ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 34 The Tour Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
The First Look: TOUR Championship

Written by Adam Stanley@adam_stanley
The 2022-23 PGA TOUR campaign wraps up at East Lake Golf Club – with the best of the season all competing for golf’s top prize.
The body of work of a FedExCup champion must be consistent, with a little bit of good timing sprinkled in as well.
Take Lucas Glover, for example, where winning back-to-back weeks – including the first FedExCup Playoffs event at the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis – catapulted the veteran into the fifth spot heading into the TOUR Championship.
“Obviously a pretty fun couple of weeks, not to put it too lightly,” Glover said last week at the BMW Championship.
And then there’s Viktor Hovland, whose course-record 61 Sunday at Olympia Fields quickly moved him into the winner’s circle at the BMW Championship. His Sunday 61 was the lowest final-round score by a winner in a FedExCup Playoffs event.
“To win at a place like this and amongst the best players in the world, it's pretty cool, and to do it that way, making seven birdies the last nine holes, and yeah, to beat those guys, that was pretty cool,” Hovland said of his final-round duel with Scottie Scheffler and Matt Fitzpatrick.
Rory McIlroy is going for his record fourth FedExCup. Can he become the first to go back-to-back?
Jon Rahm is looking to put the nicest of bows on an incredible season.
Maybe Max Homa will triumph at East Lake for the first time, with a smile of course.
Or 2021 FedExCup champ Patrick Cantlay will sneak up on everyone and join McIlroy and Tiger Woods as the only multi-time winners of the FedExCup.
Whatever the TOUR Championship holds, it’ll be a dramatic end to the season at East Lake.
FIELD NOTES: The full field can be found hereScheffler heads to East Lake ranked No. 1 in the FedExCup standings for the second straight year – the first time that has occurred. Scheffler, who has won twice this season, has had a remarkable 16 top-10 finishes in 22 starts… Hovland’s spectacular Sunday at the BMW Championship means he’ll head to East Lake ranked second in the FedExCup standings. Hovland shot a course-record 61 at Olympia Fields, including a back-nine 28, to win by two. It was his second win of the season… McIlroy is looking for his record fourth FedExCup title. McIlroy, twice a winner this season, will firmly be in the mix to chase down Scheffler again – just like in 2022. This is McIlroy’s highest position entering the TOUR Championship since the FedExCup Starting Strokes format was introduced in 2019… Fitzpatrick made the biggest move of anyone at the BMW Championship. His tie for second – his best result since his win at the RBC Heritage in April – moved him up 30 spots in the standings. Fitzpatrick was the only person to jump into the top 30 after the BMW Championship, with Chris Kirk the lone golfer to fall out of the top 30… After back-to-back top 10s at both FedExCup Playoffs events, Corey Conners will join Nick Taylor as Canadians in the season finale. It’s the first time in the FedExCup era there has been more than one Canadian at East Lake after the country produced four TOUR winners this season – its most ever… By virtue of teeing it up at the TOUR Championship, Adam Schenk – who is making his debut at East Lake – will have played 33 PGA TOUR events this season, the most of anyone… There will be five TOUR Championship debutants – Schenk, Taylor, Wyndham Clark, Tom Kim, and Taylor MooreEmiliano Grillo (No. 27) has re-qualified for the TOUR Championship for the first time since 2016 – the largest gap of anyone in the field.
HIGHEST-RANKED PLAYERS IN THE FIELD
World RankingFedExCup
1. Scottie Scheffler1. Scottie Scheffler
2. Rory McIlroy2. Viktor Hovland
3. Jon Rahm3. Rory McIlroy
4. Patrick Cantlay4. Jon Rahm
5. Viktor Hovland5. Lucas Glover
6. Xander Schauffele6. Max Homa
7. Max Homa7. Patrick Cantlay
8. Matt Fitzpatrick8. Brian Harman
9. Brian Harman9. Wyndham Clark
11. Wyndham Clark10. Matt Fitzpatrick

STORYLINES:

1) How it works
The FedExCup Starting Strokes format rewards the top golfer in the FedExCup standings with a two-shot advantage Thursday at East Lake. Scottie Scheffler will start the week at 10 under, while Viktor Hovland will be at 8 under. Rory McIlroy will be at 7 under, Jon Rahm will be at 6 under, Lucas Glover at 5 under, and the balance of the field will be from 4 under to even par. The winner of the FedExCup will receive $18 million.
2) Can Rahm finish what he started?
Rahm, who won four times in the early part of the year including the Masters, was on top of the FedExCup standings for 30 straight weeks until he was bumped to fourth after Viktor Hovland’s victory at the BMW Championship.
3) Major champs to FedExCup champ?
Both Wyndham Clark and Brian Harman – first-time major winners this season – are inside the top 10 in the FedExCup standings heading to East Lake. The last time an in-season major winner also won the FedExCup, however, was in 2017 when Justin Thomas pulled the feat.
4) Ryder Cup selections still up for grabs
With the top six for U.S. Team now confirmed, the remaining six captain’s picks will come at the conclusion of the TOUR Championship. Plenty of notable would-be picks are teeing it up at East Lake including Glover, Keegan Bradley, and RickieFowler.
FEDEXCUP:
Winner receives the FedExCup.
COURSE: East Lake Golf Club, par 70, 7,346 yards. Every FedExCup champion (from 2007-onwards) has been crowned at East Lake, the host club of the TOUR Championship every year since 2005. The home course of Bobby Jones, East Lake is the oldest golf course in the city of Atlanta. Tom Bendelow was the original architect, with both Donald Ross and Rees Jones putting their hands on the storied Atlanta layout.
At the conclusion of the 2023 TOUR Championship, architect Andrew Green will conduct a robust remodel. Green spearheaded the significant changes to Oak Hill Country Club’s East Course – the host of this year’s PGA Championship.
72-HOLE RECORD: 257, Tiger Woods (2007).
18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Zach Johnson (3rd round, 2007).
LAST TIME: McIlroy captured his record third FedExCup, finishing one shot ahead of Sungjae Im and Scheffler, who was in the No. 1 spot after the BMW Championship. McIlroy fired a 63 on Saturday – tied for the low round of the week – but needed plenty of help from Scheffler to win at East Lake. McIlroy started 10 shots back of Scheffler Thursday and was six shots back entering the final round. Scheffler never trailed all week until the 70th hole after a bogey on the par-4 16th en route to a final-round 73. It was McIlroy’s third win of the season after THE CJ CUP and the RBC Canadian Open. Xander Schauffele finished fourth, while Homa and Justin Thomas finished tied for fifth.

HOW TO FOLLOW: (All times ET)

Television: Thursday-Friday, 1-6 p.m. (Golf Channel). Saturday, 1-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3-7 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, noon.-1:30 p.m. (Golf Channel), 1:30-6 p.m. (CBS).
PGA TOUR LIVE:
ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Main Feed: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Group: 12:30-7 p.m.Featured Group: 11:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
Featured Group: 1-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1-6 p.m.N/AN/A
Stream 2Featured Group: 1-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1-7 p.m.Featured Group: noon-6 p.m.
N/AN/AN/AN/A
Stream 3Featured Holes: noon-1 p.m.Featured Holes: noon-1 p.m.Featured Hole: 1-7 p.m.Featured Hole: noon-6 p.m.
Featured Hole: 1-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1-6 p.m.N/AN/A
Stream 4Featured Hole: 1- 6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1- 6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1-7 p.m.Featured Hole: noon-6 p.m.
N/AN/AN/AN/A
PGA TOUR LIVE is available exclusively on ESPN+
  • Main Feed: primary tournament coverage featuring the best action from across the course
  • Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
  • Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
  • Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes
Radio: Thursday-Friday, noon–6 p.m. Saturday, 2-7 p.m. Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio

Congratulations again to last week's winner @FSUdawg

Congratulations to the 2023 Regular Season Champion @DFSNOLE

Leader-thru-BMW-23.png

I will post the point reset in a moment.

Last edited:
Here is the 2023 Tour Championship Grid.

Like last year, I went straight down the line based on the number of players.

Point-reset-2023.png

Good Luck to everyone this week and enjoy East Lake

1 point?! Ha - I will be lucky to even get to select this week for the TC after throwing my guy under the bus. Oh ye of little faith. And maybe I should petition the League Office to start at -0- points, as a show of solidarity with Spieth. On second thought...nah, I need all the help I can get this coming week. And here I was planning on ripping up sod, re-seeding and laying out new stuff along with other tedious and strenuous yardwork activities in our backyard next weekend since I assumed that Spieth was cooked, broiled and flamed out. I am a horrible fan...my punishment should be to lie strapped to a pine board and have to listen to ABBA with the volume turned all the way to 11...

1 point?! Ha - I will be lucky to even get to select this week for the TC after throwing my guy under the bus. Oh ye of little faith. And maybe I should petition the League Office to start at -0- points, as a show of solidarity with Spieth. On second thought...nah, I need all the help I can get this coming week. And here I was planning on ripping up sod, re-seeding and laying out new stuff along with other tedious and strenuous yardwork activities in our backyard next weekend since I assumed that Spieth was cooked, broiled and flamed out. I am a horrible fan...my punishment should be to lie strapped to a pine board and have to listen to ABBA with the volume turned all the way to 11...
Be more grateful... Some of us don't even have one point.

Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

As an ABBA diehard, I resent this post.
Dancing Queen GIF by ABBA

Well, as one of the zero point mob, my fragile ego is faced with trying to do something positive for once this season. I was tempted to just roll them over, but An screwed that and failed to qualify.

So.....
Sam Burns
Corey Connors
Taylor Moore
Scottie Scheffler

I'll lick my wounds on Monday morning.

Merry Go Round Dancer GIF by Stray Fossa

I shamelessly admit I turn in my man card and literally can't get enough of them. I even have their greatest hits in SPANISH, for cryin' out loud. Seen the play and the movie, but sadly, never got to see them live (though I have seen a covers version of them). Their incessantly urgent singing gets me every time.

I shamelessly admit I turn in my man card and literally can't get enough of them. I even have their greatest hits in SPANISH, for cryin' out loud. Seen the play and the movie, but sadly, never got to see them live (though I have seen a covers version of them). Their incessantly urgent singing gets me every time.
Not a massive fan myself, but "Chiquitita" is a chill ballad. 😎

Reactions: NoleinATL
Going out to east Manatee County and kill a chicken for Rory’s putter.
For the last 18 months the guy has hit the ball about as good as anyone I’ve ever seen.
But the putter… Would love to see him just destroy the field to win another FedEx Cup.

Good evening Mr. Commissioner. One last time for the gold.

S Scheffler
R McIlroy
V Hovland
B Harman

Thank you once again for all your work in doing this every year. It is really appreciated. Good luck sir.

Nice, welcome to the correct side

So the top 4 in our standings all have 3 picks in common (Shef, Rory, Hovland) - unless something odd happens & someone makes a charge from the back of the pack it will come down to whose 4th wheel isn't flat.

I'll go for broke with a pack of guys who are back in the standings, as am I:

Mr. Pole Vault Girl
Henley
TomKim
Schauffele

McIlroy
Scheffler
Hovland
Rahm
Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

I gotta make a change. Picked the same guys as dfs. So …
picked Rahm. I feel like I need a bath. Yuck !

Almost mentioned that when I saw your picks yesterday - thought you'd decided to lay up & play for 2nd place instead of attacking the pin & trying to win. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT