ADVERTISEMENT

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson under investigation

Seems like a check-the-box exercise: Organization goes through some purported “investigation” so that it can it can claim that it is fully sensitive to these issues, blah-blah-blah. Lots of businesses do this on a wide variety of issues: Basically it is a public roll call where you are required to raise your hand and announce your (alleged) commitment to the issue-of-the-day. If you don’t play along, some watchdog group will then drill into your non-participation. Easier and better to give them the lip service they want. Just being real here.

Sexual assault is obviously intolerable but the more subtle male-female interactions can be confusing.

For instance when I watch cheerleaders dancing am I sexually harassing them or are they sexually harassing me?

And why do I open a door for a lady and not a gentleman?

It's a minefield of biological imperative, societal norms, individual values and too often idiotic behavior.

Sexual assault is obviously intolerable but the more subtle male-female interactions can be confusing.

For instance when I watch cheerleaders dancing am I sexually harassing them or are they sexually harassing me?

And why do I open a door for a lady and not a gentleman?

It's a minefield of biological imperative, societal norms, individual values and too often idiotic behavior.

I'm not saying that I'm calling the absolute top of the market, but we're in the midst of the top I think.
I would agree with that but disagree with those predicting the total demise of the NFL. While the TV ratings are down some, they're still heads and shoulders above every other professional sports league. I do believe that most of the gloom and doomers are pushing an agenda by their position and attitude.

I would agree with that but disagree with those predicting the total demise of the NFL. While the TV ratings are down some, they're still heads and shoulders above every other professional sports league. I do believe that most of the gloom and doomers are pushing an agenda by their position and attitude.
It may not be a total demise, but it's certainly not headed in the right direction. What used to be fast-paced and hard hitting, is now moving at a snails pace due to all the penalties, replays, commercials, and often the poor quality of play. It's getting to where even RedZone channel is boring.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I know one of Richardson's business partners, who is a prominent businessman in the Rock Hill area of SC. Jerry's partner is married, but had the hots for a junior accountant in his business. He had her come in on Sundays and propositioned her relentlessly, even though she was married. She left that company and moved 100 miles away, and the guy showed up at her new job under strange pretenses, sent her flowers at her new job, etc. She eventually told him to stop, but she was afraid of what he could do to her career.

Reactions: RTM58
I'm definitely not predicting total demise...just that it has peaked.

Perhaps you weren't talking to me directly, but on that chance that you were, what agenda would I have to push?

It happens to be true that I, personally, don't watch the NFL, but I don't begrudge others that do or would. Nor do I have anything to gain by people tuning out (that I'm aware of).

Richardson announced that he's selling the team. He must have really screwed up bad.
They had already announced earlier this year that the team would be sold when Jerry died. He fired his son(s)? earlier, so it seems the family will no longer be involved with the team.

I know one of Richardson's business partners, who is a prominent businessman in the Rock Hill area of SC. Jerry's partner is married, but had the hots for a junior accountant in his business. He had her come in on Sundays and propositioned her relentlessly, even though she was married. She left that company and moved 100 miles away, and the guy showed up at her new job under strange pretenses, sent her flowers at her new job, etc. She eventually told him to stop, but she was afraid of what he could do to her career.
I don’t doubt that this the rule more than the exception for these rich powerful dudes.

Wait... so the guy that created Hardee's made lewd comments and authorized the use of the below to sell burgers? [insert shocked face]

charlotte-mckinney-at-encore-player-s-club-grand-opening-in-las-vegas-01-06-2016_1.jpg

Rich guys, actual rich guys, have plenty of options. Old rich guys make terrible decisions.....Once watched a nine crawl across a bar to get to a guy who casually mentioned he belonged to a local club in a story he was telling us. It was like chum in the water. It wasn't the first or last time I expect to see that.

Sounds like he will make a ton on the sale.

I'm definitely not predicting total demise...just that it has peaked.

Perhaps you weren't talking to me directly, but on that chance that you were, what agenda would I have to push?

It happens to be true that I, personally, don't watch the NFL, but I don't begrudge others that do or would. Nor do I have anything to gain by people tuning out (that I'm aware of).
If I could trade it, I'd be short football right now, both college and pro. It's at its peak, or reached it a couple years ago.

CTE and the 3+ hour, slow plodding format of the game being the two primary reasons.
Fewer kids are playing, which over time will lead to fewer fans. Add to that reduction in discretionary income that will only become more dramatic when a recession comes around.
The format is not suited for the digital age, like someone above said, even RedZone has gotten boring. People don't want to spend all day watching a 3+ hour game that condenses down to 15 mins of actual play. Many kids "watch" a days worth of football in 4-5 mins using Snapchat stories and the like.
Add to that oversaturation, CFB and NFL chew up 4 out of 7 nights with what often amounts to low quality games.

There are legit rules changes that could be made to make the sport more likely to succeed in the future, without dramatically changing the game, but the traditionalists and Sears-esque issue deniers will cry like babies about "wussification" if anyone actually tries to save the sport they themselves are suffocating.
  • Reduce NFL to 12 or 13 regular season games + playoff, college to 9 games + playoff,
  • reduce games to 12 minute quarters,
  • keep a running clock until the last two mins of the halves.
  • Cut out 40% of commercial breaks
  • superimpose commercials on the field/sidelines and run 5 sec commercial clips in a box between plays.
  • Simplify rules around catches, football moves, possession
  • Eliminate kickoffs or move them to the 40+ yard line (basically just to allow for onside kicks) - touchbacks come out to the 30yd line.

Last edited:
Oh and as for Jerry Richardson. Good riddance. He's still uber wealthy and will make out extremely well on his investment in the NFL, so I have trouble feeling any sympathy for him, esp considering what he's done.

I would imagine he won't be the only one pushed to give up his team because of things he's done or said. What is it they say about karma again?

If I could trade it, I'd be short football right now, both college and pro. It's at its peak, or reached it a couple years ago.

CTE and the 3+ hour, slow plodding format of the game being the two primary reasons.
Fewer kids are playing, which over time will lead to fewer fans. Add to that reduction in discretionary income that will only become more dramatic when a recession comes around.
The format is not suited for the digital age, like someone above said, even RedZone has gotten boring. People don't want to spend all day watching a 3+ hour game that condenses down to 15 mins of actual play. Many kids "watch" a days worth of football in 4-5 mins using Snapchat stories and the like.
Add to that oversaturation, CFB and NFL chew up 4 out of 7 nights with what often amounts to low quality games.

There are legit rules changes that could be made to make the sport more likely to succeed in the future, without dramatically changing the game, but the traditionalists and Sears-esque issue deniers will cry like babies about "wussification" if anyone actually tries to save the sport they themselves are suffocating.
  • Reduce NFL to 12 or 13 regular season games + playoff, college to 9 games + playoff,
  • reduce games to 12 minute quarters,
  • keep a running clock until the last two mins of the halves.
  • Cut out 40% of commercial breaks
  • superimpose commercials on the field/sidelines and run 5 sec commercial clips in a box between plays.
  • Simplify rules around catches, football moves, possession
  • Eliminate kickoffs or move them to the 40+ yard line (basically just to allow for onside kicks) - touchbacks come out to the 30yd line.
Thank God you aren't the commissioner.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Oh, that's another problem...they pay their commissioner $50 mil. I get that they're a multi-billion dollar business...but that doesn't exactly smack of fiduciary responsibility, or even common sense. You could find any number of people to do that job well for ~$1,000,000.

$50 mil...pfft

Yeah, yeah, their money...their rules. I get it.

But a fool and their money (or their investment value) are soon parted.

I appreciate a differing opinion, would love to know what you'd do to secure the future of the game in the face of a changing behaviors in the target demographic, technology and consumer spending trends, and CTE.

Each of my bullet points addresses one of more of the above while still leaving the core of the game as-is.

If your answer is "nothing" I'll have to assume you were previously the CEO of either Sears or Montgomery Wards.

Wait... so the guy that created Hardee's made lewd comments and authorized the use of the below to sell burgers? [insert shocked face]

charlotte-mckinney-at-encore-player-s-club-grand-opening-in-las-vegas-01-06-2016_1.jpg
Sorry, but everything after this post is like the teacher in Charlie Brown... "Waah wah waaah, wah wah waaah wah."

Oh, that's another problem...they pay their commissioner $50 mil. I get that they're a multi-billion dollar business...but that doesn't exactly smack of fiduciary responsibility, or even common sense. You could find any number of people to do that job well for ~$1,000,000.

$50 mil...pfft

Yeah, yeah, their money...their rules. I get it.

But a fool and their money (or their investment value) are soon parted.
I still enjoy watching the NFL, mostly because of gambling. What would I do? I'd stay out of it. Don't care enough about it either way to give it too much thought. While your proposed changes don't appeal to me, f there is a betting line I will watch the games.

I still enjoy watching the NFL, mostly because of gambling. What would I do? I'd stay out of it. Don't care enough about it either way to give it too much thought. While your proposed changes don't appeal to me, f there is a betting line I will watch the games.
Fair enough, if anything my proposed changes would make it so that you can watch more real game action per minute spent watching than you can under the current system, with a overall higher quality of play.
Additionally garbage games would be weeded out and replaced by a more competitive playoff round.
Competition during the playoff would be better thanks to a shorter season resulting in fewer injuries to key players, improving quality of play.
Players could have longer careers resulting in increased number of highly skilled and experienced players, also improving quality of play.

You're the winning in all of the above, unless you prefer betting on FSU-LA Monroe and Browns-Bears type games.

It's really going to suck for him to cash out for only a couple billion dollars. All hope is not lost though. He can put it in Bitcoin and turn that into some real money.

If you google; the NFL, ABC, CBS, NBC all are inventing new ways to justify charging more their declining product. In the era of social media nobody in strangulated TV markets are going bother watching a bad product.

NFL has a real problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT