ADVERTISEMENT

R.I.P. Toys R Us

Here's my breakdown:

Publix/Kroger - Bread and butter items.
Sprouts - Produce.
Wal-mart - Toiletries, groceries (if I'm already in there for something else).
Costco - Bulk items (meat, snacks, paper products, egg whites, etc.)
Amazon/online - Specialty items (protein powder, etc.).

Here's my breakdown:

Costco - Bulk items (meat, snacks, paper products, egg whites, etc.)

I do agree with the staples from costco, but on a night to night basis, we don't eat enough meat to make it worthwhile to purchase meat there. I don't like freezing meat as I never remember to thaw it ahead of time... I applaud people who can set the menu for the whole week, but I'm lucky if I know what I am cooking for dinner by lunchtime.

I do agree with the staples from costco, but on a night to night basis, we don't eat enough meat to make it worthwhile to purchase meat there. I don't like freezing meat as I never remember to thaw it ahead of time... I applaud people who can set the menu for the whole week, but I'm lucky if I know what I am cooking for dinner by lunchtime.

Had a Costco membership for a while now, and after all the hype find it pretty much a waste of time other than the quality of the meat, most of which (like the chicken) I can't use because I don't feel like having to defrost it.

Their prices are at least as expensive as regular grocery stores, with the bonus of having to buy and store a huge amount. If you buy store brands of any items, they're much less expensive than Costco without the storage or handling of giant amounts. For name brand things, it's just not worth it to me to have to store two gigantic boxes of Cheez Its to save 20 cents, if that.

I understand how they run sales that can actually occasionally allow you to save money in exchange for buying a carload, but having to keep track of those and make a trip through the Who concert that is my local Costco to buy a box of dishwasher pods because it actually saves me a couple bucks, just doesn't happen.

We'll probably renew simply for the steaks, ribs and salmon, which are better than what we get elsewhere and well priced, and there are a few things that are a decent enough deal to grab when we're there, but not at all worth a special trip.

Had a Costco membership for a while now, and after all the hype find it pretty much a waste of time other than the quality of the meat, most of which (like the chicken) I can't use because I don't feel like having to defrost it.

Their prices are at least as expensive as regular grocery stores, with the bonus of having to buy and store a huge amount. If you buy store brands of any items, they're much less expensive than Costco without the storage or handling of giant amounts. For name brand things, it's just not worth it to me to have to store two gigantic boxes of Cheez Its to save 20 cents, if that.

I guess my experience is different than yours. Everything I buy there is orders of magnitude less expensive than grocery stores: meat, paper goods, protein bars, protein powder, Kodiak Cakes, nuts, etc. The tradeoff is that you have to deal with the large quantities.

When it’s in stock, Costco still carries the wide sheet Cottonelle toilet paper. Can’t find it anywhere else. I have 200+ rolls in my basement right now.

Had a Costco membership for a while now, and after all the hype find it pretty much a waste of time.

For myself Costco is useful because they’re between me and town, so it’s no problem at all to always purchase my fuel there and that price difference covers a membership over a year with just me. Wife gets gas there too, so that puts us money ahead before ever making use of what’s inside.
In my experience, when supplies are tight and politicians start to threaten ‘gouging’, Costco’s membership restriction means while you may wait in a longer than normal line, you will get some gas, comrade.
This might not matter where you live, but it has already been useful to me on more than one occasion.

I understand how they run sales that can actually occasionally allow you to save money in exchange for buying a carload, but having to keep track of those and make a trip through the Who concert that is my local Costco to buy a box of dishwasher pods because it actually saves me a couple bucks, just doesn't happen.

We'll probably renew simply for the steaks, ribs and salmon, which are better than what we get elsewhere and well priced, and there are a few things that are a decent enough deal to grab when we're there, but not at all worth a special trip.

We buy a lot of staples and have cold storage downstairs, so no biggie on the volume issue within reason. We make a trip every week or two. Prices are about 1/2 to 2/3 what we would pay at the grocery, and will go basically every week for more. For the produce, I see the prices in that same savings range, and usually eat all of that before it goes bad. Smaller selection than the grocery, but rarely have onions, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, and never carrots go bad. And even if they did, the back have of the inventory was free.

Agree on the salmon and ribs. I do get a pork loin and cut n freeze, but have to remember ahead.

I agree many items are not a large savings, but some definitely are. Oh, the other huge savings items. Spices. I may be one of the few, but I buy my cumin at costco.

Our local doesn't have diesel for me, but the gas savings for her is notable.

Reactions: ericram
I guess my experience is different than yours. Everything I buy there is orders of magnitude less expensive than grocery stores: meat, paper goods, protein bars, protein powder, Kodiak Cakes, nuts, etc. The tradeoff is that you have to deal with the large quantities.

Yeah, I'm sure it varies by market. Meat is definitely well priced, if you can use it all or freeze it. Paper goods are definitely no cheaper than the grocery stores for me, but with paper towels and napkins, I'm perfectly cool buying whatever's on sale, including generics, and it's just as cheap. Might be different if we had a brand loyalty to a name brand there. For toilet paper, they don't carry what we prefer anyway. Protein powder and bars aren't on my list and I don't know what Kodiak cakes are. Nuts we get at Aldi cheaper.

We do get their Almond milk there for my daughter, and that's a good deal for us, so I'm sure there are plenty of things there that are a good deal, if they line up with someone's needs. I just have a hard time making an excuse to go there unless I want some steaks.

I also have the benefit of a very big Kroger/Publix competitive market with all the alternative fancy pants stores as well, so I imagine that keeps the regular grocery stores clean, nice, well stocked and competitively priced. Not everyone has the benefit of that for sure.

When I'm doing a cookout or throwing something on the smoker, I go to Costco. It's worth it for the quality. I made a ton of fajitas for my son's birthday party and their price on skirt steak was unbeatable, especially for the quantity I needed.

We also buy things like diapers, paper products, frozen foods and other items we go through a lot of at Costco or BJs. Unit cost is cheaper and it lasts longer.

I also get things like deodorant and body wash from Costco or BJs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT