ADVERTISEMENT

Our 2001 Orange Bowl Loss to Oklahoma

All I can remember was how many times we passed the ball out of a two wideout set...we played right into Oklahoma's strengths the entire game...almost every one of them out of ad-nauseum play-action that fooled NO ONE in the stadium. Yeah, I am still bitter. A lot. If we drop half a hundred on them it ain't enough.

Everything that has been said is true, but losing the best player in the stadium in the first probably changed that game more than all the rest.

Mark richt screwed us. As did snoop Minnis.
Half true. Richt should have turned Bowden down and told him that he needed to focus on his new job at UGA. But how could he turn down his beloved mentor? Bowden should not have put him in that position. He should have learned from Brad Scott doing the same thing in 93. We nearly lost that game because the offense did not prepare well to face Nebraska. They won and maybe that led Bowden to not learn that lesson.
Half of that was on Bobby.

I was miserable. We were in Dallas and had to watch it with my son and his then-fiancée who had been an OU cheerleader.
Soooo glad he didn’t marry her...
Now, was that really necessary? :cool:

Mark richt screwed us. As did snoop Minnis.
Richt was just making a huge career move that any coach would do, and we didn't need him in that game near as much as needed a damn play maker on the field, and Snoop was definitely that.

Half true. Richt should have turned Bowden down and told him that he needed to focus on his new job at UGA. But how could he turn down his beloved mentor? Bowden should not have put him in that position. He should have learned from Brad Scott doing the same thing in 93. We nearly lost that game because the offense did not prepare well to face Nebraska. They won and maybe that led Bowden to not learn that lesson.
Half of that was on Bobby.
I loved Bobby more than anyone. But the painful reality is that he de facto retired long before he actually did. He had stopped calling plays and really did not have any mastery of our own offense. He was 100% dependent on Richt, and had no contingency plan in place to deal with his announcement.

Guys working deep into their 70s can create issues. We may still love them, but they are not as good or as effective as they were years earlier. Sad but true.

Richt was just making a huge career move that any coach would do, and we didn't need him in that game near as much as needed a damn play maker on the field, and Snoop was definitely that.
As has been stated over 100 times, the 'huge career move' was accepting the UGA head coaching job. Good for him! NO ONE criticizes Mark for that.

The 'bush league move' was going to work for UGA immediately, abandoning FSU, and leaving the Heisman trophy QB led and high powered FSU offense without an OC.

The result: the offense was shut out! Didn't score a single point! Our defense played lights out! And Richt turned the lights out on our offense.

As has been stated over 100 times, the 'huge career move' was accepting the UGA head coaching job. Good for him! NO ONE criticizes Mark for that.

The 'bush league move' was going to work for UGA immediately, abandoning FSU, and leaving the Heisman trophy QB led and high powered FSU offense without an OC.

The result: the offense was shut out! Didn't score a single point! Our defense played lights out! And Richt turned the lights out on our offense.
This guy gets it.

Sounds swell, but not reality. Dude was making 150k at FSU. He started making 600k at Georgia — big bucks at the time — where he hoped/planned to be long-term. He had every incentive to leave, and no obligation to “stick around” to help his former employer. He actually did that ONLY as a courtesy to Bobby.

Not Mark’s fault that Bobby failed to have ANY contingency plan. Bobby knew that Mark had been sniffing head coaching jobs a few years before 2000. Love Bobby, but he dropped the ball on this one. Why not let Billy Sexton drive the bus?

Bowden supported him taking the UGA job, of course, but asked him to still come back and act as the OC. Of course Richt wanted to honor his mentor's wishes and tried to do so. But that was not a tenable situation and Bowden should not have put him in that spot. You can't blame Richt without blaming Bowden equally.
Remember, a similar thing happened in 93 with Brad Scott and it nearly cost us an NC. The offense was horrible against Nebraska in the bowl game. Worst offensive performance of the year for us, but nobody rags on Scott bc we won.

Bowden supported him taking the UGA job, of course, but asked him to still come back and act as the OC. Of course Richt wanted to honor his mentor's wishes and tried to do so. But that was not a tenable situation and Bowden should not have put him in that spot. You can't blame Richt without blaming Bowden equally.
Remember, a similar thing happened in 93 with Brad Scott and it nearly cost us an NC. The offense was horrible against Nebraska in the bowl game. Worst offensive performance of the year for us, but nobody rags on Scott bc we won.
BTW, I'd love for somebody here with an old connection to ask Brad Scott what he thinks about his and Richt's situations and if, in hindsight, he thinks it should have been handled differently.

All I can remember was how many times we passed the ball out of a two wideout set...we played right into Oklahoma's strengths the entire game...almost every one of them out of ad-nauseum play-action that fooled NO ONE in the stadium. Yeah, I am still bitter. A lot. If we drop half a hundred on them it ain't enough.
I was there - still is disbelief - our linebackers were in man coverage with their WR’s -

A very bad nightmare

Noles for life!!!!!

BTW, I'd love for somebody here with an old connection to ask Brad Scott what he thinks about his and Richt's situations and if, in hindsight, he thinks it should have been handled differently.
Richt has already said he would have done it differently.

Yes, we can. Bowden wanted Richt to be OC. He knew that Mark would have a conflict, but believed Richt would make a greater effort than Richt actually made. Bowden was too polite to say that publicly.

Reactions: Jeffersoncountynole
Yes, we can. Bowden wanted Richt to be OC. He knew that Mark would have a conflict, but believed Richt would make a greater effort than Richt actually made. Bowden was too polite to say that publicly.
Disagree. Bowden should have known better. It happened with Brad Scott too.

Once you earned Bobby’s trust he relied on your word. It was this thing called loyalty.
Word had it that Bobby asked Richt at halftime what his Plan B for the offense was. Richt indicated he didn’t have one.
That’s shared blame IMO.
Can you please expand on your thoughts and feelings about loyalty? And please share more about the shared distribution of only scoring 2 points in a friggin' Orange Bowl game! I'm quite sure and confident that several of us are very intrigued. Thanks. :cool:

Once you earned Bobby’s trust he relied on your word. It was this thing called loyalty.
Word had it that Bobby asked Richt at halftime what his Plan B for the offense was. Richt indicated he didn’t have one.
That’s shared blame IMO.
Interesting. If true, it is curious why he waited until halftime to game plan with a coach known to be coaching his last game. Even up until that point Bobby was known to commandeer the headset. Trust or no trust.

All I got to say is we better take them seriously. They may be 6-6 but lot of close loses. And play much better when they have their starting qb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT