ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 24 The US Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
OpenTrophy847.jpg

• COURSE: Erin Hills, 7,693 yards, par 72. Carved from dramatically rolling farmland 35 miles northwest of Milwaukee, Erin Hills opened in 2006 and becomes the second new addition to the Open’s host roster in three years. The design trio of Michael Hurdzan, Dana Fry and Golf Digest senior editor Ron Whitten took a minimalist approach, making use of the contours of Wisconsin’s Kettle Moraine to create a prairie-style layout with almost no trees. A mix of dunes, fescue grasses and penal bunkers can make Erin Hills feel like an Irish links when the wind is up. And yet, it will enter Open annals as the event’s second-longest venue – just two yards behind Chambers Bay in 2015. Erin Hills was host of the 2011 U.S. Amateur, won by Kelly Kraft, also staging the 2008 U.S. Women’s Amateur Public Links.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points.

• CHARITY: The U.S. Golf Association has provided more than $67 million in grants over the past 20 years to organizations that serve golf at the grass-roots level. Among the recipients are The First Tee, LPGA-USGA Girls Golf, Special Olympics, PGA Junior League Golf and National Alliance for Accessible Golf.

• FIELD WATCH: World No.1 Dustin Johnson, whose Oakmont breakthrough last year was the first of six wins in the past 52 weeks, is joined by 2015 winner Jordan Spieth and Masters champ Sergio Garcia atop a lineup expected to feature 58 of the top 60 in the world rankings. … Ryan Moore is one exception, sidelined for the past month with a shoulder injury. Phil Mickelson, meantime, figures to miss to attend his firstborn’s high school graduation. … Six slots remain unfilled for players who move into the world top 60 by Monday and haven’t already qualified. Chris Wood, now No.60 after placing second at last week’s European Tour stop, is likely to get one. … A total of 14 amateurs are in the field, up three from last year’s tally.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 268, Rory McIlroy (2011 at Congressional CC).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 63, Johnny Miller (4th round, 1973 at Oakmont), Tom Weiskopf (1st round, 1980 at Baltusrol), Jack Nicklaus (1st round, 1980 at Baltusrol), Vijay Singh (2nd round, 2003 at Olympia Fields).

• LAST YEAR: Johnson finally lifted his first major title, capping a bizarre Sunday in which he played his final seven holes under a penalty cloud only to render it moot with a three-shot victory. Trailing Shane Lowry by four shots to start the final day, Johnson erased the deficit with a front-nine 33. But intrigue was brewing back at the fifth green, where Johnson had faced a 6-foot par putt and backed off after a few practice strokes. He told an official the ball moved, saying he did nothing to make it move, and no penalty was assessed. But a video review raised doubt, and officials met Johnson on the 12th tee to say they needed to meet after his round. Social media backlash was instant, with TOUR players strongly voicing support for Johnson. A penalty eventually was assessed, but it made no difference after Johnson shot even-par on the back nine while Lowry and others stumbled. Johnson finished at 4-under 276 with Lowry, Jim Furyk and Scott Piercy sharing second.

• STORYLINES: Johnson, with three wins in 2017 before being derailed by a slip-and-fall injury the day before the Masters, is favored to become the first man to win back-to-back Opens since Curtis Strange in 1988-89. Until missing the cut at the Memorial Tournament, he hadn’t finished outside the top 15 since January. … World No.2 Rory McIlroy, the 2011 champion, tees it up for the first time since suffering a recurrence of a rib injury at THE PLAYERS Championship. He was 35th at TPC Sawgrass, after placing seventh at the Masters. … Mickelson, lacking an Open win to complete a career Grand Slam, will spend Thursday morning at daughter Amanda’s graduation – but may fly to Erin Hills if he gets a late tee time and weather delays the opening round.

• SHORT CHIPS: Just six defending Open champions since 1991 have placed higher than 30th in their title defense. Tiger Woods did it three times, with a best of sixth at Bethpage in 2009, joined by Retief Goosen (11th, 2005). Graeme McDowell (14th, 2011) and Justin Rose (12th, 2014). … The Open will have neither the winner nor runner-up from the 2011 U.S. Amateur that was held at Erin Hills. Both Kelly Kraft and Patrick Cantlay came up short in sectional qualifying.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. ET (FOX Sports 1), 6-9 p.m. (FOX). Saturday, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. (FOX). Sunday, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. (FOX).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: None.

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-8 p.m. ET; Saturday, noon-7 p.m.; Sunday, noon-8 p.m. (SiriusXM PGA TOUR Radio and FOX Sports on SiriusXM).

Here is the field link

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/us-open/field.html

The PGSF arrives at Erin Hills for the years second major, enjoy a great week of golf

congratulations to last weeks winner DFS and BFT

Bobcat still going strong
leader%20thru%20st%20jude_zpst40g4eju.png

Good Luck to everyone

Going Nole heavy...

Daniel Berger
Rickie Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Brooks Koepka

Day, Mcilroy, Rose, Spieth.

You've been forewarned not to pick any of these guys. Two will miss the cut, one will either WD or DQ, the survivor will finish outside of the top 50.

Fowler out early 6 under with some low scores on the course.

Popular pick DJ, currently 9 back. Wow

Based on the scores so far, I guess the USGA regrets mowing the rough.

If Adam Scott hadn't pulled that miracle Eagle on 18 yesterday, all my picks would have been over par. Sad!

If Adam Scott hadn't pulled that miracle Eagle on 18 yesterday, all my picks would have been over par. Sad!

Usually the US Open is won by rounds right around par. It is tough to be under par. But Fowler et al kind of distorted how US Opens usually go.

Was Rory's 42 on the back 9 caused by being in the fescue? If so, that's not good after his rant about players complaining about it.

He was terrible off the tee all day. His first tee shot of the round was in the tall stuff.

Interesting mix of scores today, highs and lows. Current cut projection of +1 is going to leave a lot if stars on the sidelines this weekend unless they go low

Usually the US Open is won by rounds right around par. It is tough to be under par. But Fowler et al kind of distorted how US Opens usually go.
I'm sure the USGA will do something to make it more difficult, but the greens drying out should help the scores not be as low too.

Looking at the last 8 years, the average final score has been -4.5. However, taking out the outliers (Kaymer -9 in 2014 and Rory -14 in 2011) and the average final score the other years is -1.8. So definitely Rickie and others distorted how the US Opens usually go.

Was Rory's 42 on the back 9 caused by being in the fescue? If so, that's not good after his rant about players complaining about it.

Rory's 42 on the back nine was caused by:

Day, Mcilroy, Rose, Spieth.

You've been forewarned not to pick any of these guys. Two will miss the cut, one will either WD or DQ, the survivor will finish outside of the top 50.

Going to need Rahm or DJ to go low this afternoon, otherwise I'm going to get a big fat zero. I like my chances of the latter at this point.

Last edited:
Going to need Rahm or DJ to go low this afternoon, otherwise I'm get a big fat zero. I like my chances of the latter at this point.

DJ didn't do you (or me) any favors when he missed that 3 foot birdie putt on number four.

Followed Berger/Haas group for all 18 today. Tough go for Berger...Got off to a bad start and you could tell he was frustrated.

6 mile walk following them around. Pretty awesome course

I took the players ranked # 1-2-3-5 in the world in a major and only one of them made the cut. Dammit man.

First time the top three have missed the cut in the US Open. For me I considered Brooks but chose otherwise. Oh well.

Golf's been watchable, but I'd be remiss if I didn't take an opportunity to compliment Rickie Fowler. He must have an awesome putter.

That dadgum airplane flying around the course is getting really annoying. The sound of the engine is louder than the announcer's mics.

I often don't like Fox broadcast of sporting events but I am enjoying a lot of their graphics. Especially the ball tracker.

And Bill, I agree with you on the plane.

I often don't like Fox broadcast of sporting events but I am enjoying a lot of their graphics. Especially the ball tracker.

And Bill, I agree with you on the plane.

The ball tracker is really nice but other networks have it as well. Just seems like Fox is using it on every shot.

I had to turn the TV down that constant buzz what hurting by ears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT