ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 12 The WGC Dell Match Play ( Wed Start)

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Rickie_Rory%20847.jpg
    (Photo by Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images)
Austin, Texas –With the start of the World Golf Championships-Dell Match Play nearly here, officials today announced that defending champion Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler, and Branden Grace will be joined by World Golf Hall of Famers and Austin natives Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw, University of Texas head football coach Charlie Strong and former UT star QB Colt McCoy with Austin resident Andy Roddick serving as the emcee of the event as the selection of the groupings for the Dell Match Play is broadcast in front of a live audience on Golf Channel. The Dell Match Play Bracket Special will be broadcast live from the heart of Austin at the iconic Paramount Theatre on Monday, March 21, airing from 6-8 p.m. CDT to kickoff tournament week.

Tickets remain available for the Dell Match Play Bracket Special as the top seed for each of the 16 four-player groups will be filled by the top 16 players in order of their position in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR). Subsequently, the remaining three players in each group will be determined by a blind draw from three separate pools based on each player’s overall standing in the OWGR. This blind draw will round out the 16, four-man groups for the first three rounds as the world’s best golfers take center stage at Austin Country Club. Think of this event as a mix between the NFL draft and the March Madness bracket selection show.

Under the guidance of the PGA TOUR competitions officials, the two-hour selection show will televise the draw, analyze the groups and feature live interviews from Fowler, McIlroy and Grace at the theatre for comments and reaction. As the show progresses, completed groups will be posted live to PGATOUR.COM and fans will be able to follow analysis and commentary throughout the draw. Roddick will guide the theatre audience through each commercial break with prizes including player autographed memorabilia, Dell Match Play merchandise, Golf Channel merchandise and much more.

Roddick, a 32-time winner and former ATP World No. 1, has managed to make an even bigger impact off the court.Roddick was recognized in 2005 for his community involvement with the prestigious Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award, and again in 2007 with the Arthur Ashe Leadership Award by the Arthur Ashe Institute for Urban Health. In 2009, Andy followed this up by receiving the Heineken Star Award for achievements in the fields of athletics and philanthropy.

He founded the Andy Roddick Foundation at the age of 18, with the goal of developing and inspiring young people to be their best selves now and in the future. Now based in Austin, Texas, the Foundation mission is to work with the community to expand opportunities for young people to learn, thrive, and succeed by supporting high-quality programming outside the classroom through after-school and summer learning programs.Tickets to the show are currently on sale with all proceeds set to benefit the Paramount Academy for the Arts through the Austin Theatre Alliance.

Tickets vary in price with $20, $50 and $100 options and can be purchased at www.DellMatchPlay.com/bracketspecial or by calling (512) 474-1221. The $100 ticket includes a one-hour pre-event reception with cocktails, food and live music in the lobby of the adjacent State Theatre.In addition to the live show taking place at Paramount Theatre, McIlroy, Fowler, Grace, Kite and Crenshaw will also be participating in pre-tournament interviews for all media in a Dell Match Play interview area at the adjacent State Theatre. Media should plan on attending in order to get pre-tournament sound and footage from many of the event’s biggest names. Media interested in attending this event will need to have a Dell Match Play media credential to park and gain admittance for coverage. Credential requests are currently being taken at www.PGATOURMedia.com.

The Paramount Academy for the Arts provides programs that focus on the youth of Central Texas, including active partnerships with more than 100 schools and 40 non-profits throughout the region, serving approximately 22,000 children annually. The Paramount Academy for the Arts aims to integrate the arts across all curriculum, with a goal to raise creative, empathetic, literate and collaborative thinkers in Central Texas schools.

Support of the Paramount Academy for the Arts helps to provide programming to children across Austin, regardless of their background. Support to the academy also helps provide:

• Scholarships for kids to attend our Summer Theatre Camps who are unable to afford it;
• Employment opportunities for high school students in our Youth Theatre Company
• Title I fourth-grade classrooms with STEM Through the Arts program, a semester-long, arts-based science and math residency;
• Title I third-grade classrooms with Literacy to Life, an eight-week, drama-based creative writing residency that culminates in live, theatrical performances of the students' written work.

Below is an example of how the seeding process would work if Dell Match Play Bracket Special were held today.
No. 1-ranked Jordan Spieth would be the No. 1 seed in the tournament given his standing in the OWGR. He would be the No. 1 seed in group 1.

The final three spots in his group would be randomly drawn from the pools below.
• Pool B – Players seeded 17-32
• Pool C – Players seeded 33-48
• Pool D – Players seeded 49-64

Group 1 examplePlayer A – Jordan Spieth (Ranked No. 1)
Player B – Matt Kuchar (Ranked No. 28)
Player C – Martin Kaymer (Ranked No. 42)
Player D – Lee Westwood (Ranked No. 63)

For more information about the Dell Match Play, visit www.WorldGolfChampionships.com or follow the tournament social accounts on Facebook (facebook.com/dellmatchplay), Twitter (@DellMatchPlay) and Instagram (@DellMatchPlay).

The Dell Match Play has generated more than $15 million for charity since its inception, part of the more than $50 million raised for global charities since the advent of the World Golf Championships in 1999. For more information, visitwww.WorldGolfChampionships.com.

For this event , we will have a Wednesday start, and the bracket will be released on Monday which will be posted as soon as released...
Please make yourself aware of brackets and times as this tournament differs from others and lockout time is as of first match on the 23rd.

congratulations to DFS, two in a row, 2015 champ making a charge

Leader%20through%20Palmer_zpsuwqj5fch.png

Just a FYI, the Golf Channel is having their "Bracket Special" Monday from 6 to 8 est

Congrats DFS! Frankly I have no idea how to pick this week with the "new" format. Should i just go who with I think the best 4 will be this week? (I used to pick the one I thought would win each bracket.)

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Dang thought I had it last week...nice work DFS!

Jason Day
Rickie Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Adam Scott

Congrats DFS! Frankly I have no idea how to pick this week with the "new" format. Should i just go who with I think the best 4 will be this week? (I used to pick the one I thought would win each bracket.)

I've always hated trying to pick for this damn event, and with the new format it'll be even worse. I'm considering just picking four guys that are in the same grouping - that way I'm guaranteed to have a guy survive to the first round of match play.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Well, the infamous Lizards jinx is alive and well! Day hobbled off the course after today's win with a back injury.

Well, the infamous Lizards jinx is alive and well! Day hobbled off the course after today's win with a back injury.
GROUP 2

2. Jason Day (Australia) vs. 38. Thongchai Jaidee (Thailand), 2:20 p.m. local
25. Paul Casey (England) vs. 64. Graeme McDowell (N. Ireland), 2:30 p.m. local

Two Presidents Cup teammates and two Ryder Cup teammates will face off Thursday in Group 2. Day (1-0) and Jaidee (1-0) both won their opening match, but Day injured his back during his victory. He is expected to play Thursday, though he would be allowed to concede his Thursday match and play Friday. Casey (0-1) and McDowell (0-1) are in a must-win situation. McDowell was 2 up after four holes against Day, but couldn’t keep the lead.

All that advice from Tiger is rubbing off on him. Win, then act hurt to get the sympathy vote...

I see Martin Kaymer is down 7 thru 11 (to Zach Johnson). He still must be recovering from me picking him a couple of weeks ago. :confused:

Will be rooting hard for B Koepka tomorrow to eliminate that stinkin' gator.

See ya lata, gata!! :)

Not sure if I'm exactly crazy about this playoff format. If there's a tie and one player has beaten another (Kirk over Grace, for instance) during round robin play, I think he should be the winner.

Last edited:
I see Berger w/d b/c of that wrist. Maybe he will take the drop next time. Scissors beats rock, rock beats golf club.

How does the FedEx Cup points work this week under this format? Every player earn some with the amount going up with the record in group play and wins in the knockout rounds?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT