ADVERTISEMENT

Scarface

SeaPA

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Dec 17, 2002
is veeeeeery hard to watch on a regular tv station that deletes all the swear words. This particular station just deletes the swearing & leaves silence. Tony Montana's lips sure do move a lot without him saying anything.

is veeeeeery hard to watch on a regular tv station that deletes all the swear words. This particular station just deletes the swearing & leaves silence. Tony Montana's lips sure do move a lot without him saying anything.

That movie is hard to watch regardless. Easily one of the most overrated movies of all time. Its popularity is due to hip hop culture alone.

That movie is hard to watch regardless. Easily one of the most overrated movies of all time. Its popularity is due to hip hop culture alone.

Agree. I couldn't believe when I finally watched it how silly and stupid it was. I guess I get it as sort of a fun throwaway, but it's been mischaracterized as a great film.

I liked it it. It was the Miami version of the Godfather. sure, a little over the top, but it was the 80s.

I also liked the Brazillian version, City of God.

I liked it it. It was the Miami version of the Godfather. sure, a little over the top, but it was the 80s.

I also liked the Brazillian version, City of God.

IMO, City of God was a much better movie.

I put it together with the Godfather. A good movie for its time and place in history that is ridiculously overrated in contemporary rankings. I'd rather see other movies like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wizard of Oz or dozens of Hitchcock movies than either of these two.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I put it together with the Godfather. A good movie for its time and place in history that is ridiculously overrated in contemporary rankings. I'd rather see other movies like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wizard of Oz or dozens of Hitchcock movies than either of these two.

You are putting The Godfather in the same sentence as Scarface? Really?

Ha ha - in retrospect the studio scene where Tony shoots Frank is really dumb. You wonder how the actors did it with straight faces.

I like Scarface, even though its now apparently cool to say Scarface sux. Not in my all time top ten or anything, but I like it and will watch it again.

Reactions: BrianNole09
The double barreled gold plated cole straw made Scarface a winner

You are putting The Godfather in the same sentence as Scarface? Really?

You just put them in the same sentence.

what i meant is that the plot of Scarface and City of God is basically a re-work of The Godfather, just like West Side Story is a rework of Romeo and Juliet.

You just put them in the same sentence.

what i meant is that the plot of Scarface and City of God is basically a re-work of The Godfather, just like West Side Story is a rework of Romeo and Juliet.

ha ha yes, it all intertwines -

The original Scarface debuted in 1932, Scarface #2 in 1983. The Godfather book was published in 1969, the first movie 1972.

And of course the granddaddy, The Public Enemy, dates to 1931.

I just don't see the Godfather that way at all. I think it's a great epic story with a ton to unpack, and made incredibly well. I don't think it seems dated.

I do think Godfather II is slightly overrated. There's still a ton of great stuff in there, but I think it's awesome but flawed, not unlike Apocalypse Now.

I just don't see the Godfather that way at all. I think it's a great epic story with a ton to unpack, and made incredibly well. I don't think it seems dated.

I do think Godfather II is slightly overrated. There's still a ton of great stuff in there, but I think it's awesome but flawed, not unlike Apocalypse Now.

I think you're thinking of Godfather through nostalgia coated glasses.

Rewatch just this scene

And just with fresh eyes see how ridiculously awful the death scenes. Horrendously poor "acting" with community stage production level special effects including set doors made from plasterboard and squibs you could buy at a Halloween store. But really it's the low level, overly dramatic deaths that just completely take away my ability to get in the movie.

Now compare that scene to a modern one from Banshee. Not some high budget Summer blockbuster but a low budget cable television series.

Rewatch just this scene

And just with fresh eyes see how ridiculously awful the death scenes. Horrendously poor "acting" with community stage production level special effects including set doors made from plasterboard and squibs you could buy at a Halloween store. But really it's the low level, overly dramatic deaths that just completely take away my ability to get in the movie.

Now compare that scene to a modern one from Banshee. Not some high budget Summer blockbuster but a low budget cable television series.

I've never watched any of The Godfather movies, and from watching that short clip it's going to stay that way.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The Godfather is definitely dated in areas, but overall a very good movie (Except for the third one). I think Scarface is just one of those movies that was only really good in the 80's and if you're watching it after becoming a fan in the 80's. I tried to watch it for the first time about 7 years ago and have tried to like it a few times since and its really just a bad movie. It doesn't hold up well at all.

The Godfather was the seminal mob movie. what makes it great is that it was first, and it was complete. but its long, slow, etc. Goodfellas is much better, but you couldn't have a Goodfellas if there was not The Godfather first.

Reactions: BrianNole09
The part that bothered me most in scar face is the shower/chain saw scene.
I mean everyone knows that a shower curtain rod wouldn't stand up to those two guys tied to it.

Rewatch just this scene

In a million years it never occurred to me that would be a reason to not like The Godfather. The entire thing is stylized...the Italian they speak is overly poetic, the scenes in Italy are ridiculously pastoral...and it's all still beautiful and awesome.

I can see someone not liking how slow it can be, but that's my first time hearing that complaint.

And my appreciation for The Godfather is not nostalgia...LOL I was a newborn when it came out. I didn't see it until decades later.

I look at Scarface as more of a period piece, a glimpse into the seedy, cocaine cowboy place that Miami once was and into the impact of the Mariel boatlift. Miami has come a long way.

Scarface is about as deep as an episode of Miami Vice. That being said, I like both.

First act - very good
Second act - good
Third act - almost unwatchable

Lots of movies end up like this - too many re-writes. Tony Montana is a great, cinematic character, but demonstrating his self-destructive side all in one act dooms the movie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT