ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Toys R Us

Just one person’s opinion but there is no worse shopping experience than at Aldi, but if there’s a second, it may very well be Trader Joe’s.

I don’t think Publix has anything to worry about from those two. Maybe from Amazon/Whole Foods...but definitely not those two.
I have no problem with either Aldi or Trader Joe's. What's your issue with them?

Reactions: phillienole
I have no problem with either Aldi or Trader Joe's. What's your issue with them?
Well I said it was just my opinion but since you asked, I’ve been to one Aldi and I would never consider going back. Aldi feels like you’re going to a minitiature Costco that had sex w/a 7-11 store...and that was the outcome. No recognizable brands. Some bulk items that look way out of place considering the small size of the store. No rhyme or reason to the layout. And all the patrons look like ghosts. Seriously, it’s the worst shopping experience I’ve ever had and that includes Walmarts and Winn-Dixies...2 other places that I would never set foot in.

Trader Joe’s sucks for different reasons. 1. It’s tiny. The aisles are tiny. The selection is tiny. Everything about the place is too small. 2. The people that shop there like to pretend it’s some cult place that no one has ever heard of and that they’re cool b/c they go there. Rubs me the wrong way. 3. I like the way regular supermarkets check you out when you pay. I don’t like they’re way of doing things at Trader Joe’s. Just preference I guess. 4. People pretend they’re so cheap. They’re not. They have like 3 items that Publix doesn’t have, and THOSE items are cheap. 5. They’re meat selection is abysmal. I would never go back into one willingly though if I had any other option.

Well I said it was just my opinion but since you asked, I’ve been to one Aldi and I would never consider going back. Aldi feels like you’re going to a minitiature Costco that had sex w/a 7-11 store...and that was the outcome. No recognizable brands. Some bulk items that look way out of place considering the small size of the store. No rhyme or reason to the layout. And all the patrons look like ghosts. Seriously, it’s the worst shopping experience I’ve ever had and that includes Walmarts and Winn-Dixies...2 other places that I would never set foot in.

Trader Joe’s sucks for different reasons. 1. It’s tiny. The aisles are tiny. The selection is tiny. Everything about the place is too small. 2. The people that shop there like to pretend it’s some cult place that no one has ever heard of and that they’re cool b/c they go there. Rubs me the wrong way. 3. I like the way regular supermarkets check you out when you pay. I don’t like they’re way of doing things at Trader Joe’s. Just preference I guess. 4. People pretend they’re so cheap. They’re not. They have like 3 items that Publix doesn’t have, and THOSE items are cheap. 5. They’re meat selection is abysmal. I would never go back into one willingly though if I had any other option.
Aldi/TJ's are actually owned by the same company. TJ's is basically a high-end Aldi. So it makes sense if you don't like one you won't like the other. I think they're not really meant to be like traditional grocery chains. I am not brand-conscious for 99% of things, and Aldi's products are generally as good as any other brand for most things to me. TJ's I agree the meat/produce is overrated. Not so much selection to me, but in quality. I think they are over-hyped, but I do like that they have a different variety of products than you'd find at a traditional chain. My issue with Aldi used to be that where I live they were in sketchy parts of town. But they recently opened one in a nice new shopping center down the street from my house. It's bigger than the other stores I've been to and has a lot more high-end products as well. I guess they're trying to appeal to the locals.

So is Aldi for poors? Your description suggests yes. Just wondering. Never been in one.

So is Aldi for poors? Your description suggests yes. Just wondering. Never been in one.

Really both are.

I’m not a fan of either, I really prefer Fresh Market and Earth Fare to either of those. I usually end up shopping at Publix half the time due to convenience for staples like milk and eggs, go to Earth Fare a quarter of the time for the better produce and cheese and go to Fresh Market a quarter of the time for the better meat and imported foods.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I don’t get the “exorbitantly high prices” at Publix crowd. It’s just not true.

I've noticed on 'commodity' things like a box of cereal, crackers, ice cream, etc that the publix price is above the Walmart price for the identical item. Fill a cart with items like that and it adds up. Especially over a year.
If it's something I would normally buy I'll always grab it from their BOGO setup when I see it, but typically they're more expensive.

I've noticed on 'commodity' things like a box of cereal, crackers, ice cream, etc that the publix price is above the Walmart price for the identical item. Fill a cart with items like that and it adds up. Especially over a year.
If it's something I would normally buy I'll always grab it from their BOGO setup when I see it, but typically they're more expensive.
I would absolutely pay a premium price to never ever have to step foot in a Walmart.

I would absolutely pay a premium price to never ever have to step foot in a Walmart.
Agreed. We don’t have Publix around here, although one is currently under construction. I know that they will not be the cheapest on commodity items, but welcome the variety that they offer. You can go to wallmart to buy cheep, but not for variety or local grown. Notice the origin on wallmart seafood, or other items for that matter...

On many products — including things like ketchup and mayonaise — be aware that Walmart has stuff made for it at “Walmart specifications” that are slightly lower than what the manufacturer usually makes (for everyone else). So, yes, maybe you are getting “it” cheaper, but your “it” ain’t exactly what everyone else is buying.

Reactions: billanole
And to add to your comment, I will not knowingly support a corporation that has full time employees who qualify for food stamps. That equates to having society subsidize your business model.

Simple price comparisons suggest otherwise. A grocery store selling non organic chicken breast for 4.99 a pound and non organic lean ground beef for 6 bucks a pound is "exorbitantly high". I can go into Costco, BJs or even Winn Dixie and buy chicken breast for half that price. Considering these stores all source from the same suppliers, there is no difference in quality.

Aldi and Trader Joe's appeal to people looking to save money on groceries who don't want to go to places like Walmart. I've been in Aldi twice and Trader Joe's 3-4 times. Don't care for Aldi, in fact I found it disgusting, but I like the new Trader Joe's we have. Point is that they wouldn't gain a foothold in the market if the need wasn't there.

I love Fresh Market but not a big fan of Earth Fare.

We started buying most of our produce from a local farmers market. It's better quality than Publix and 1/3 of the cost. You're helping out a local grower at the same time. Win win.

The only time Publix really beats Wal-Mart on their EDRP is through BOGOs. Their everyday retail price is usually much higher.

I don't think they do it any more, but for years the St Pete Times had a great monthly column comparing grocery store prices. They came up with what they felt was a typical week's shopping list for a family of four (basic foods, with some snacks & such mixed in). Then they'd send staff to a few different locations for each of the major grocery chains in the area (back when I used to look at it a lot, they included Publix, WalMart, Winn Dixie, Kash & Karry/Sweetbay, and I think one other - I think either Target or Albertsons). IIRC, they just went by the stated store price, without BOGO or loyalty card discounts. WD & Publix were always the most expensive, usually by a significant margin over the others.

Kroger (Publix) are going to be a little bit more, but the experience is worth more.

Here’s how my grocery shopping experience compares:

I pull up to the side of the Walmart and someone comes out and loads the car while I read on my phone and listen to Jeff Cameron. I then drive home.
Or I can walk around inside Publix and spend more money.
From my subjective standpoint the Walmart grocery experience is superior.

I’ll take either over the Venezuelan grocery experience.

On many products — including things like ketchup and mayonaise — be aware that Walmart has stuff made for it at “Walmart specifications” that are slightly lower than what the manufacturer usually makes (for everyone else). So, yes, maybe you are getting “it” cheaper, but your “it” ain’t exactly what everyone else is buying.

I’ve noticed and read about how cost pressures (whether inflationary or store driven) have led to 13oz packages replacing 16oz packages, etc. And I’ve read about ingredient substitution following the same lines, but I hadn’t read about different versions of food products for certain stores.
Where can I read about that? Searches are just pointing out to me fact I can’t get Doritos and other ‘non food’ at Whole Foods.
I haven’t noticed a difference between the Ritz crackers from Publix or Walmart.

Reactions: ericram

I pull up to the side of the Walmart and someone comes out and loads the car while I read on my phone and listen to Jeff Cameron. I then drive home.

OR you can have Publix deliver to your house and avoid all the mess. The one and only time we did the Walmart pick up, they missed 4 items so we had to go back. So that wasn't worth the time or effort.

Reactions: Banditking

I have to say, I think it was your expectations. what you describe is exactly what Aldi is. I do think they should be better organized but you don't go there for the high end products, you go there for the way off brand generics at a lower price.

I do agree with most Trader Joes. They are small. They are limited. They have off brand at a high price. We have one that is closer to our normal paths, but I avoid it. They never meet my full shopping list and even when I need 1 off type item, they don't seem to have that either. The inventory list is just too small for my normal purchasing. I don't need to go there and then go somewhere else.

We do have a Sprouts farmers Market grocery. I like them for the crunchy granola items as well as they seem to have better produce than most other places, but not so much better that i'd drive out of my normal path. Was severely disappointed with the spoiled steak I got from Safeway the other day. Used to be an Albertsons, then purchased by Safeway. Still seem to have some issues.

Kroger (here) does curbside delivery also.

We do have a Sprouts farmers Market grocery. I like them for the crunchy granola items as well as they seem to have better produce than most other places, but not so much better that i'd drive out of my normal path. Was severely disappointed with the spoiled steak I got from Safeway the other day. Used to be an Albertsons, then purchased by Safeway. Still seem to have some issues.

I've heard Sprouts stores are great. Never been in one but heard nothing but good things about them.

Locally we have an option called Freshfields Farm that I go to from time to time. It's like an indoor farmers market that sells the basics: meat, seafood and produce. Selection is good and it's considerably cheaper and better quality than Publix. I believe they have one in Orlando as well

OR you can have Publix deliver to your house and avoid all the mess.

Is there a cost or membership required for that in Tally?

The one and only time we did the Walmart pick up, they missed 4 items so we had to go back. So that wasn't worth the time or effort.

For me it’s a swing through on the way home from work, but that kind of failure rate would turn you off any service. I haven’t had something missing, but multiple occasions they offered a substitute for something.

I've heard Sprouts stores are great. Never been in one but heard nothing but good things about them.

Locally we have an option called Freshfields Farm that I go to from time to time. It's like an indoor farmers market that sells the basics: meat, seafood and produce. Selection is good and it's considerably cheaper and better quality than Publix. I believe they have one in Orlando as well

I like them for the occasional stop. I find the meat and produce to be a bit better than the usual big boys, they also have the cuts and selections that are "different" for the area. Sometimes get swordfish, etc. The selection of staples is more limited as they also focus on the hippy/organic/products, but I am really trying to only get fresh and cook almost everything from scratch. They also always carry Immaculate baking products, which are leaps and bounds better than other canned biscuits. I am not proud that I go the canned route, but prepping from scratch is a PITA when I have limited time. They are a little more expensive, but not as bad as the old Whole Foods rates. I haven't been to Whole Foods since Amazon.

We only have local grown Farmers markets in the summer, our winters prevent local produce. I did watch a guy in Alaska who has a year round green house heated by burning the saw dust from his wood mill. Ah, yeah, thats too much work, I guess Ill just eat the stuff shipped from Mexico.

I do as much grocery shopping as I possibly can at Your Dekalb Farmers Market. Many of you would hate it. I think it's amazing.

No clue how prices compare.

Anyone ever buy fruits and veggies from the pickers at the flea market?

Buddy of mine was regularly trading buckets of pecans from grandfather in laws orchard for his wife's pick of whatever they had for sale.

I don't think an Aldi or Trader Joes is a Publix threat...totally different stores. We've had both in Atlanta for along time with no affect on Publix or Kroger. Both are like a mini-Costco would be for those people that really have a hard on for Kirkland Brand. Aldi and TJs are basically the same thing, tailored to how you want to think about yourself. Neither is worth a damn for meat or produce.

We hit Aldi about once a month for a handful of items for which their brand is as good a name brand for considerably cheaper...cereal, chips/snacks, salad dressing, nuts, cookies, cheese. They're cheaper than even the Publix/Kroger store brands, and in some cases better. Now, I wouldn't make a special trip to Aldi to save 75 cents on a bag of chips, but when you have three teenagers, and are going through five boxes of cereal, three bags of chips, 20 yogurts, etc a week, on a monthly basis it adds up to being well worth the trip. You've got to work your way through the products though and figure out which ones work...some I like as much or more than a name brand...other things are definitely no good.

Whole foods is stupid expensive, but I could see myself shopping there when it's just my wife and I eventually...an extra few bucks isn't a big deal on a small total, but it's a total non-starter for the full family. Sprouts isn't that expensive on a lot of things, but the selection is still not good enough to be a one-stop for a big family. Been to Earthfare a couple times and didn't see anything to recommend it really. They're a worse whole foods, not having the selection of really good bakery/deli/etc that Whole Foods has. My favorite of the fancy shmancy places is probably Fresh Market, but they're too expensive on the lower priced things that we go through a lot of. That's probably the one I would choose to shop at though.

Kroger and Publix, we have to bounce back and forth, but they've got the price/selection/quality/cleanliness combo in the Atlanta market, nothing competes, and I don't see anything competing unless Wegmans hits town.

When I lived in Chicago, I’d go to Whole Foods or a local butcher for meat and to Jewel or Dominick’s for everything else.

I really like Central Market in Dallas and Austin.

In Florida, Publix is good. Fresh Market is okay. I perceive it as a poorer version of Whole Foods. I go to both publix and fresh market.

Haven’t been to a Walmart in years.

Grocery shopping at a single store is already a pain, not going to waste my time going to three or four places every week. Trader Joe's and Sprouts have some good niche products but not worth a special trip and they don't have near the selection as my local Kroger.

I have no issues with Walmart generally but find grocery shopping there very unappealing. It's a convenience store vibe.

Reactions: LesClaypool
And to add to your comment, I will not knowingly support a corporation that has full time employees who qualify for food stamps. That equates to having society subsidize your business model.

Any knowledge of Target's willingness to pay livable salary? I feel like when the discussion turns to that, the sole focus is on Wallyworld.

Any knowledge of Target's willingness to pay livable salary? I feel like when the discussion turns to that, the sole focus is on Wallyworld.
Good question. There is a Target close to where I work, but thirty miles from home. I go there three or four times a year. I don’t go to the wallmart at all. I do not know anything regarding the wages vs. the wallmart.
I would have to speculate that tar get would also receive bad pub if their full time employees needed public assistance. The wallmart has had lots of pub regarding full time employees getting public assistance.

Does Target pay you based on how many kids you can claim?

In Florida "[m]ost households must pass a gross income limit less than or equal to 200% of the Federal Poverty Level" for eligibility.
Persons in Household - 200% FPL
1 - $24,120
2 - $32,480
3 - $40,840
4 - $49,200
5 - $57,560
6 - $65,920
7 - $74,280
8 - $82,640

Does Target pay you based on how many kids you can claim?

In Florida "[m]ost households must pass a gross income limit less than or equal to 200% of the Federal Poverty Level" for eligibility.
Persons in Household - 200% FPL
1 - $24,120
2 - $32,480
3 - $40,840
4 - $49,200
5 - $57,560
6 - $65,920
7 - $74,280
8 - $82,640
So, that is basically $12 hour for a single guy/girl to be at poverty level. A couple should earn basically $16 hour between the two to be at poverty level. I can only imagine trying to exist at poverty level, although for years that is where I was... early to mid 20’s.

Last edited:
Walmart = disgusting people in a disgusting environment. Almost like being at a gator football game. No amount of “savings” makes that a good option.

So, that is basically $12 hour for a single guy/girl to be at poverty level.

According to glass door that’s the average salary for an Amazon warehouse worker or a retail assistant manager.

A couple should earn basically $16 hour between the two to be at poverty level. I can only imagine trying to exist at poverty level, although for years that is where I was... early to mid 20’s.

How did you deal with it?
Main thing I always did when younger and making less dough was have a roommate to share expenses so I could live somewhere better than I could afford alone.

Walmart = disgusting people in a disgusting environment. Almost like being at a gator football game. No amount of “savings” makes that a good option.

I was never hoity toity enough to be worried about rubbing elbows with the hoi polloi. But I like how the market fosters so many alternatives and niches for different tastes.

According to glass door that’s the average salary for an Amazon warehouse worker or a retail assistant manager.

How did you deal with it?
Main thing I always did when younger and making less dough was have a roommate to share expenses so I could live somewhere better than I could afford alone.
Pretty much the same for me. Roommates, living in dumps, doing without...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT