ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Paul Orndorff............Urban Legend Says............

Fear the Spear

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Paul Orndorff may have been the 2nd best and freakiest college athlete behind Ron Simmons to play college football in the state of Florida but not make a mark in the NFL. They say the guy was one hell of a college football player and a natural freak. He could have played in the league, he could have played MLB and he had the potential to be a professional bodybuilder in the IFBB. Of course he picked rasslin.

I remember him as a kid. The guy turned on Hulk Hogan about every 2 years. 😆 His cause of death was dementia believed to be caused by repeated concussions in college and from his days wrestling. He played college ball at the university of Tampa and was inducted into their HOF in 1986. He's also a member of the WWE HOF. RIP Paul Orndorff

Orndorff famous heel turn on Hogan

Paul Orndorff may have been the 2nd best and freakiest college athlete behind Ron Simmons to play college football in the state of Florida but not make a mark in the NFL. They say the guy was one hell of a college football player and a natural freak. He could have played in the league, he could have played MLB and he had the potential to be a professional bodybuilder in the IFBB. Of course he picked rasslin.

I remember him as a kid. The guy turned on Hulk Hogan about every 2 years. 😆 His cause of death was dementia believed to be caused by repeated concussions in college and from his days wrestling. He played college ball at the university of Tampa and was inducted into their HOF in 1986. He's also a member of the WWE HOF. RIP Paul Orndorff

Orndorff famous heel turn on Hogan
Dementia....unboubtedly tied to football and wrestling trauma. Gone at 71, which is pretty young....but long-term participation in "football" and "wrestling" are not conducive to long life spans.

UTampa was a phenomenal college football program back in the day. And it is the unofficial capitol of professional wrestling.....SOOOO MANY incredible wrestlers with ties to the 813.

Godspeed to Paul Orndorff and his family.

Reactions: Fear the Spear
Before made he made the big time he was a regular in Dothan Al. Tallahassee, and Pensacola. He would switch sides a lot back then to. Made a better good guy than a bad guy.

Before made he made the big time he was a regular in Dothan Al. Tallahassee, and Pensacola. He would switch sides a lot back then to. Made a better good guy than a bad guy.
Tim Woods, a/k/a Mr. Wrestling, was a heel in Georgia, but simultaneously a Baby Face in Florida. Gordon Solie was the emcee for both productions. I guess they assumed people never traveled between the two states. LOL.

Tim Woods, a/k/a Mr. Wrestling, was a heel in Georgia, but simultaneously a Baby Face in Florida. Gordon Solie was the emcee for both productions. I guess they assumed people never traveled between the two states. LOL.
IT was before the days of cable and were in the middle of Dothan, Tally and Pcola. We could turn the antenna just right and pick up each station. Solie was not involved with Dothan but he was with the other 2.the wrestling pro was always a bad guy in Dothan but he was always a good guy in P'cola..

I didn't grow up in Florida but I've always heard Florida championship wrestling was awesome in the 70s and mid 80s. I saw a clip on youtube at the Tallahassee sports stadium sold out in 1976 the main event was Dusty Rhodes vs the Big Cat Ernie Ladd 😆

And then there was Mr. Wrestling II (Johnny Walker) who was a heel but made a face turn and was very popular on Georgia Championship Wrestling for years.

He wrestled previously in Florida as The Grappler. He and Woods would team up from time to time as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT