ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Ponder & barstool?

Even if she is a horrible writer, she's not wrong. Portnoy and his cronies are awful people who thrive in dudebro culture.

Define “awful people.” Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them mad humans.

And WTH is dudebro culture? Sounds like a word invented by women who live for their pets and middle management careers and convince themselves they don’t need a companion to be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lurker1999
Define “awful people.” Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them mad humans.

And WTH is dudebro culture? Sounds like a word invented by women who live for their pets and middle management careers and convince themselves they don’t need a companion to be happy.
Sounds like you may be a dudebro...

Encouraging people to harass others, harassing others, calling women sluts, stuff like that. It's part of dudebro culture, dudebro.

And WTH is dudebro culture?
I’ll take a shot...

Man-child midset of uempathetically reveling in immature humor, benefiting from / propagating the misfortune of others, and feigning victimhood when others finally call them out on their self serving and at times abusive behavior.

It’s like the “old boys club” but with Instagram, a victim complex, and a knack for intentionally thinly veiled trolling.

I’ll take a shot...

Man-child midset of uempathetically reveling in immature humor, benefiting from / propagating the misfortune of others, and feigning victimhood when others finally call them out on their self serving and at times abusive behavior.

It’s like the “old boys club” but with Instagram, a victim complex, and a knack for intentionally thinly veiled trolling.

Pretty good description. Would add practicing casual misogyny to that.

Barstool approaches topics completely different than the traditional ESPN approach. They aren’t missogomist a-holes for doing so. They just speak frankly and do not care about hurting feelings or what others think in the process. They say their viewpoints just as one would from a.....barstool.

That’s their approach, and some people like it. Actually, so many people like that their business is growing exponentially.

Meanwhile, ESPN is losing viewership....wonder where those lost eyeballs are going...hmmmmm

Again...ESPN actually did something smart by giving Barstool a late night show and investing into innovation. It’s sad that old farts who are stuck in their ways made them go back to doing what isn’t working.

And again...Barstool Sports is great. They aren’t bad guys, they are normal, just like one would talk from a barstool, or on an internet message board, except they aren’t scared and hiding behind a screen name.

Barstool approaches topics completely different than the traditional ESPN approach. They aren’t missogomist a-holes for doing so. They just speak frankly and do not care about hurting feelings or what others think in the process. They say their viewpoints just as one would from a.....barstool.

I don’t know enough about Barstool or this dispute to form an opinion, but, generally speaking, do we really need more people “speaking frankly” and not caring about hurting feelings or caring what others think?

I’m certainly not saying the safe space/micro aggression folks are correct either, but don’t think this is the right response.

I don’t know enough about Barstool or this dispute to form an opinion, but, generally speaking, do we really need more people “speaking frankly” and not caring about hurting feelings or caring what others think?

I’m certainly not saying the safe space/micro aggression folks are correct either, but don’t think this is the right response.

We don’t.

ESPN just needs to give Stephen A more airtime :rolleyes:

That’s their approach, and some people like it. Actually, so many people like that their business is growing exponentially.

Meanwhile, ESPN is losing viewership....wonder where those lost eyeballs are going...hmmmmm

Again...ESPN actually did something smart by giving Barstool a late night show and investing into innovation. It’s sad that old farts who are stuck in their ways made them go back to doing what isn’t working.

And again...Barstool Sports is great. They aren’t bad guys, they are normal, just like one would talk from a barstool, or on an internet message board, except they aren’t scared and hiding behind a screen name.
Your entire post summarized into fewer words is, “Barstool is winning the race to the bottom. I like it.”

Oh and I’d hardly call their regressive behavior “innovation”, it’s just the opposite.

I don't get the hurt feelings comment. Are they talking about actual sports, or are they doing the ESPN thing where spend 23 hours a day gossiping about off-the-field stuff?

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
Portnoy filmed a Barstool blogger in the shower without his consent, then called his employee “crazy” after he vigorously and repeatedly objected; he also told another 20-year-old employee her looks would deteriorate in five years, such that she wouldn’t be worth putting in front of the camera (the employee fled the radio segment in tears); Portnoy wondered on-air if Harvey Weinstein should be able to offer roles in movies in exchange for consensual sex, and he wrote blogposts mocking the appearance of Deadspin’s editor in chief and the editorial director of Gizmodo Media Group, both of whom are women; Portnoy, Katz, and another Barstool blogger argued that, awful or not, Corey Lewandowski saying “womp, womp”—because a 10-year-old with Down syndrome was separated from her parents at the border—was actually hysterical; a clause in the contract offered to prospective female employees of Barstool stated that they would be unable to object to or be offended by “nudity, sexual scenarios, racial epithets, suggestive gestures, profanity, and references to stereotypes” in the workplace; Markovich wrote a blog post in which he described a 16-year-old girl as “hot,” and a Barstool Radio host described Olympian Chloe Kim, age 17, as a “little hot piece of ass” (the latter was fired); Barstool’s senior director of editorial strategy and growth wrote a blog post fat-shaming Rihanna (the post was deleted, and he eventually left Barstool); during “The Rundown,” a Fox Sports reporter told racist jokes while Portnoy, Katz, and Clancy chortled; the individual manning Barstool’s Twitch channel threatened to swat someone; Barstool’s main Twitter account shared a video in which Portnoy sang the N-word while Clancy cringed in the background; and a Barstool intern nicknamed “Cervix Killer” sent repeated and highly sexualized texts to another female intern.

Portnoy joked that a woman wearing size 6 skinny jeans “kind of deserve to be raped right?”; he joked that while “we don’t condone rape,” should a woman pass out at one of their “Blackout” parties, any sexual assault is “kind of a gray area”; he referred to critics of the parties as “crazy bitches” and “ugly dykes”; Portnoy wrote a blog post snarling that he was “bringing back the word ‘c--t’”; Barstool promoted this since-deleted blog post with the headline: “Slut Reporter Drinks Cam Newton’s Jizz”; and he said that anyone who blocked traffic while protesting state-sanctioned violence and the racist policing of African Americans “deserves to die a horrible gruesome slow death,” and “Not enough bad things can happen to these people. I want them all harassed, dead, murdered.”

I don't know why the text is crossed out, but surely you can deal with it.

Portnoy joked that a woman wearing size 6 skinny jeans “kind of deserve to be raped right?”; he joked that while “we don’t condone rape,” should a woman pass out at one of their “Blackout” parties, any sexual assault is “kind of a gray area”; he referred to critics of the parties as “crazy bitches” and “ugly dykes”; Portnoy wrote a blog post snarling that he was “bringing back the word ‘c--t’”; Barstool promoted this since-deleted blog post with the headline: “Slut Reporter Drinks Cam Newton’s Jizz”; and he said that anyone who blocked traffic while protesting state-sanctioned violence and the racist policing of African Americans “deserves to die a horrible gruesome slow death,” and “Not enough bad things can happen to these people. I want them all harassed, dead, murdered.”

Samantha Bee and FX think he's woefully late to the party. The brits and most of the world just think we are a bunch of prudes.

Based on his bonafides above, he should probably run for office in NY, California or Chicago.

il_fullxfull.1390149100_agb2.jpg

Samantha Bee and FX think he's woefully late to the party. The brits and most of the world just think we are a bunch of prudes.

Based on his bonafides above, he should probably run for office in NY, California or Chicago.

il_fullxfull.1390149100_agb2.jpg

Stating someone deserves to be raped, and that's the part you focus on. Okay then.

Stating someone deserves to be raped, and that's the part you focus on. Okay then.

You probably shoulda stopped at two lines, instead of adding six more lines that invited additional comment. As I stated previously, he/they are not my cup of tea.

Funny, I almost started a thread about this last week as during game day 9 days ago, they were confiscating the baby blue shirts from people in the stands. The ones with Sam and a clown nose on. Seems the barstool had a number of articles about Sam and the subject crossed the line for appropriate. ESPN may not be "journalism" anymore, they certainly try to present themselves in a professional fashion.

While I do go to barstool.com some, I don't see why people have an issue with ESPN opting out of a relationship with Barstool. Some content is good sports analysis, but they do have a number of running bits that women could/would/should find offensive and ESPN was well within their rights to distance themselves. Sam exposed this, ESPN took the high road and Barstool got pissed.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Funny, I almost started a thread about this last week as during game day 9 days ago, they were confiscating the baby blue shirts from people in the stands. The ones with Sam and a clown nose on. Seems the barstool had a number of articles about Sam and the subject crossed the line for appropriate. ESPN may not be "journalism" anymore, they certainly try to present themselves in a professional fashion.

While I do go to barstool.com some, I don't see why people have an issue with ESPN opting out of a relationship with Barstool. Some content is good sports analysis, but they do have a number of running bits that women could/would/should find offensive and ESPN was well within their rights to distance themselves. Sam exposed this, ESPN took the high road and Barstool got pissed.

I don't disagree with any of this.

but at the same time, I would not of had a problem with ESPN exploring a show from barstool either.

Every new show or personality they put out there now is the same ole thing imo.

And I'll say it one more time even though it was disregarded because some on here think that ESPN is supposed to have more journalistic integrity than Warchant/Rivals (and need i remind you that ESPN stands for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network...and that's with the Entertainment in front of Sports) But adding a late night show geared to the Barstool audience is no different that WC adding this message board that we are currently using now. From a business perspective it would have drawn in the younger audiance who like the hot takes and would give ESPN a new avenue to bring on new advertisers and to also get a new perspective from a show that is not hosted by a former Linebacker or Stephen A Smith.

But again...they took the road less traveled and that's okay too. whatever

Not defending Portnoy or Barstool, but was this a factual "she should be raped" or a tasteless joke? Rape isn't funny and I'd rather not joke about it, but comedy is an arena where taboo topics get tossed around freely. Whether ESPN should associate with that kind of comedy is their decision to make (and it doesn't bother me at all that they chose to pull the plug on the partnership) but there's a world of difference between bad jokes and rapists.

Warchant mods don't allow targeted harassment, calling for the rape of some people, stuff like that. So, no, that's not a good analogy.

i didn't agree with them posting that comment and it was in poor taste. If they said that on their ESPN show they would have been cancelled.

Not defending Portnoy or Barstool, but was this a factual "she should be raped" or a tasteless joke? Rape isn't funny and I'd rather not joke about it, but comedy is an arena where taboo topics get tossed around freely. Whether ESPN should associate with that kind of comedy is their decision to make (and it doesn't bother me at all that they chose to pull the plug on the partnership) but there's a world of difference between bad jokes and rapists.

It was absolutely a tasteless joke, that I agree went too far. His main point was saying, girls don't dress in a way that might tempt a rapiest to rape you if that is something you genuinely have fear about when going out late at night.

It's the same thing every father says to their daughter when they leave the house for the club.

They were not in anyway endorsing rape and those who say they were are being dramatic.

Rape jokes aren't funny either.

It was absolutely a tasteless joke, that I agree went too far. His main point was saying, girls don't dress in a way that might tempt a rapiest to rape you if that is something you genuinely have fear about when going out late at night.

It's the same thing every father says to their daughter when they leave the house for the club.

They were not in anyway endorsing rape and those who say they were are being dramatic.

My friends were raped wearing pants, one was wearing a sweatshirt. It doesn't matter what victims wear. Just stop.

My friends were raped wearing pants, one was wearing a sweatshirt. It doesn't matter what victims wear. Just stop.

I didn't agree with him....and it was a tasteless joke. They don't believe that people should be raped at all....again, it was a tasteless joke meant to make people just like you squirm and threads just like this to appear.

But again...they took the road less traveled and that's okay too. whatever
You’d be crazy to associate your company w a volatile nut job like Portnoy.

Don’t hire people you can’t fire. Don’t make business partnerships with partners you can’t get rid of. No matter why or when espn ever decided to end the partnership it’s almost a guarantee that clown would publicly flip out.

Simply not a stable individual. Barstool might want to fire him if they ever want to be exposed to a broader audience.

Don’t hire people you can’t fire. Don’t make business partnerships with partners you can’t get rid of. No matter why or when espn ever decided to end the partnership it’s almost a guarantee that clown would publicly flip out.

Simply not a stable individual. Barstool might want to fire him if they ever want to be exposed to a broader audience.

I actually was going to say, I applaud ESPN (which I rarely do). I felt they were taking a stand for one of their employees, which feels rare these days. Esp in the face of possible market expansion / possible profit. They started moving forward, relized a potential mistake and corrected before it went way wrong.

Read the comments on the barstoolsports, they would HAVE to monitor and edit the site, which is not something barstool would want either. That is not a customer base Disney wants to associate with. Period.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich

they did hire and fire them btw

they did hire and fire them btw
Yup and predictably Portnoy flipped out and made harassing Ponder a life priority.

This is why you don't do business with unsavory unhinged clowns like this dude. Potential profits aren't worth the risks people like him and his followers bring to the table.

There are some really smart, clever, relateable web/social media presences out there with significant (if not broader and more diverse) follower bases that are likely to stick around number longer and bring far fewer risks to the table, while boosting ESPN's brand value.

Reactions: Wendy79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT