ADVERTISEMENT

Official MLB Playoff Thread (Go Cubs)

skramer100

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Might be the only fan on here, but what a great start to October.
Mods, maybe this can stay here?

If they can run Arrieta out 11 more times in the next three weeks, they're going to win the World Series.

I was at the game tonight, and he was just nasty.

Sox fan since 1976 or so and Cardinals fan since about 1979, so obviously I am rooting against the Cubs, but baseball is better with them in the playoffs! I love the Houston/Kansas City series. It's great that the Mets and Dodgers will knock the other out, as I dislike in no particular order: NY Yankees, NY Mets, Dodgers and Cubs.

If the Cards can't win, would love to see my buddy's team, K.C., win it all, or even Houston (who I think will be sticking around for a while).

We are Pittsburgh fans but I hold no ill will for the Cubs. Arrieta is just filthy.

Thing is, I just hate the system that 1. after 162 games has a 1 game winner take all game to advance and 2. guarantees that 2 of the top 3 teams in baseball by record are eliminated after the first round of the playoffs.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I've been a Cubs fan since I can first remember. Growing up in Lakeland (well before FL had a baseball team) I had to choose from what was broadcast on TBS (Braves) or WGN (Cubs/Sox)... being the glutton for punishment I must have been back then as a life long Bucs fan, I naturally gravitated to the Cubs.

I think we have a really great shot this year but I'm not going to be devastated if we don't... we've FINALLY got all the pieces in place with an amazing manager, GM, owner, and young talent all around. I feel its coming.

We are Pittsburgh fans but I hold no ill will for the Cubs. Arrieta is just filthy.

Thing is, I just hate the system that 1. after 162 games has a 1 game winner take all game to advance and 2. guarantees that 2 of the top 3 teams in baseball by record are eliminated after the first round of the playoffs.
Agree. Feel like the Wild Card should be a best of 3 game series.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I absolutely hate the one game system. That isn't how baseball works. One team with a dominating pitcher can win one game while maybe not being that good otherwise. I'd like to see them go to a three game series with the following format.

Play the first game at the lower seeded team.
Take a day off
Play a double header (If necessary) at the higher seeded teams ball park to advance.

I don't mind limiting it to a best 2 out of 3, but a one off just bothers me.

I see I am in the minority here but I love the one game playoff. The amount of tension in that game is amazing, its like starting the playoffs with two game 7s.

Mets fan here, happy to see the Yankees get dominated!

Reactions: AdNole
Astros may draw more viewers than the Texans tonight. It will be interesting to see if the game is sold out. But this being Texas and the football game is on network, more people will probably watch that than the astros. I'm going to Sunday's games. Keuchel is money at home.

chicago_cubs_w_flag_alt_pic.jpg

I still think the Cubs are one pitcher short. Lester hasn't been great this year and behind him it's real dicey. That offense is unreal though and so young. They will be around for a long time and with Maddon and Epstein you gotta think this is the group to break the curse. Although I'm sure they felt the same way 10 years or so ago with Prior and Wood.

Reactions: AdNole
Doesn't matter, its a done deal. Back to the Future prophesied this already. They win in 5.

Too lazy to look for the old thread. Went to the Astros game last night. First time going to playoff baseball (game up my Game 4 WS tickets in '05 because I was pressing a deadline and thought there was no way in hell the Astros were going to get swept)...it was one of the best profession sporting experience there. A bunch of young kids with their families. Super loud. I didn't see any belligerent fans that only go to the game to get their drink on--like at the Texans game.

May wonder over there at noon to see which tickets are available....I think SRO's are going for 40 bucks.

Reactions: rhurner and dmm5157
Edit: just read the guy's story, and I'll remove my comment about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Congrats Cubbies! Beating the two teams with the best records in baseball back to back is impressive. Schwarber and Bryant are the best pair of rookie hitter one one team in MLB.
I remember Schwarber playing for Indiana when they came to Howser for a Super Regional a couple of years ago. You knew then he was going to be a star.

A mets vs cubs NLCS will be good-- both groups of fans are loud. It would make a good atmosphere.

The Mets may have blown that chance last night though. I'm not a fan of either the mets, cubs or Dodgers so I don't really care but a mets cubs series would be fun.

Great win, set up pitching for Jake going 1,4,7 in NLCS. Like our chances.

Yep, and in glad Maddon stuck with his pre series order and kept to Hammels pitching game 4.

I'm kind of hoping for the Dodgers to win since Kershaw and Grienke will have worked pretty hard already and their pen and remaining lineup aren't quite as strong as the Mets.

What about Harvey not seeing the mound at all during the series? Scott Boris really screwed him in the eyes of his teammates, management and fans. I think the Mets would dump him now if they could.

What about Harvey not seeing the mound at all during the series? Scott Boris really screwed him in the eyes of his teammates, management and fans. I think the Mets would dump him now if they could.
He started in Game 3 and didn't pitch too well.

I don't see Chicago losing to either LA/NY. They are the hottest team in baseball, and I think that is the best predictor. More so than any other sport. I.e. Fresno State in the CWS a few years ago.

I don't see Chicago losing to either LA/NY. They are the hottest team in baseball, and I think that is the best predictor. More so than any other sport. I.e. Fresno State in the CWS a few years ago.
Vegas agrees with you. Right now Chicago is 4/5 to win the National League pennant while the Dodgers are 12/5 and the Mets are 3/1. The Cubs are also the favorite to win the World Series at 2/1.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/futures/

Astros tonight with McHugh v. Cueto. McHugh pitched well the first game. Question is do you go to your bullpen--who has not pitched well--or do you go with either Dallas Keuchel/Friers to finish the game.

Astros tonight with McHugh v. Cueto. McHugh pitched well the first game. Question is do you go to your bullpen--who has not pitched well--or do you go with either Dallas Keuchel/Friers to finish the game.

Depends on how many the Royals score early. There's a lot of pressure on Houston after the collapse. The Royals, once again, are playing on borrowed money. An early run by the Royals and a repeat of inning 4-7 Cueto from game 2 and the young Astros could fall apart, like a 1985 WS Game 7 Cardinals. Keuchel won't be able to do a MadBum and throw 7.

The oft-repeated thing here is that baseball players usually don't dwell on bad losses like Game 4. The 2005 game, which Lidge gave up the walk-off homerun to Pujols...Oswalt pitched a masterful Game 5 and Astros went on to the WS.

I think it's a 6 inning game. If the Astros can jump on Cueto and get ahead, I like their chances. If they get behind and the Royals can get to their bullpen...it's game over.

I played baseball for many years and caught for most of them. Never have I seen that happen. If Toronto goes on to lose by this score, that is the worse luck ever.

That catcher will be a little more careful throwing the ball back to the pitcher from now on. Rooting for them, but I'm not sure the Rangers can prevail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT