ADVERTISEMENT

Our first Electric Vehicle delivered last month

How many miles are you getting between charges? Are you running the AC full time in the car?
Hey Soddy….My settings when I drive to Publix or for several miles, Sport Mode, AC has never been off, it’s set at 68 with average fan speed, Brakes set at Auto Recuperation.…so we gather back some power to the battery at braking. Right now….if I get a 100% charge, it’s estimating @ 250 miles….although I haven’t taken it all the way down to single digit state of charge percentages yet. No road trips yet…

Interesting article from Fox Business so not overly pro EV I'm guessing. However, it does illustrate the planning required and some of the obstacles still out there concerning EV's. If I could have a way to charge at home I would get one for local use. Not sure I would do a weekly hour long charging session just yet. I see folks hanging out a busy bee all the time waiting on their Tesla's to charge and they all say it takes way longer than advertised. The infrastructure required to support mass use of EV's will take years to build and once it does get built the price to charge will go up faster than gas prices this year.
If I get on a 150KW or a 350KW charger, I can go from 20% state of charge to 80% in about 20 minutes. Charging ramps down as the battery gets closer to a full charge. We get three years of free charging at EA, but it shows me the retail cost when I’m charging, right now it’s at 31 cents per KWh.
I’m not charging at home (yet) as we’re in a condo, but our association is contemplating putting EV chargers in every spot as an added amenity. Porsche provided all the cabling and connectors for at home charging, but I would need to get a 40/50 Amp breaker installed….I’m going to wait it out.

It also helps when your employer has charging stations. I recommend everyone push for those.

Reactions: FSUDoles
It also helps when your employer has charging stations. I recommend everyone push for those.
We had an employee request a gas station or free gas vouchers so they could commute to the office. The rational was that if a company put in charging stations for electric vehicles why not have fuel for other cars as well? Neither will happen but it was an interesting argument. I think once these EV's get wider use the "free" charging stations will quickly go away and the cost to charge will be comparable to gas prices.

If I get on a 150KW or a 350KW charger, I can go from 20% state of charge to 80% in about 20 minutes. Charging ramps down as the battery gets closer to a full charge. We get three years of free charging at EA, but it shows me the retail cost when I’m charging, right now it’s at 31 cents per KWh.
I’m not charging at home (yet) as we’re in a condo, but our association is contemplating putting EV chargers in every spot as an added amenity. Porsche provided all the cabling and connectors for at home charging, but I would need to get a 40/50 Amp breaker installed….I’m going to wait it out.
Another issue is going to be summer months. Right now in Texas they are running at peak demand. Which means they are almost at the point of rolling blackouts or brown outs. I would imagine during high demand these charging points would not be able to be used.

We had an employee request a gas station or free gas vouchers so they could commute to the office. The rational was that if a company put in charging stations for electric vehicles why not have fuel for other cars as well? Neither will happen but it was an interesting argument. I think once these EV's get wider use the "free" charging stations will quickly go away and the cost to charge will be comparable to gas prices.
My previous employer had charging stations that they put in the parking garages they built on campus. I think they knew that this area has a higher percentage of EVs, but once/if we start relying on certain businesses with community involvement to build their own stations, we will see a lot more pop up. That's an interesting request though, and there is some incentive for employees to switch if possible.

Another issue is going to be summer months. Right now in Texas they are running at peak demand. Which means they are almost at the point of rolling blackouts or brown outs. I would imagine during high demand these charging points would not be able to be used.
Geddy, good points, but so far here in South Florida, no issues (at least since early April). What’s nice is on the My Porsche App or the Electrify America App, you can see how many chargers are in use, although since I’m retired, I go at off times mid morning, mid afternoon, etc and there’s no one there…or perhaps a car or two...so I typically don’t look at the Apps.
On a side note, I do notice a lot of residences down here with EV charging hookups outside their homes, and what’s pretty cool is that you can set up timers to charge overnight when energy demand is down and the rates aren’t so high. Hopefully someday I’ll be able to plug in at home….but condos are condos.

Reactions: Random_John
Beautiful car. The color is very nice.

I am curious, when an EV runs out of power on a highway, what is the procedure to get it back running. Do they dispatch a generator? Do they tow it to a charging station? Is there a quick charge capacitor they can dispatch?
Tow truck to closest charging platform….if you run out of power, it’s on the driver, at least in this car, you’re given every tool imaginable to make it to the next charging station before you hit 0% charge. It’s like running out of gas…if you push it, you’ll probably pay. Thank you by the way….they call it cherry metallic, I prefer Garnet.

Tow truck to closest charging platform….if you run out of power, it’s on the driver, at least in this car, you’re given every tool imaginable to make it to the next charging station before you hit 0% charge. It’s like running out of gas…if you push it, you’ll probably pay. Thank you by the way….they call it cherry metallic, I prefer Garnet.
My brother has a Tesla. It is an amazing driving experience, truly amazing. He makes several long driving trips a year. The latest was from Virginia to Key Marathon. He has shown me the trip support that the apps give him, and I agree it is immense. But it not terribly convenient. However, the inconvenience is offset by the extraordinary driving experience.

Related to my question on the emergency charging is something I saw the other day which is inevitable. What will happen when 30% of the cars on the road are EV’s and an event happens where a winter storm shuts down a highway. Similar to the Virginia event a few years ago, or Atlanta 10-12 years ago. How will the interstates ever get cleared?

To answer my own question, I am sure that companies are working on a solution, but as yet there isn’t one.

Last edited:
My brother has a Tesla. It is an amazing driving experience, truly amazing. He makes several long driving trips a year. The latest was from Virginia to Key Marathon. He has shown me the trip support that the apps give him, and I agree it is immense. But it not terribly convenient. However, the inconvenience is offset by the extraordinary driving experience.

Related to my question on the emergency charging is something I saw the other day which is inevitable. What will happen when 30% of the cars on the road are EV’s and an event happens where a winter storm shuts down a highway. Similar to the Virginia event a few years ago, or Atlanta 10-12 years ago. How will the interstates ever get cleared?

To answer my own question, I am sure that companies are working on a solution, but as yet there isn’t one.
I’m not certain….to be perfectly honest, but perhaps something is in the works for a high speed temporary/mobile charging solution. When my car is idling, with air on….waiting for the Mrs. at a mall, etc….it uses very little energy.…but that’s far different from a multi hour freezing scenario.

You would have to ration when your vehicle is off or on and simply deal with the elements. That is not an optimal situation in extreme heat or cold. Can one charge these vehicles from a generator? I know it sounds ironic if not a bit funny of using a gas generator to charge a electric car but it should be possible to get enough of a charge to get a car to the nearest recharging station.

You would have to ration when your vehicle is off or on and simply deal with the elements. That is not an optimal situation in extreme heat or cold. Can one charge these vehicles from a generator? I know it sounds ironic if not a bit funny of using a gas generator to charge a electric car but it should be possible to get enough of a charge to get a car to the nearest recharging station.
Again referring to my brother and his Tesla. He plugged into our 240v cloths dryer plug to get an overnight charge. Plugging into a 110v outlet would take days to charge. According to my quick Google search an 8 hour charge on a 110v (like most generator’s) it would take 8 hours to charge enough for 40 miles.

Again referring to my brother and his Tesla. He plugged into our 240v cloths dryer plug to get an overnight charge. Plugging into a 110v outlet would take days to charge. According to my quick Google search an 8 hour charge on a 110v (like most generator’s) it would take 8 hours to charge enough for 40 miles.
You would have to use a 240 or bigger generator. I watched a short video of people testing if they can use a 110 generator and the Tesla would stop taking the charge over time and their results was very minimal.

I’m not certain….to be perfectly honest, but perhaps something is in the works for a high speed temporary/mobile charging solution. When my car is idling, with air on….waiting for the Mrs. at a mall, etc….it uses very little energy.…but that’s far different from a multi hour freezing scenario.
That's a good point about the cold. Batteries deplete rapidly as temps go down. I've had cell batteries go from 80% to 0 just by leaving them min the car for 30 minutes at 0 degrees. Extreme but that's what norther states are like in winter. I wonder how northern European countries address that?

You would have to use a 240 or bigger generator. I watched a short video of people testing if they can use a 110 generator and the Tesla would stop taking the charge over time and their results was very minimal.
You wouldn't get enough watts from a 110 outlet or generator. The amp draw is constant regardless of volts so it would take twice as long or more to get a portion of the charge.

I don't know if this is included with the EVs, but it would be a good idea for them to, if the technology is there, include a separate charging pack installed in a small compartment in the vehicle. Similar to how a spare tire is in the trunk. Again, this would depend on the technology being there, but it may allow enough mileage for people to get to a close by charging station.

Also, I don't know if this is already the case or not, but all EV manufacturers need to create adapters that allow people to be able to receive a charge from another person's vehicle. Similar to getting a jump, other people could stop by to help.

That's a good point about the cold. Batteries deplete rapidly as temps go down. I've had cell batteries go from 80% to 0 just by leaving them min the car for 30 minutes at 0 degrees. Extreme but that's what norther states are like in winter. I wonder how northern European countries address that?
Luckily, the technology is there that batteries can retain their charge despite the temp swings. Or, more correctly, do not lose their charge as fast. I understand it happened to you on this occasion, but it doesn't have to be an issue.

Batteries work less well in cold weather below freezing. Neighbor has a Tesla and I have talked to him about it.

You wouldn't get enough watts from a 110 outlet or generator. The amp draw is constant regardless of volts so it would take twice as long or more to get a portion of the charge.
No, it actually stopped charging after so many hours. They were able to add a few miles worth on a very long charge but the vehicle shut it down for some reason on the Tesla. People use trickle chargers on marine batteries during off season and not sure why Tesla would not allow a 110 charge for an extended period. The reason they were testing was in the case of a extended power outage and a situation where you could not charge from home which was something that I had not thought about.

Fascinating to read about the environmental realities of making and disposing of the batteries.
Eh, those issues have always been there. Its part of the great race to develop batteries that can be used for these "greener" initiatives. EVs, solar energy, etc.

Luckily, the technology is there that batteries can retain their charge despite the temp swings. Or, more correctly, do not lose their charge as fast. I understand it happened to you on this occasion, but it doesn't have to be an issue.
We tested lithium ion batteries of all sizes and applications for non commercial use and found performance to be degraded at lower temps. The larger car type batteries would keep for around 48 hours in sub freezing temps. They would also take longer to charge. This could be mitigated somewhat by adding warmers to the batteries but this also required the use of more power. Yes you can extend battery life in cold temps but its still an issue.

Lets say you park your Tesla in Minnesota on Friday at 60% charge and a blizzard hits with temps below zero. If you don't have a garage would your car have any juice?

We tested lithium ion batteries of all sizes and applications for non commercial use and found performance to be degraded at lower temps. The larger car type batteries would keep for around 48 hours in sub freezing temps. They would also take longer to charge. This could be mitigated somewhat by adding warmers to the batteries but this also required the use of more power. Yes you can extend battery life in cold temps but its still an issue.

Lets say you park your Tesla in Minnesota on Friday at 60% charge and a blizzard hits with temps below zero. If you don't have a garage would your car have any juice?
Exactly what my neighbor said. But, he does drive it all year round here in northern New England. Just have to be aware of degraded battery life the colder it gets. But, he has a 4 wheel drive gasoline powered truck for those snowstorm days.

Eh, those issues have always been there. Its part of the great race to develop batteries that can be used for these "greener" initiatives. EVs, solar energy, etc.
So in this case does the good (EV vehicles not using gas) outweigh the bad of driving a gas car? There are pros and cons on both sides but EV's come with their own set of issues like range, infrastructure, battery disposal and natural resources required to produce the batteries. And in the future the cost to the consumer to charge these vehicles will match the present price of gas. That's my main issue is getting a EV only to be paying the same to recharge but with a whole other set of issues. I've been considering a EV but still on the fence. Had a friend the other day trade one in cause it wasn't worth the hassle.

So in this case does the good (EV vehicles not using gas) outweigh the bad of driving a gas car? There are pros and cons on both sides but EV's come with their own set of issues like range, infrastructure, battery disposal and natural resources required to produce the batteries. And in the future the cost to the consumer to charge these vehicles will match the present price of gas. That's my main issue is getting a EV only to be paying the same to recharge but with a whole other set of issues. I've been considering a EV but still on the fence. Had a friend the other day trade one in cause it wasn't worth the hassle.
Most folks I know with one, have a gas powered second vehicle. I think the equation is somewhat connected to how electricity is produced in your area. Use coal powered electricity isn't gaining much on the environmental equation. We are mostly Nuclear and Hydro where I live, so moving from gas/diesel powered to non polluting electricity is a definite net gain.

I don't know enough about electrical systems in EVs to give a confident answer. In a conventional vehicle, yes, assuming there weren't already charging issues with the battery not topping off while the engine was previously running. But I can't say that I know about a Tesla.

I am aware of the pros and cons, but I never chose a side (good v. bad).

Most folks I know with one, have a gas powered second vehicle. I think the equation is somewhat connected to how electricity is produced in your area. Use coal powered electricity isn't gaining much on the environmental equation. We are mostly Nuclear and Hydro where I live, so moving from gas/diesel powered to non polluting electricity is a definite net gain.
OT:
Coal fire plants are being closed on a yearly basis and with no new nuclear plants being built we have increased our reliance of gas fired turbines(not a bad thing using gas). But with the recent spikes in natural gas prices and reducing the production of power, shortages and continued price increases are immanent. My brother-in-law is an engineer who works in emissions at TVA and I have been listening and watching this evolve for many years now. We need to be very careful and smart about decreasing supply of power while increasing demand for there is trouble on the horizon.

I’m not sure I agree about your future cost model, if you home charge, and time your charging overnight, I don’t see how we go from pennys per KWh today to the $5.00 plus (and worsening) and $6 plus for diesel per gallon prices being paid today. As far as public charging options, will there be a pursuit of profits by the new entrants in the game, absolutely, but I don’t see a future intersection of the two power sources, but hey, I’m totally a novice at this game, anything is possible.

OT:
Coal fire plants are being closed on a yearly basis and with no new nuclear plants being built we have increased our reliance of gas fired turbines(not a bad thing using gas). But with the recent spikes in natural gas prices and reducing the production of power, shortages and continued price increases are immanent. My brother-in-law is an engineer who works in emissions at TVA and I have been listening and watching this evolve for many years now. We need to be very careful and smart about decreasing supply of power while increasing demand for there is trouble on the horizon.
Yes the grid is an altogether new topic which is very interesting. I have participated in discussions with utilities all across the country and have visited to the National Laboratories in Idaho and Tennessee to try and understand what is being done here.

In short, nobody really knows how the grid is going to hold up with decentralized generation of power and bi-directional power movement.

Back to the charging discussion, the Idaho National Laboratory was working on an ultra fast level 4 charging when I was there. They were moving power so fast they required water cooled cables to keep the conductors from over heating.

OT:
Watching this for decades. France and Germany are interesting case studies. Germany has been aggressively closing nuclear plants making them more reliant on gas and oil from Russia. France is doing the opposite putting in $$$$ into Nuclear and planning to go on a spree of new plants. Since the Russian attack on Ukraine, France had cranked up their nuclear plants to max and has sent excess energy to other European countries including Germany. Germany has had to reopen some coal plants to cover the loss of Russian gas. Having been anti-nuclear for years, I changed my position about a decade ago. Technology advances, including micro-nuclear, make it clear that nuclear is the way to advance achieving both energy independence and lowering emissions. Combined with wind/solar/hydro it is the way of the future. The safety of nuclear power plants in this country is stellar, especially since the average age is 40 years old. We have built only 2 nuclear power plants in the last 30 years, both in Tennessee. Even within the environmental movement, the idea of more nuclear, once rejected out of hand, is gaining steam.

Gas is better than oil and way better than coal. But a combo of nuclear/renewables makes the most sense. Whether his can be done politically is another question.

I’m not sure I agree about your future cost model, if you home charge, and time your charging overnight, I don’t see how we go from pennys per KWh today to the $5.00 plus (and worsening) and $6 plus for diesel per gallon prices being paid today. As far as public charging options, will there be a pursuit of profits by the new entrants in the game, absolutely, but I don’t see a future intersection of the two power sources, but hey, I’m totally a novice at this game, anything is possible.
I should have said could/might instead of will. Point is that in a commercial market a company producing a good or service will charge what they think the consumer will pay. With gas as an option the price should stay low but as that scale tips one would think the price goes up.

Lets say a EV has a 300 mile range and uses 30Kwh per 100 miles. At .18 per Kwh you would only pay 16 bucks for a full charge. If the price goes up to .72 per Kwh you would be in the same price range as filling up a gas car. Now obviously a home charge would be less and not as likely to increase in price like commercial stations. The numbers are just pulled from google so they are not representing a particular vehicle or circumstance.

Watching this for decades. France and Germany are interesting case studies. Germany has been aggressively closing nuclear plants making them more reliant on gas and oil from Russia. France is doing the opposite putting in $$$$ into Nuclear and planning to go on a spree of new plants. Since the Russian attack on Ukraine, France had cranked up their nuclear plants to max and has sent excess energy to other European countries including Germany. Germany has had to reopen some coal plants to cover the loss of Russian gas. Having been anti-nuclear for years, I changed my position about a decade ago. Technology advances, including micro-nuclear, make it clear that nuclear is the way to advance achieving both energy independence and lowering emissions. Combined with wind/solar/hydro it is the way of the future. The safety of nuclear power plants in this country is stellar, especially since the average age is 40 years old. We have built only 2 nuclear power plants in the last 30 years, both in Tennessee. Even within the environmental movement, the idea of more nuclear, once rejected out of hand, is gaining steam.

Gas is better than oil and way better than coal. But a combo of nuclear/renewables makes the most sense. Whether his can be done politically is another question.
Germany really dug themselves into a hole with the nuclear thing.

I should have said could/might instead of will. Point is that in a commercial market a company producing a good or service will charge what they think the consumer will pay. With gas as an option the price should stay low but as that scale tips one would think the price goes up.

Lets say a EV has a 300 mile range and uses 30Kwh per 100 miles. At .18 per Kwh you would only pay 16 bucks for a full charge. If the price goes up to .72 per Kwh you would be in the same price range as filling up a gas car. Now obviously a home charge would be less and not as likely to increase in price like commercial stations. The numbers are just pulled from google so they are not representing a particular vehicle or circumstance.
10/4…makes total sense…supply and demand will certainly impact public charging….home charging is the wild card…I’m looking forward to that opportunity if/when it presents itself. You’ve done your homework, very impressed. I’m still learning…you’re helping.

Last edited:
I think once these EV's get wider use the "free" charging stations will quickly go away and the cost to charge will be comparable to gas prices.
To this I say maybe. I do not see any municipality giving up any financial gains to energy companies. I predict gov't agencies will tax the stations or charge per kilowatt like they do now. I just cannot see a scenario where a product that already has infrastructure that does not have refining or complicated delivery would cost as much as visiting a gas station.

Reactions: FSUDoles
To this I say maybe. I do not see any municipality giving up any financial gains to energy companies. I predict gov't agencies will tax the stations or charge per kilowatt like they do now. I just cannot see a scenario where a product that already has infrastructure that does not have refining or complicated delivery would cost as much as visiting a gas station.
I hope you’re correct my friend. I’m keeping this ride through 2025 (“free” charging, free included in the purchase price somewhere) for the first three years, but then I’m going to do some serious looking into the 2025 all electric Cayman, I miss my 981, so it would be the best of both worlds. The pics are out there and it looks amazing, totally impractical but amazing. 😬

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT