ADVERTISEMENT

Protests on college campuses.

This thread has been very interesting to follow, but I wonder why it never shows up in my watches unless it's the last one I follow that's been posted on. Things like the golf thread are no problem, but this has happened on several other threads recently.
Meme Think GIF

Reactions: goldmom
This is funny. Now the committee chairman complains that the police are slow to react. Did he complain when the Jewish students were being attacked with no police intervention?
Imagine them wanting equal protection under the law!!! Crazy isn’t it?
Hey, where are the people who were so concerned about violence speaking out against the masked mob that attacked the protestors with clubs and mace?

• Haha
Reactions: noletaire
Hey, where are the people who were so concerned about violence speaking out against the masked mob that attacked the protestors with clubs and mace?
(muffled laughter)....... can't suppress any longer: LMFAO

It has been very sad and tense. We were alerted yesterday that all campus departments except the hospitals were mandated to pivot to remote work and asked to stay away from campus for the rest of the week. Generally, the students, faculty, and staff are upset. I am worried that our chancellor, whom I really like and who was on the verge of retiring this quarter after a very long, successful tenure, is going to be made a scapegoat for this situation.

Thanks for the update.

Be safe.

It has been very sad and tense. We were alerted yesterday that all campus departments except the hospitals were mandated to pivot to remote work and asked to stay away from campus for the rest of the week. Generally, the students, faculty, and staff are upset. I am worried that our chancellor, whom I really like and who was on the verge of retiring this quarter after a very long, successful tenure, is going to be made a scapegoat for this situation.
Perhaps he should be. Florida hasn’t had this problem. Columbia once they decided to deal with it, it was over in a couple of hours.

Based on my understanding of what happened Wednesday evening, I do not think he should be.
I think amongst the biggest errors that some of these campus admins are making is allowing encampments. The u Chicago pres called encampments violence. I think that’s accurate. Similar to blocking highways. It’s a siege. A violent act. Allowing that at any level is violently provocative. Taking over a building is violence. That’s why the admins deserve to be replaced. This is the same problem at a smaller scale as the blm 2020 protests. In blue run cities, if the cause is adjacent or in line with blue thought, it is given a long leash. That’s a problem.

Another mistake, of course, is including activism driven prog left political litmus test statements to get into college. recruit based on that and you get what we are seeing today. There’s an ideology problem that’s very common on campuses.

When the 2016 election happened, many treated the next day like a funeral. Leadership pointed people to support resources and made solemn statements. Over the years, demands from prog left faculty members to release statements opposing -insert gop thing we don’t like here- have been common. It has been common throughout my career for it to be seen as ok to make fun of gop, which worsened through the 2010s, but there was a dramatic shift after 2016. Really before that, codified with Hillary’s “basket of deplorables” strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeddyLee09
I don’t understand how any protesters, marchers, demonstrators are allowed to cover their faces!

I guess I’m also looking back at Antifa and blm as well

I think if the “ no face” covering law that was enforced against the kkk was enforced now that maybe it would be a deterrent to these things!!

Note, I am not talking about peaceful, non distruptive type of things

There should be no anonymity allowed for what’s taking place now!

Reactions: GeddyLee09
Thanks for the update.

Be safe.
Yeah. For God’s sake be careful. Don’t get hurt by rioters and protesters who support terrorists in the eco friendly Mecca of tolerance called California. Lmfao

Last edited:
Great article. “Speech is not violence. Silence is not violence. Violence is violence”.
Yes. And, accurately pins the problem on prog left identity politic infection in academia. You can see the difference in leadership with Columbia and UCLA both allowing terrible behavior from the prog left side so we can hear their grievances and also several schools capitulating to ridiculous demands. A few quotes:

Appeasing mobs emboldens agitators elsewhere. Moving classes online is a retreat that penalizes students and rewards protesters. Participating in live-streamed struggle sessions doesn’t promote honest, good-faith discussion. . .

Rather than engage a wide range of ideas with curiosity and intellectual humility, many academic disciplines have capitulated to a dogmatic view of identity politics. Students are taught to divide the world into immutable categories of oppressors and oppressed, and to make sweeping judgements accordingly. With little regard for historical complexity, personal agency or individual dignity, much of what passes for sophisticated thought is quasireligious fanaticism.
[yep. We have achieved a critical mass of far left fanatics in gov and academia]

The results are now on full display....

Young men and women with little grasp of geography or history—even recent events like the Palestinians’ rejection of President Clinton’s offer of a two-state solution—wade into geopolitics with bumper-sticker slogans they don’t understand. For a lonely subset of the anxious generation, these protest camps can become a place to find a rare taste of community. This is their stage to role-play revolution
[LOL yes, LARPing]....

Teachers ought to be ushering students into the world of argument and persuasion. Minds are changed by reason, not force.

Last edited:
Like I said. The Jewish folks getting attacked going to work and class had no protection, and nobody complained. Now that a protester is attacked the governor complains. It should be equal. This in a nutshell shows what's wrong with that state and the country.

I agree with you though. If they are non-violent and protesting within the law someone protesting Israel should get the same protection as those protesting slavery or supporting Trump. Shouldn't matter what the cause is.

Like I said. The Jewish folks getting attacked going to work and class had no protection, and nobody complained. Now that a protester is attacked the governor complains. It should be equal. This in a nutshell shows what's wrong with that state and the country.

I agree with you though. If they are non-violent and protesting within the law someone protesting Israel should get the same protection as those protesting slavery or supporting Trump. Shouldn't matter what the cause is.
We’ve set a precedent that people protesting for leftist causes are allowed to be disruptive, break things, harass and intimidate people, trash buildings, burn things, and then have their demands met. Vote blue gained a massive amount of money from their 2020 riots. Many on the left believe that protests need to be disruptive. Civil disobedience is part of their protest culture and it is a badge of honor to be arrested.

Also, it wasn’t that nobody complained. In schools like UF (Sasse), Jews were protected. In places like ucla and Columbia, they were not. The difference is who is in charge.

Last edited:
We’ve set a precedent that people protesting for leftist causes are allowed the be disruptive, break things, harass and intimidate people, trash buildings, burn things, and then have their demands met. Vote blue gained a massive amount of money from their 2020 riots. Many on the left believe that protests need to be disruptive. Civil disobedience is part of their protest culture and it is a badge of honor to be arrested.

Also, it wasn’t that nobody complained. In schools like UF (sasse), Jews were protected. In places like ucla and Columbia, they were not. The difference is who is in charge.

100% agree with you here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT