ADVERTISEMENT

Seinfeld fans

jamnolfin

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Panama City Beach, Florida
I have never seen the episode "The Puerto Rican Day" below is the link to the 1st 2 minutes and thats all I can find. Apparently it was pulled because of controversy. From Wiki. Has anybody seen it?

"The Puerto Rican Day" is the 176th episode of the NBCsitcomSeinfeld. It aired on May 7, 1998, and was the 20th episode of the ninth and final season. It was the show's second-highest-rated episode of all time, with 38.8 million viewers, only behind the series finale. The episode aired one week before the two-part clip show and the two-part series finale aired. Because of controversy surrounding a scene in which Cosmo Krameraccidentally burns and then stomps on the Puerto Rican flag, NBC was forced to apologize and had it banned from airing on the network again. Also, it was not initially part of the syndicated package. In the summer of 2002, the episode started to appear with the flag-burning sequence intact.

I have never seen the episode "The Puerto Rican Day" below is the link to the 1st 2 minutes and thats all I can find. Apparently it was pulled because of controversy. From Wiki. Has anybody seen it?

"The Puerto Rican Day" is the 176th episode of the NBCsitcomSeinfeld. It aired on May 7, 1998, and was the 20th episode of the ninth and final season. It was the show's second-highest-rated episode of all time, with 38.8 million viewers, only behind the series finale. The episode aired one week before the two-part clip show and the two-part series finale aired. Because of controversy surrounding a scene in which Cosmo Krameraccidentally burns and then stomps on the Puerto Rican flag, NBC was forced to apologize and had it banned from airing on the network again. Also, it was not initially part of the syndicated package. In the summer of 2002, the episode started to appear with the flag-burning sequence intact.

I remember it from when it first aired. Seinfeld was at its absolute peak, DVR was not invented yet and everyone I knew was talking Seinfeld and waiting for it to air. Seinfeld is probably the last of an era. Now we record everything and no one really water cooler talks about a show because everyone watches them at different times.

Reactions: Bartdog

I thought Seinfeld really grew and got better with time. For me some of the very early years weren't that funny at all (with some exceptions, like maybe "The Pony Remark"). But by the latter years when the writers and actors were fully in tune with what made the show work, they were just cranking out high quality episodes week after week. I ended up buying something like seasons 5 through 9.

That said, I found the Puerto Rican Day to be a real dud. Just not at all up to their usual standards. I think they were trying to recreate what made the episode funny where they were all stuck waiting for a table in a Chinese restaurant, only in the setting of being stuck in the parade route. When I got the DVD set and finally watched it, I thought to myself "Well that's why this was never on TV, it's no good". I didn't find out about the controversy til later....

But all that said, now I'm gonna try and pull it out this week and watch it. It's always possible I was in some kind of odd mood and just couldn't appreciate it. :)

I think so. I believe the two gay guys that always bust up Cosmo saw him do it.

Those guys were in three episodes-- they were fantastic and Kramer was completely afraid of them.

Seinfeld is the best comedy IMO. Even better than Cheers. The '94 and '95 seasons of Seinfeld were the best.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Seinfeld is the best comedy IMO. Even better than Cheers.
Yep. I thought it was even better as well

The '94 and '95 seasons of Seinfeld were the best.

Those were great years -- they hit a stride and really started doing great work assembly line style. Yet when I think of a Seinfeld "masterpiece", the first one I think of came in 1993 with "The Cigar Store Indian"

Those were great years -- they hit a stride and really started doing great work assembly line style. Yet when I think of a Seinfeld "masterpiece", the first one I think of came in 1993 with "The Cigar Store Indian"

The Jimmy was on last night, that's a great one also.

My favorite all time episode of Seinfeld was "The Doll"-- everything going on in this episdoe is hilarious. Susan's doll that looks like George's mother--- look at this: . George has to be the best character created for a comedy ever....

In addition in this episode-- Elaine was dealing with "The Maestro" and Cosmo and Frank Constanza had the place to be (billiards room at George's parents house).... Fantastic episode.

Trivia question for the hard core Seinfeld fans:
In the clip I posted above, in the restaurant, as George and his mother (err doll) leave George says "oh hi Nina"... Nina then says something along the lines of how he should be locked up in a mental institute.

Can anyone tell me who she was in the show and why she played the perfect spot at that time? I know-- I'll be back tomorrow to see who gets it right-- if anyone.

I realize I'm the only American to say this, but I never found the show funny at all. Why people get all goo-goo over a sitcom about dysfunctional New Yorkers is beyond me. His stand up act I like, but I never got the show.

I realize I'm the only American to say this, but I never found the show funny at all. Why people get all goo-goo over a sitcom about dysfunctional New Yorkers is beyond me. His stand up act I like, but I never got the show.

Booooo. Hisssssss. Love the Sein.

The show was brilliant. For almost all random situations in every day life (of New Yorkers or others), there is a funny Seinfeld episode reference. It is funny because most of the scenes, people can say that they've been in a situation like that and Seinfeld just made it funnier and more absurd.

In the clip I posted above, in the restaurant, as George and his mother (err doll) leave George says "oh hi Nina"... Nina then says something along the lines of how he should be locked up in a mental institute.

Can anyone tell me who she was in the show and why she played the perfect spot at that time? I know-- I'll be back tomorrow to see who gets it right-- if anyone.

Wasn't she from his old neighborhood and thought he was crazy. Blamed his car breaking down on her dad?

Never liked the show or his standup act.

Deena was the neighbor of George's parents and sister of childhood friend Lloyd Braun. George was caught on the street wearing a King Henry VIII costume that Kramer wanted him to wear to promote a local theater. That was also the episode that Jerry had to pretend to wear glasses and bought a hundred dollars worth of gum to convince Lloyd Braun that he is not crazy. Elaine losses a button off of her blouse and is flashing everyone. Pure Gold!!!!!

t
bp-eag7cuaa_jm6-jpg-large.jpeg

372949cdf88f5e9a6b6654dfbe575c5b.jpg

She was the author who requested that Elaine be her editor, or she would go to another publisher.

Good lord, you people know waaaaaaaaay too much about that show.

My favorite all time episode of Seinfeld was "The Doll"-- everything going on in this episdoe is hilarious. Susan's doll that looks like George's mother--- look at this: . George has to be the best character created for a comedy ever....

In addition in this episode-- Elaine was dealing with "The Maestro" and Cosmo and Frank Constanza had the place to be (billiards room at George's parents house).... Fantastic episode.
The billiards scene in the tiny room with conductor sticks and no pants is an all-time classic. Love the marks on the wall while Kramer used long pool stick.

I love the one where George gets grapefruit in his eye and keeps winking inappropriately. Oh it's a scene man.

Yep any idea what episode she was in previously?

She was in the episode you originally posted.Previously, She was in the episode that maddog69 listed where she thinks George is going crazy (like her Dad).

She is also in a later episode where Steinbrenner has George committed and she sees him when she goes to visit her Dad (which completes the joke).

Reactions: colonelburke
Deena was the neighbor of George's parents and sister of childhood friend Lloyd Braun. George was caught on the street wearing a King Henry VIII costume that Kramer wanted him to wear to promote a local theater. That was also the episode that Jerry had to pretend to wear glasses and bought a hundred dollars worth of gum to convince Lloyd Braun that he is not crazy. Elaine losses a button off of her blouse and is flashing everyone. Pure Gold!!!!!

t
bp-eag7cuaa_jm6-jpg-large.jpeg

372949cdf88f5e9a6b6654dfbe575c5b.jpg

Well done-- another fantastic episode

George likes his chicken spicy and counting his royalties.

Puerto Rican day episode was hilarious as many were. I remember it, but not whether I saw it when originally aired or in syndication.

I’m glad some people were able to enjoy that one as much as other ‘late model’ episodes. I tried it again last night and I just can’t get into that one much. But I did enjoy Kramer, George and Jerry at different times all sneaking into the multimillion dollar Apmt up for rental on the parade route, just to use the bathroom or watch TV, and pretending to be “H.E. PennyPacker, Art Vandalay”, and the wealthy rival “Mr. Varnsen.”

Would have been fun to see a bit more of the Gay street toughs Bob and Cedric

Last edited:
enjoyed the puerto rican day episode, although it portrayed the PRs and guys a bit unforably. nothing too severe, but the sort of thing you'd have to apolgize for these days.

as for Kenny Rogers, that episode was based on a true story. there really was a kenny rogers located at broadway and 71st on the upper west side, and they had a really bright neon sign. There was really a guy who lived above it (not Kramer) who got ticked at them and painted a sign that said "bad chicken" with an arrow pointing down. (I have a friend who still lives on 71st).

0kT2IdZ.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/seinfeld-stories-happened-in-real-life_n_7648326.html

Reactions: HulaNole

Exact opposite, love the show and not real impressed with the standup. Seinfeld is the smartest comedy ever, they set up every episode perfectly where everything coincides and feeds off of other events on the show. They squeeze a lot into a 30 minute episode.

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
The billiards scene in the tiny room with conductor sticks and no pants is an all-time classic. Love the marks on the wall while Kramer used long pool stick.

Is that the one where Georges father tries on the bro/manssiere and Kramer is putting it on him when his mother walks in the room "OH my God!" . They have their pants off to keep the crease perfect like the maestro showed them. Thats a classic

Seinfeld has held up well and is still funny.

The one thing I do not like anymore is that Seinfeld used a laugh track. Really annoying and forced. I've gotten used to great shows like The Office, Modern Family and others where the writing is good enough you don't need it. Seinfeld would've been fine on its own as well.

"The air so dewy sweet you don't even have to lick the stamps" What perfect characters, Kramer, George, Newman. Seinfeld kind of reminds me of the old Andy Griffith shows. A stand up comedian that leads his own show with his name but he's surrounded by such great and funny actors that he is just happy to let the show evolve into something great.

Is that the one where Georges father tries on the bro/manssiere and Kramer is putting it on him when his mother walks in the room "OH my God!" . They have their pants off to keep the crease perfect like the maestro showed them. Thats a classic

The Oh my God was said by Estelle in the episode but it wasn't the bro/ manssiere episode. She says it when Cosmo is showing Frank how to follow through with the conductor stick and they are both in their boxers. A trick the learned from the maestro. Again so much is going on in this episode-- my favorite of all time.

She did also say it in the manssiere episode I believe...

Seinfeld has held up well and is still funny.

The one thing I do not like anymore is that Seinfeld used a laugh track. Really annoying and forced. I've gotten used to great shows like The Office, Modern Family and others where the writing is good enough you don't need it. Seinfeld would've been fine on its own as well.

This was the 90's--- didn't all comedy's use the laugh track then? The Office changed things...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT