a plan."

Odell asks boosters and fans to "come pack Doak Campbell Stadium for the fourth- and fifth-year seniors."

"My statement to them is we've got to grow up now. ... We're going to go out there and play Florida State brand football. 1, do your job. Fight every play. And communicate." --- that's what he told them at halftime.

Marvin Wilson was waiting for team bus when it got back to Doak. "Marvin is a special kid. ... He loves Florida State. As his position coach, it brought tears to my eyes. Just think about this: Your best player on your team can't be there. Sacrificing, says he'd wrap it up and play in this game, make sure we get bowl eligible. ... That speaks a lot. He's a big time leader. Great kid. I love him." ---- Odell got a little choked up talking about Wilson just now.

Odell says he asked coaches to take the players out after practice. Enjoy them. And then go home, be with the family and don't come back to the office until 7:30 Monday morning.

"James Blackman went out there and practiced well. ... The message all week to this football team was to attack our opponent in all three phases. That's what Coach Briles did with Blackman."

Haggins made all the coaches get together on Thursday to discuss the game plan together. He asked Briles about decisions, Barnett and Snyder about decisions, too. "What yard line will we go for it? Not go for it? Situational football."

Haggins was asked about Jordan Travis's role moving forward. Repeats again that Coach Briles is going to run his offense. He might get more snaps. Maybe they put Cam back there more. "We don't know."

Haggins said Leavitt helped out a lot. "He helped with communication. ... I call him the Duracell battery. He keeps going and going and going."

Odell says he called Coach Bowden, Andrews, Gladden. Wanted to thank them all. And says he told them he learned a lot from them because they "instilled integrity in us and character. And they never quit." Men like Mickey Andrews and Bobby Bowden were honest with him. "That's why I'm standing up here right now."

Haggins said Travis showed his mobility in practice. "Travis has been a soldier all year. Working hard, didn't play, but when his time was called he went out and did a great job. That's what Florida State is all about. Everybody doing their job and executing your job."

I clicked over to the offense when we had the ball. "Maybe I can see something being a defensive line coach. ... We communicated well. ... "Briles, keep calling it, baby. Call your game." ... Says he tries to help in any way he can.

And that's a wrap! Odell is done. And so are we! You guys are the best. Be blessed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning.

We will be interviewing Coach Odell today at noon. Corey will post updates here, and we’ll also have the live stream. Then Aslan will have the full video replay up after.

So check back around noon or later for updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News