ADVERTISEMENT

Rib Roast Question

nynole1

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2006
For thetLR master chefs: I'm making one for Christmas. Its a monster compared to ones I've made in the past. 15 pounds of prime meat, frozen solid.
Two questions: how many days will it take to defrost in the refrigerator? I'm leaning towards moving it Tuesday.
Got a favorite recipe? Thinking just olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and minced garlic.

A roast that size will take 3 or 4 days to thaw
That's what I was thinking, then saw a couple posts on a BBQ blog that said up to a week. Maybe I'll just go with 4-5 days, water bath if it doesn't get there by then.

Went small with a 7 pounder this year.

Rub lightly with worcestshire sauce...coat with salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder...let sit over night

Then off to the smoker...money, everytime...

pairing it with a loaded potato casserole, green beans w/bacon, yeast rolls and a macked out trifle for dessert

Last edited:
Taking it out now to thaw wint hurt it at all. When I cook brisket I usually take it our a week before im cooking it.

Reactions: nynole1
For thetLR master chefs: I'm making one for Christmas. Its a monster compared to ones I've made in the past. 15 pounds of prime meat, frozen solid.
Two questions: how many days will it take to defrost in the refrigerator? I'm leaning towards moving it Tuesday.
Got a favorite recipe? Thinking just olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and minced garlic.

That's a monster. I'm probably going to do a 6-7 pounds for Christmas Eve. I'm going to sous vide it this time. I need the oven for some other things and the smoker will be occupied. Should be interesting.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe

I do ribroast probably once a month but never in the monster size you’re talking. With my comparative teensy guys I use Montreal Seasoning with some extra garlic powder, grated mixed peppercorns, extra cumin, sumac, and then I add a bunch of fresh herbs from my little herb garden mainly rosemary, tarragon, sage, thyme and savory with a LITTLE oregano tossed in. The crust is unbelievably good.

As far as how long to cook your monster I couldn't even guess. That's at least three times the size of the biggest I ever cook.

That's a big ass sous vide water pot.

Have+you+ever+come+home+to+your+gf+filling+your_aa721c_4880222.jpg

I'm doing a rib roast at Christmas for the first time. My FIL always did one. He passed away in June this year. I want to keep his tradition going. He always did it on his gas grill with a rotisserie. Should I try it out on that (I've never used it) or do it on the egg that I'm more familiar with?

Anyone have a recipe/technique to get a nice salty herb crust on the roast? Anything I've done falls off in the grill/oven.

Anyone have a recipe/technique to get a nice salty herb crust on the roast? Anything I've done falls off in the grill/oven.

I don't do anything special to keep it on and never noticed it falling off. Maybe you're not using fresh herbs or it's too dry when you start if you're using all dry?

From a quick Google it seems like those who wanted a thick crust used either mayo, Dijon mustard or both spread on the outside to hold on the crust. I've never had to do that but I use plenty of fresh herbs and their juices as they boil away mixing with the fat is probably the "glue".

Reactions: nynole1
@BOwens21 For whatever reason my companies security doesn't like smokingmeats.com. They have great forums that have lots of recipes. Everybody has their own but there are prime rib directions on one thread that has thousands of positive reviews. I'll post it later...highly recommend you do it on the smoker.

I'm doing a rib roast at Christmas for the first time. My FIL always did one. He passed away in June this year. I want to keep his tradition going. He always did it on his gas grill with a rotisserie. Should I try it out on that (I've never used it) or do it on the egg that I'm more familiar with?

Keep the tradition of cooking a rib roast. Ditch the tradition of a rotisserie.

Reactions: BOwens21
From a quick Google it seems like those who wanted a thick crust used either mayo, Dijon mustard or both spread on the outside to hold on the crust. I've never had to do that but I use plenty of fresh herbs and their juices as they boil away mixing with the fat is probably the "glue".

Yeah, I think I used mustard and it didn't hold. And now, I definitely didn't use fresh herbs. Mainly looking for the salt and pepper to stick. Might mix just a little bit of brown sugar in it and see if that helps.

That's a monster. I'm probably going to do a 6-7 pounds for Christmas Eve. I'm going to sous vide it this time. I need the oven for some other things and the smoker will be occupied. Should be interesting.
I'm already getting warnings from my wife that I better not take over the whole kitchen lol

Recipe I actually made it up. Horseradish, olive oil, rosemary, Italian parsley, thyme, lots of garlic, sea salt and pepper. Put into food processor and make into a paste.

Coat the roast a day before and wrap with plastic wrap.

Truss the roast and add to spit.

300° on the Joe. Wrap the bone ends with aluminum foil to keep from burning.

Cook to 120° internal temp and then wrap for 20 minutes with aluminum foil.

Take pictures and served with mashed potatoes and broccolini.

Enjoy listening your family make delicious noises.

If any follows me on Instagram I have pictures there.

Recipe I actually made it up. Horseradish, olive oil, rosemary, Italian parsley, thyme, lots of garlic, sea salt and pepper. Put into food processor and make into a paste.

images

That’s in the oven? You didn’t wrap the whole thing in foil?

Never done it, but there is a famous recipe out there where you cook it for a set time in an oven, then turn off the oven and let it sit in there for another set period of time depending on the weight. It's supposed to come out perfect everytime. Linked a popular and couple yrs running thread on rib roast from the main board that talks about this one and a few others that have been tried by members.

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/prime-rib-recipe.346682/

Never done it, but there is a famous recipe out there where you cook it for a set time in an oven, then turn off the oven and let it sit in there for another set period of time depending on the weight. It's supposed to come out perfect everytime. Linked a popular and couple yrs running thread on rib roast from the main board that talks about this one and a few others that have been tried by members.

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/prime-rib-recipe.346682/
That only works if the seal on your oven door is really good. I tried it a few years ago and the center of the roast was way under. My daughter did it using her brand new oven and it came out perfectly.

I've got a new bbq rub about to come to market that I'll be using on two standing rib roasts for Christmas dinner it's going to be delicious.

I made it for beef but I use it on Pork as well. The first rub i came out with is for pork and poultry. This one is a variation of that but targeted for beef though I also use it on Pork. I compete in bbq comps on weekends and came up with these rubs over the years while competing.

I made it for beef but I use it on Pork as well. The first rub I came out with is for pork and poultry. This one is a variation of that but targeted for beef though I also use it on Pork. I compete in bbq comps on weekends and came up with these rubs over the years while competing.
I knew you competed but didn't know you were marketing rubs. While I don't compete anymore, I do still cook a lot and usually make my own rubs. Those for pork and beef have several common ingredients but some are different as is the texture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT