ADVERTISEMENT

Papa John's Stadium?

He has the naming rights lol. Papa Johns the corporation has the sponsorship rights.

http://kycir.org/2017/05/18/the-details-on-that-papa-johns-cardinal-stadium-deal/
Just read through that.

UL put themselves in an exceptionally precarious situation with this lunatic.
Since I have no love for UL I hope he goes full-nutbag and forces them to rename it something asinine just to feed his own ego.

Simultaneously, I breathed a sigh of relief that FSU hasn't bungled this for Doak (one of the few things the admin hasn't bungled... yet). I could totally see us naively giving IMG naming rights and them turning around and selling it, without a second of vetting or any protective clauses, to some crazy disgraced millionaire's conspiracy theorist wife's floundering media operation.

Looks like its been renamed Cardinal Stadium. That didn't take very long.
will help you out here with the link:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...otball-stadium-name-amid-racial-slur-scandal/

the fallout from the John Schnatter scandal continued on Friday, when Louisvillepresident Neeli Bendapudi announced that Papa John's will no longer have the naming rights to Cardinal Stadium -- the home of Louisville's football team. The stadium will simply be known as Cardinal Stadium for the upcoming season.

Mark Ennis@MarkEnnis

· 1h

UofL President Neeli Bendapudi announces she has renamed the football stadium simply “Cardinal Stadium”. States she also has the support of the board of trustees for the move. pic.twitter.com/zs9nDFo1wx

Mark Ennis@MarkEnnis

Bendapudi says the decision was hers alone. She took input from others but it is her personal prerogative as president so she made it. Signage will be removed ASAP.

1:09 PM - Jul 13, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Schnatter, the founder of Papa John's Pizza and Louisville booster, resigned his position on the school's Board of Trustees on Wednesday after he admitted to using a racial slur on a conference call in May.

"In moments of crisis, the best communities find a way to come together," Bendapudi said during Friday's press conference. "Over the last 24 hours our community has been fractured by the comments made by former UofL trustee John Schnatter."

Thursday afternoon, wide receivers Jalen Smith and Seth Watkins called for the name to be changed on social media, and the school clearly shared the same sentiment. That came one day after Schnatter released his own statement on the matter after issuing his resignation.

"News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true," Schnatter said in a statement released Wednesday.

In addition to the football stadium, Schnatter's name will no longer be associated with Louisville's business school.

Louisville plays Alabama on Sept. 1 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando to open the 2018 season. Its first home game at the newly-renamed Cardinal Stadium is Sept. 8 vs. Indiana State.

Quite an interesting past couple of years for this school. If it weren't for bad luck, Louisville would have no luck at all.

Of course, they didn't have to hire Pitino and Petrino (for a 2nd time).

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
will help you out here with the link:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...otball-stadium-name-amid-racial-slur-scandal/

the fallout from the John Schnatter scandal continued on Friday, when Louisvillepresident Neeli Bendapudi announced that Papa John's will no longer have the naming rights to Cardinal Stadium -- the home of Louisville's football team. The stadium will simply be known as Cardinal Stadium for the upcoming season.

Mark Ennis@MarkEnnis

· 1h

UofL President Neeli Bendapudi announces she has renamed the football stadium simply “Cardinal Stadium”. States she also has the support of the board of trustees for the move. pic.twitter.com/zs9nDFo1wx

Mark Ennis@MarkEnnis

Bendapudi says the decision was hers alone. She took input from others but it is her personal prerogative as president so she made it. Signage will be removed ASAP.

1:09 PM - Jul 13, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Schnatter, the founder of Papa John's Pizza and Louisville booster, resigned his position on the school's Board of Trustees on Wednesday after he admitted to using a racial slur on a conference call in May.

"In moments of crisis, the best communities find a way to come together," Bendapudi said during Friday's press conference. "Over the last 24 hours our community has been fractured by the comments made by former UofL trustee John Schnatter."

Thursday afternoon, wide receivers Jalen Smith and Seth Watkins called for the name to be changed on social media, and the school clearly shared the same sentiment. That came one day after Schnatter released his own statement on the matter after issuing his resignation.

"News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true," Schnatter said in a statement released Wednesday.

In addition to the football stadium, Schnatter's name will no longer be associated with Louisville's business school.

Louisville plays Alabama on Sept. 1 at Camping World Stadium in Orlando to open the 2018 season. Its first home game at the newly-renamed Cardinal Stadium is Sept. 8 vs. Indiana State.
That's a lot of BS over nothing. Hopefully he never gives them another dime and they realize how stupid they are.

They're probably sitting on a mountain of unflattering photos from football weekends that they're willing to sell him for the exact sum of the refund.

I meant the next step in the virtue signaling parade.
But it's probably too inconvenient, I doubt they bring it up themselves.

That's a lot of BS over nothing. Hopefully he never gives them another dime and they realize how stupid they are.
Words have consequences. It's really as simple as that. The first time he publicly embarrassed the company with his statements, he had to step down as CEO. Louisville did nothing. The second time, he's forced to step down as the chairman of the board of directors. Louisville acted.
If his indiscretions were so bad that the company he founded distanced themselves from him, it's neither surprising nor BS that a public university did the same.

Words have consequences. It's really as simple as that. The first time he publicly embarrassed the company with his statements, he had to step down as CEO. Louisville did nothing. The second time, he's forced to step down as the chairman of the board of directors. Louisville acted.
If his indiscretions were so bad that the company he founded distanced themselves from him, it's neither surprising nor BS that a public university did the same.
He didn't actually do or say anything racist though.
That's why it's BS.

That's why it's BS.
He’s guilty of being an incredibly irresponsible, insensitive fool, who, lets face it, is PROBABLY also a racist or he wouldn’t have chosen the words he did. Defend him if you will. I think you’re fighting a lonely, poorly-thought out battle though.

At best, he’s one of the stupidest former CEO’s in the history of business, and PJ’s should be incredibly happy to be done w/him as their face.

What is your REAL dog in this fight though? Are you one of those people that wants to be able to use the N-word too...you know, since black people get to use it? Your protest doesn’t make any sense.

Last edited:
That's why it's BS.
His rant was in response to a question about his plan to demonstrate to the public that he wasn't a racist. While he didn't explicitly say he was racist, he obviously showed an unusual amount of comfort with throwing around slurs and making light of lynchings. Pretty bizarre given the context of the meeting. Seems like he may have been drunk or at the least is a buffoon, and he gave Papa John's a great excuse to toss him out and for Louisville to take the tacky name off of their stadium.

Last edited:
That's why it's BS.
Dude tried to blame lower pizza sales on black NFL players kneeling during the anthem and then mere months later is caught casually dropping the N word in a board conversation. Yeah, pretty sure he is not a fan of black people, though I am sure he thinks he is not racist.

He’s guilty of being an incredibly irresponsible, insensitive fool, who, lets face it, is PROBABLY also a racist or he wouldn’t have chosen the words he did. Defend him if you will. I think you’re fighting a lonely, poorly-thought out battle though.

At best, he’s one of the stupidest former CEO’s in the history of business, and PJ’s should be incredibly happy to be done w/him as their face.

What is your REAL dog in this fight though? Are you one of those people that wants to be able to use the N-word too...you know, since black people get to use it? Your protest doesn’t make any sense.
I'm just tired of the obnoxious PC mentality. In the context it was used the statement wasn't racist. He might be racist, but his use of the word in context was not period.

And your conjecture is ridiculous. Maybe that's how you feel, but not me.

I'm just tired of the obnoxious PC mentality. In the context it was used the statement wasn't racist. He might be racist, but his use of the word in context was not period.

And your conjecture is ridiculous. Maybe that's how you feel, but not me.
You protest on this particular topic A LOT.

One might even say “too much” if you were a lady.

I never understood why the ACC took in Louisville. Seemed like a school with little to offer—especially if you remove the cheating basketball program.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
The man admitted to using "inappropriate and hurtful language"...and it wasn't the first time for him. So where's the "obnoxious PC mentality" here?

Last edited:
Reactions: ericram and DFSNOLE
I think the Colonel Sanders things refers back to last year when he got into trouble discussing the player protests. I haven't seen anything specific about what he said in his latest faux pas, but I'll take him at his word when he says he's guilty of using inappropriate and hurtful language. And this latest conference call was apparently part of the sensitivity training he was going through as a result of his Colonel Sanders harangue. The man is either completely tone deaf, a stone drunk, or a closet bigot. None of these describe someone you want associated with your university.

KFC and Papa John's are both based in Louisville. With all the food crossovers this country has seen, how has there never been a fried chicken pizza???
KFC is owned by Yum! Brands, which also owns Pizza Hut (and Taco Bell), so doubt you'll ever see a KFC/PJ collaboration, but your point remains. Maybe a stuffed crust fried chicken chalupa?

I think the Colonel Sanders things refers back to last year when he got into trouble discussing the player protests. I haven't seen anything specific about what he said in his latest faux pas, but I'll take him at his word when he says he's guilty of using inappropriate and hurtful language. And this latest conference call was apparently part of the sensitivity training he was going through as a result of his Colonel Sanders harangue. The man is either completely tone deaf, a stone drunk, or a closet bigot. None of these describe someone you want associated with your university.
From what I understand; and haven't seen anything to the contrary, the Kentucky colonel comment is the one that this is all about.

His rant was in response to a question about his plan to demonstrate to the public that he wasn't a racist. While he didn't explicitly say he was racist, he obviously showed an unusual amount of comfort with throwing around slurs and making light of lynchings. Pretty bizarre given the context of the meeting. Seems like he may have been drunk or at the least is a buffoon, and he gave Papa John's a great excuse to toss him out and for Louisville to take the tacky name off of their stadium.

Sort of like just about every Quentin Tarantino movie or various songs. Is it not the ACLU's mantra, "I may disapprove of what you say but will defend your right to say it"? Are we all comfortable with militant actions who can so easily conjure up perceived intent into some sort of Ex Post Facto laws to justify the persecution and harm of an individual's liberties?

I am sure most would not like to defend this guy for it appears he is a real jerk. Nor do I prescribe in saying whatever you feel like at any given moment to infringe on anyone else's liberties. To me it appears the pizza owner was aware of what he said when he said it but was merely using it to contrast himself to another local business owner, jerk move in my opinion. Could he had made his point more eloquently? Based on his apologies, he would obviously say yes. Should that word, used in that context, have triggered such a response? Why is it so easy for us to defend and applaud the knee jerk reaction to the word he used? Is it not enough for us march to the tune of lost freedoms, are we compelled to beat the drum too.

Last edited:
Sort of like just about every Quentin Tarantino movie or various songs. Is it not the ACLU's mantra, "I may disapprove of what you say but will defend your right to say it"? Are we all comfortable with militant leftists like actions who can so easily conjure up perceived intent into some sort of Ex Post Facto laws to justify the persecution and harm of an individual's liberties?

I am sure most would not like too defend this guy for it appears he is a real jerk. Nor do I prescribe in saying whatever you feel like at any given moment to infringe on anyone else's liberties. To me it appears the pizza owner was aware of what he said when he said it but was merely using it to contrast himself to another local business owner, jerk move in my opinion. Could he had made his point more eloquently? Based on his apologies, he would obviously say yes. Should that word, used in that context, have triggered such a response? Why is it so easy for us to defend and applaud the knee jerk reaction to the word he used? Is it not enough for us march to the tune of lost freedoms, are we compelled to beat the drum too.
It's truly sad what our country and society has become. One can't ask the mob to think reasonably before grabbing their pitchforks without being vilified. Use to be the lemmings would just march themselves over the edge, but now they attack anyone that doesn't march with them.

Reactions: RangerNole
I simply DO NOT CARE and wont pretend to.

I didn't eat Papa John before, and I am not going to now. I surely don't care about peaceful kneeling protest, and I am quite aware that the offense of the moment doesn't mean anything.

I agree with Sinefied, if Twitter had to wait 10 days before a post, it woud die because no one gives a darn in a week,

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a reason it’s better to name things after dead people, not live ones.
Probably good advice, but as we are finding out more and more nowadays, even then if someone is looking to be offended they can go back and find something deemed evil by anyone and then we can destroy the dead person for those actions based the standard of the day.

Reactions: KitingHigh
Sort of like just about every Quentin Tarantino movie or various songs. Is it not the ACLU's mantra, "I may disapprove of what you say but will defend your right to say it"? Are we all comfortable with militant actions who can so easily conjure up perceived intent into some sort of Ex Post Facto laws to justify the persecution and harm of an individual's liberties?

I am sure most would not like to defend this guy for it appears he is a real jerk. Nor do I prescribe in saying whatever you feel like at any given moment to infringe on anyone else's liberties. To me it appears the pizza owner was aware of what he said when he said it but was merely using it to contrast himself to another local business owner, jerk move in my opinion. Could he had made his point more eloquently? Based on his apologies, he would obviously say yes. Should that word, used in that context, have triggered such a response? Why is it so easy for us to defend and applaud the knee jerk reaction to the word he used? Is it not enough for us march to the tune of lost freedoms, are we compelled to beat the drum too.
Very well said. My concern with this type of act now get details later attitude is what happens when the mob was wrong? In this case while I am not 100% certain what this guy did or didn't do; he does seem to have serious issues.

Reactions: KitingHigh
When it rains it pours...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/9f64...4cfa040/ss_'papa-john'-schnatter-evicted.html

'Papa John' Schnatter evicted from company headquarters in Louisville

“With respect to John H. Schnatter," the board of directors at Papa John’s says “Papa John” Schnatter will no longer have a work space at the company headquarters in the wake of his latest controversy. On Sunday, Papa John’s International, Inc. issued a press release stating that the company will be terminating a sublease agreement with Schnatter, which had allowed him the use of office space within the building.

Also of note, I grew up in Gritney Florida. We had a store in Westville where there was talk of how they used to get black folk off they train and lynch them. I have used this commentary in how far I came from my upbringing and how far removed new generations are from the percieved south. Interracial dating or openly gay is common is small panhandle towns,

My favoite place to eat in Blountstown Florida has an openly and in your face gay male owner.

I would like to know the context for the speak about the horrible past he referred to in regards to Papa John's.

Anyone that knows me knows that I would never support racism, but I can acknowledge that we live in a time where "racist" is the low hanging fruit of political agendas. If we don't want to discuss it and with to get the people behind us, let's just label it racist.

We should be appalled by racism. We should also be appalled for using it as a pawn because it weakens the horrendous truth when it occurs.

Apparently, Papa John is lawyering up. Here's the letter he wrote to the Board. He's better at making pizzas than he is at communicating.

Dear Fellow Board Member

I am writing because I believe it is important that you hear directly from me the facts and circumstances surrounding the events that were initially reported and mischaracterized in the July 11 Forbes story, "Papa John's Founder Used the 'N' word on Conference Call" and ultimately was carried in media across the country.

On May 14, Steve Richie, Mike Nettles, I and others in the company met with executives and staff of The Laundry Service, who shared their creative and strategy, at their offices in New York. As you know, we had been testing with significant success, my returning to the company's advertising. On May 22, at their strong suggestion, I participated in what The Laundry Service called "diversity media training." The idea was to prepare me for questions I might get as a result of my reappearance at NHRA on Saturday, May 26 in Chicago. (The Laundry Service, for those of you who don't know, is an advertising and marketing agency which is part of the Wasserman Media Group.) During and after that meeting, The Laundry Service leadership strongly urged that our company retain Kayne West as my co-spokesman in the television spots and other promotions. I told them that would not work because he uses the "N" word in his lyrics.

During this diversity media training, which covered a wide number of topics, I was asked whether I was racist. I, of course said no -- which is a truthful statement as those of you who know me well will attest and of course, if you felt otherwise you would not be sitting on the Papa John Board. I was asked if I was not racist, then why did I say what I did about the NFL situation? I said if you look at what I said, it was in no way racist. (The fact is, we completely mishandled the NFL situation from a public relations standpoint -both the Board of Directors and company leadership.) I then said something on the order of, Colonel Sanders used the word "N," (I actually used the word,) that I would never use that word and Papa John's doesn't use that word. Earlier, I gave an example of a scarring experience I read about in Texas when I was growing up which further cemented my existing abhorrence of racism. The thought of this situation to this day sickens me. Let me be very clear: I never used the "N" word in that meeting as a racial epithet, nor would I ever.

I have talked to a Papa John's employee who was in that room with me who confirmed my recollection of these events.

The next day, May 23, the company made the decision -- not me -- to fire the Laundry Service, with their last day being July 2. We owed them approximately $1.3 million. Of course, we said we would pay them what was owed, but they said they wanted $6 million because they claimed some of their people had been offended by what I had said. Moreover, one of their attorneys said they would conduct a smear campaign against the company and me unless we paid them what he was asking for. Unfortunately, the company gave in to this extortion attempt and offered them $2.5 million or roughly $1.2 million more than they were owed.

On July 10, we got a call from the Forbes reporter who wrote the above-referenced story. The reporter gave me 15 minutes to give him our comments and said he then was publishing the story. It published the next day. Please be assured, I am going to get the facts of this situation out, but we want to make sure we do it correctly.

The Board asked me to step down as chairman without apparently doing any investigation. I agreed, though today I believe it was a mistake to do so. I have checked with corporate governance experts who tell me that this was not a proper action by the Board. At the last meeting, a few of you raised the issue of whether I should step down as a director. Once again, those individuals were acting on rumor and innuendo, without any investigation—let alone a third-party investigation of the facts. And once again, the corporate governance experts with whom I consulted said this is not the proper action of either a director or the board.

I am confident that an examination of the facts will bear out what I have written in this letter and show that once again our company has demonstrated that it does not know how to handle a crisis based on misinformation. I will not allow either my good name or the good name of the company I founded and love to be unfairly tainted.

John

Apparently, Papa John is lawyering up. Here's the letter he wrote to the Board. He's better at making pizzas than he is at communicating.

Dear Fellow Board Member

I am writing because I believe it is important that you hear directly from me the facts and circumstances surrounding the events that were initially reported and mischaracterized in the July 11 Forbes story, "Papa John's Founder Used the 'N' word on Conference Call" and ultimately was carried in media across the country.

On May 14, Steve Richie, Mike Nettles, I and others in the company met with executives and staff of The Laundry Service, who shared their creative and strategy, at their offices in New York. As you know, we had been testing with significant success, my returning to the company's advertising. On May 22, at their strong suggestion, I participated in what The Laundry Service called "diversity media training." The idea was to prepare me for questions I might get as a result of my reappearance at NHRA on Saturday, May 26 in Chicago. (The Laundry Service, for those of you who don't know, is an advertising and marketing agency which is part of the Wasserman Media Group.) During and after that meeting, The Laundry Service leadership strongly urged that our company retain Kayne West as my co-spokesman in the television spots and other promotions. I told them that would not work because he uses the "N" word in his lyrics.

During this diversity media training, which covered a wide number of topics, I was asked whether I was racist. I, of course said no -- which is a truthful statement as those of you who know me well will attest and of course, if you felt otherwise you would not be sitting on the Papa John Board. I was asked if I was not racist, then why did I say what I did about the NFL situation? I said if you look at what I said, it was in no way racist. (The fact is, we completely mishandled the NFL situation from a public relations standpoint -both the Board of Directors and company leadership.) I then said something on the order of, Colonel Sanders used the word "N," (I actually used the word,) that I would never use that word and Papa John's doesn't use that word. Earlier, I gave an example of a scarring experience I read about in Texas when I was growing up which further cemented my existing abhorrence of racism. The thought of this situation to this day sickens me. Let me be very clear: I never used the "N" word in that meeting as a racial epithet, nor would I ever.

I have talked to a Papa John's employee who was in that room with me who confirmed my recollection of these events.

The next day, May 23, the company made the decision -- not me -- to fire the Laundry Service, with their last day being July 2. We owed them approximately $1.3 million. Of course, we said we would pay them what was owed, but they said they wanted $6 million because they claimed some of their people had been offended by what I had said. Moreover, one of their attorneys said they would conduct a smear campaign against the company and me unless we paid them what he was asking for. Unfortunately, the company gave in to this extortion attempt and offered them $2.5 million or roughly $1.2 million more than they were owed.

On July 10, we got a call from the Forbes reporter who wrote the above-referenced story. The reporter gave me 15 minutes to give him our comments and said he then was publishing the story. It published the next day. Please be assured, I am going to get the facts of this situation out, but we want to make sure we do it correctly.

The Board asked me to step down as chairman without apparently doing any investigation. I agreed, though today I believe it was a mistake to do so. I have checked with corporate governance experts who tell me that this was not a proper action by the Board. At the last meeting, a few of you raised the issue of whether I should step down as a director. Once again, those individuals were acting on rumor and innuendo, without any investigation—let alone a third-party investigation of the facts. And once again, the corporate governance experts with whom I consulted said this is not the proper action of either a director or the board.

I am confident that an examination of the facts will bear out what I have written in this letter and show that once again our company has demonstrated that it does not know how to handle a crisis based on misinformation. I will not allow either my good name or the good name of the company I founded and love to be unfairly tainted.

John
Interesting, again I wasn't there so who knows. If his stance on the national anthem issue in the NFL is being used as an example for being racists that seems kind of weak. Who knows if we ever get the truth or facts. At this point he is deemed guilty by enough of the population and he will likely not get his reputation back.

He is free to use whatever words he likes - he has those liberties. He isn't being put in jail.

However, he is not free from the consequence and interpretation of those words from other people and entities who are also free to distance themselves from figures they find unbecoming of their brand.

Schnatter is free to say what he wants - his rights weren't infringed one bit.
PJ's and UL is free to respond as they see fit - their rights weren't infringed either.

Seems all good to me.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT