ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 12 The WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play (Wednesday Start)

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
FirstLookDustinJohnson-847.jpg

World No.1 Dustin Johnson defends his crown as the PGA TOUR returns to Austin for its annual bracketology week, as FedExCup titleholder Justin Thomas and two-time Match Play king Jason Day head the challenge from a wealth of marquee names.

Day is among five former champions in the field, joined by Rory McIlroy (2015), Matt Kuchar (2013) and Ian Poulter (2010). Jon Rahm, who took Johnson to the 18th hole as a Match Play rookie, is also back for a second bite of the apple.

FIELD NOTES: Masters titleholder Sergio Garcia is set for his first start since becoming a father. His opening match comes exactly one week after welcoming daughter Azalea Adele Garcia into the world. … In all, Austin CC greets 59 of the world’s top 64 who qualified in the first pass. … Brooks Koepka continues to rest a wrist injury, while three others among the world’s top 15 opted to join him on the sideline: Justin Rose, Rickie Fowler and Henrik Stenson. Adam Scott is the other absentee. … Moving into the lineup are Kevin Na, Charles Howell III, Joost Luiten, Keegan Bradley and Luke List. … Adam Hadwin, who skipped last year’s event because it conflicted with his wedding, is one of 14 players set for their WGC Match Play debuts. For James Hahn and Australia’s Cameron Smith, it’s their first WGC start of any kind. … World rankings will determine the 16 top seeds, with blind draws to fill each group from pools of players seeded Nos. 17-32, Nos. 33-48 and the remainder. The draws will be televised Monday night.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/wgc-dell-technologies-match-play/field.html

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 550 points.

STORYLINES: Three entrants return to action seeking to win in back-to-back starts: Thomas (Honda Classic), Phil Mickelson (WGC-Mexico) and Paul Casey (Valspar Championship). … Day seeks his third WGC Match Play title in five editions, to go with 2016 in Austin and 2014 in Arizona. He owns a 21-7 record in matches played, but went only six holes last year before exiting to be alongside his mother as she underwent cancer treatment. … Johnson, who made the Match Play his third straight win last year, owns four top-10s since the calendar turned but just one victory. … Garcia and Poulter – both Ryder Cup virtuosos – can surpass Tiger Woods for most career matches if either makes the semifinals. Both have 37 matches on their ledger; Woods has played 43. … In a statistical anomaly, no matches went to extra holes last year.

COURSE: Austin Country Club, 7,108 yards, par 71. Nestled next to Lake Austin, Pete Dye’s 1984 design has proven a worthy Match Play host in its two editions. The layout features two distinctly different nines – a front nine on higher ground and typical of the surrounding Texas hill country, followed by a “lowlands” nine alongside Lake Austin that offers a scenic backdrop as matches complete. Austin CC dates back to 1899, believed to be the oldest golf club in Texas, relocating twice before occupying its current site. Austin was the original venue for the Legends of Golf from 1978-94; the city later hosted another PGA TOUR Champions stop from 2003-09.

LARGEST MARGIN OF VICTORY: 9 & 8, Tiger Woods def. Stephen Ames (1st round, 2006 at La Costa Resort & Spa).

LONGEST MATCH: 26 holes, Mike Weir def. Loren Roberts (1st round, 2003 at La Costa), Scott Verplank def. Lee Westwood (1st round, 2006 at La Costa).

LAST YEAR: Johnson became the first man to capture all four World Golf Championships, defeating Rahm 1-up in the final to cap off back-to-back-to-back wins in a six-week stretch. Johnson never fell behind in any match, playing 112 holes on the week, though Rahm pushed him the distance in the final. Facing a 4-down deficit, the Spaniard drove the green at No.13 to start a run of three birdies in a four-hole burst. They matched pars at No.17, and Rahm watched his drive 356-yard 18th run through the green. His delicate chip down the slope checked up short of its target, resulting in par, while Johnson’s chip from just short of the green stopped 30 inches away to seal the victory.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Wednesday-Friday, 2-8 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (GC), 2-6 p.m. (NBC). Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. (GC), 3-7 p.m. (NBC). (Golf Channel / NBC Sports LiveExtra simulcast stream)

PGA TOUR LIVE:
Wednesday-Friday, 10:15 a.m.-4 p.m. ET (featured groups), 4-8 p.m. (featured holes).

RADIO: Wednesday-Friday, 2-8 p.m. ET. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

In the PGSF last weeks winner @NoleLizards stretches his overall lead

Leader%20thru%20Arnold%2018_zpsejisvu3a.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Crap. I gave the Ouija a day off, not realizing the Wednesday start. Oh well, guess I'll wing it myself.

Patrick Cantlay
Jon Rahm
Xander Schauffle
Jordan Spieth

Rory's taking a dump out on the course so far today. Already 5 down through 10 holes. Sad!

Last edited:
Rory's taking a dump out on the course so far today. He's already 4 down through 9 holes. Sad!

He's 5 down through 10 now. I was skeptical about his ability to maintain momentum this weekend and had actually picked Justin Rose originally...before realizing that the latter wasn't participating for some reason.

Reactions: Bobcat07
He's 5 down through 10 now. I was skeptical about his ability to maintain momentum this weekend and had actually picked Justin Rose originally...before realizing that the latter wasn't participating for some reason.
Honestly I'm still skeptical about him winning the Masters. If the conditions are poor the whole tournament, then I think that's the only way he'll win one. He's backdoored his way into a lot of good finishes at Augusta.

Reactions: NoleLizards

Yeah well, Rory wasn't participating today for some reason, either. o_O

Stupid Weds start, not sure if this is in in time...

DJ
Day
Casey
Garcia

sorry fsUTampa, you missed first tee by about 20 minutes,
the good news though is your 2 rollovers that are playing went 2-0

Last edited:
Reactions: fsUTampa
Just for you @NoleinATL

Everyone’s Talking About Tiger, But Phil Mickelson Is Playing The Best Golf Of His Career
By Josh Planos

The entirety of the golf-watching internet has spent a couple of recent Sundays engrossed in a 40-something golfer whose career peaked a decade ago. But while Tiger Woods has consumed all of the oxygen in the room, the game’s other 40-something blast from the past, Phil Mickelson, is quietly playing some of the best golf of his professional career.

That Mickelson, at the well-seasoned age of 47, is entirely overlooked thanks to his enigmatic rival is almost too fitting; it’s been happening for two decades.

“He’s always one-upped me in my career, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he came out this week and won,” Mickelson said of Woods earlier this month. “Just to one-up me again.”

Lefty stands at No. 18 in the World Golf Rankings, where the average age of the players ahead of him is 30.7. He is No. 3 in the FedExCup standings, where the average age of the players ahead of him is 28. He has logged five top-10 finishes in eight starts this season; only 31-year-old Brian Harman, who has played in 10 events, has more.

At the WGC-Mexico Championship in early March, Mickelson beat Justin Thomas — the No. 2 golfer in the world, who is young enough to be Mickelson’s son — in a playoff. It was Mickelson’s 43rd professional win and his first since taking the British Open at Muirfield in 2013.

It was also a continuation of peak performance this season from the avid gamesman. Entering this week’s WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, Mickelson has finished no worse than tied for sixth at four consecutive tournaments. With an average finish of 3.5 over his past four appearances, Mickelson is currently riding the best four-event stretch of his entire career.

Excluding unofficial events, match play and team events.

He’s placed in the top 15 in six of the eight tournaments this year, putting his average tournament finish this season on par with the best seasons of his career.

<snip>

As many a grandfather has implored over the years, golf is a sport people can play virtually their entire lives. But performance obviously diminishes over time — especially at the highest level the sport has to offer. There’s a senior tour for a reason, after all.

So how, then, is Mickelson turning back the clock this season as the old-timer in a sea of youths?

“There’s a number of areas in my game that, if I look back 10, 15 years ago, I feel like I’m significantly better,” Mickelson said earlier this month on the Dan Patrick Show. “Certainly, I’ve gotten a ton better at putting.”

This is very true. Only Jason Day (1.39) is averaging more strokes gainedwith the putter than Mickelson (1.08), who leads the tour in the percentage of holes with only one putt (48.8 percent), the average number of putts per round (27), the percentage of holes with a birdie or better (41.3 percent)On holes in which the player hit the green in regulation and overall putting average (1.5 putts per hole).

The rest here... https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...elson-is-playing-the-best-golf-of-his-career/

Reactions: NoleinATL
Its hard to believe Phil is 47. I know there are the rumors of his personality being fake, but the time I met him at the Houston Open he was very nice and made time to talk/sign autographs after not his best round. Would be great to see a Sunday finish at the Masters with Phil, Spieth, Rickie, Tiger (I know I might be in minority here), Justin Thomas and DJ at the top of the leaderboard. I'm sure CBS wouldn't mind this either.

Given Tiger's troubles with the driver, if I am Taylor Made, I am not sure I would want Tiger as the spokesman in that ad for the twist face driver.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT