ADVERTISEMENT

Ozark Season 2 (Spoilers, or so I’m told)

I think it's ok, but it's kind of a lot of mechanics without much there there, to me. There's no sort of bigger picture, grand unifying theme to make it really interesting.

There are a couple directions they could go to flesh it out. I think the theme of the wife pretty much stepping into lead role is potentially really meaty, if they can deal with that well. You've got a premise based around the idea (and I'm being a little generous in even positing they have a bigger theme here to this point) that a guy like Marty is in his mind a "good guy" who is basically merely rather amoral. He was greedy sure, but he got in this mess not out of any desire for criminality for it's own sake, but mainly just as a way to take some shortcuts and not having a personal moral code against it. And everything he's done since is just "for his family."

Now the way it's setting up, Wendy is different. She's got larceny in her heart...she is really no different in nature than the cartel or the snells. Bateman's character at least THOUGHT he was, and moderated his actions accordingly. That sets up some really interesting scenarios, pitting them AGAINST the criminal factors, and not just navigating between them. It also could set up some very interesting interpersonal dynamics between husband and wife, or at least could have if they really had ever fleshed out that relationship very effectively in the first place, which they didn't.

I also think that there's rich material to be mined along the idea of Ruth being Marty's (or Wendy's) surrogate daughter...she is a more fitting daughter to them than Charlotte, and Marty was more of an appropriate dad to her than her own dad. To me, that's potentially really interesting. It's a little less so with her real father out of the picture, but Ruth is one of the few characters that's kind of interesting on it's own merits, and I found the Ruth/Marty faux-parental relationship the most intriguing meta-theme running throughout. I would have like to see them bring that to a head as a major theme of next season if they'd kept her father in play.

Lou, I fully agree with how you see Ruth in all this. I also think she's one of the best characters. She's trying to do the right thing (breaking the cycle of poverty, getting Wyatt on the right path, taking care of Three). Then there's Jonah who is going from the straight and narrow to a potentially criminal lifestyle (setting up off shore accounts to launder money). How do Marty and Wendy deal with these two?

Ruth is certainly one of the most interesting characters in the story. As an actor, she's been lucky to be on two quality shows in a short period -- The Americans (Kimmy) and Ozark.

I'd be interested in knowing what proportion the F-word is out of her total dialogue on Ozark. It's gotta be F-n high!

Yep, in the classic "prestige drama" anti-hero mold of the compelling, conflicted "bad guy" (Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Walter White, etc, etc), Ozark's got it, but it's not Marty, it's Ruth. At the end of the day, Marty still has never been much more than a sum of his actions...they really haven't done a good job of getting you inside his head.

There's a ton there to work with in Ruth, even as a supporting character so far...
- parental abandonment issues and conflicted relationship with her father
- smarter and more competent than anyone around her
- a female in a male world
- fierce commitment to Wyatt
- ruthlessness when necessary
- evolving goals and perspective

That is the kind of stuff the great TV characters are made of, and is mostly lacking in Marty. There's a little more in Wendy, but not a lot.

I mostly have thought about the potential of contrasting her with Charlotte, but good points in Jonah being her counterpart. Some good stuff there, her going from bad to...not quite as bad maybe, and him going from good to bad.

If they move Wendy into being more of the mover and shaker as the family becomes more players, and Marty is more reacting to Wendy, Ruth, his kids, etc, I think that might improve the show. And it kind of fits his character, as he would be going from under the thumb of the cartel to under the thumb of Wendy...could be interesting. I don't think they've really molded his character well enough to position him as a kingpin.

I found this interesting. Mentions some of the smaller details and nuances I did not pick up on.

Reactions: riseboi
Is it just me being a perv but I really wanna see someone bang the shit out of Ruth. Kinda cute tp trash with a sweet little ass. Am I alone here?

I'm guessing Ruth's prior contacts with boys and men haven't brought her much ecstasy; they may not have even been consensual. With her father out of the way, and with Marty being a sincere encourager of her intelligence and talents, maybe season 3 will also include a little warmth for her on the personal side?

Or maybe she'll just wind up dead.

I'm guessing Ruth's prior contacts with boys and men haven't brought her much ecstasy; they may not have even been consensual. With her father out of the way, and with Marty being a sincere encourager of her intelligence and talents, maybe season 3 will also include a little warmth for her on the personal side?

Or maybe she'll just wind up dead.

I think Marty/Ruth is much more interesting as a father/daughter thing than it could possibly be as a sex thing. Especially because he's already got a real daughter, and her a father.

I think Marty/Ruth is much more interesting as a father/daughter thing than it could possibly be as a sex thing. Especially because he's already got a real daughter, and her a father.

Not suggesting Ruth-Marty sex at all and agree it’s more child-parent between them but a much healthier relationship than what she had with her real dad. Even the crime requires brains and ingenuity.

Just binged all 10 episodes today. I thought it was solid. Really sets up an intriguing season 3 (Mob v. Cartel). I could have done without the Mason and Rachel story arcs. Just seemed like filler and the writers could have gotten the same result by focusing more on the other characters and their relationships with each other.
10 episodes in one day?! Good lord, man.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
10 episodes in one day?! Good lord, man.
I was in the zone that day and had the house to myself. Besides, I started the thread and at least needed to contribute to the discussion of the topic at hand. My personal best binge was the first 12 episodes of season 1 of 24. I got hooked on that show immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT