ADVERTISEMENT

Septoplasty

ChiefWB

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Sep 30, 2014
Huntersville, NC
Anyone have any experience with this procedure? I have had a deviated septum for 40 years and it is to the point where one nostril is basically shut. Does the surgery help? Any additional advice? TIA.

My Dad did it. It was super helpful once it was over.....he slept better and he said his mind was clearer during the day... but the recovery was initially very painful, Be prepared to get some strong scripts!!

Reactions: ChiefWB
I did this a few years ago because I kept getting very bad sinus infections. The surgery "cured" that but did nothing for my snoring.
As for the pain, it was rough for a few days, but I did it strictly with otc pain reducers, no chance I was taking anything the doctor prescribed after seeing some people I know battle addiction. I remember the doctor seeing me the day after surgery and said he could tell by the look on my face that I wasn't taking the prescription lol

Last edited:
I had sinus surgery a couple years ago. Had to straighten septum too. It was not fun, but I also didn't take any prescribed pain meds. It was more uncomfortable than painful. From what my ENT said, the surgery used to be much much worse. They used to pack the nasal/sinus cavity with literally rolls and rolls of guaze to keep things in place and removing that was very painful. For me, it was just hard plastic or silicon splints used to brace things and it wasn't bad when those came out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiefWB and nynole1
I had sinus surgery a couple years ago. Had to straighten septum too. It was not fun, but I also didn't take anything prescribed pain meds. It was more uncomfortable than painful. From what my ENT said, the surgery used to be much much worse. They used to pack the nasal/sinus cavity with literally rolls and rolls of guaze to keep things in place and removing that was very painful. For me, it was just hard plastic or silicon splints used to brace things and it wasn't bad when those came out.
Agreed, it wasn't as painful as my wisdom teeth being removed and taking no meds.

I had this done. It can reset if you hit your nose too hard, or so I was told, so be careful. Good luck to you.

Thanks. Having it done August 31st which means no beer of the FSU v ND game. I’m not as reckless with my face as I once was so hopefully I can avoid re-injuring it.
I'll be sure to drink enough for the both of us then!

It sounds like you have it pretty bad. I think this may give you some relief.

I'll be sure to drink enough for the both of us then!

It sounds like you have it pretty bad. I think this may give you some relief.
Doctor said he has seen worse deviated septum’s. But that my turbinates were blocking most airflow. I am hopeful it will make a positive difference.

Reactions: Dhersh
Dont be surprised if your surgery is pushed back. Most elective cases are being pushed back right now. I hope you’re able to get it done but I know in cardiology there’s just about nothing being done that’s elective.

Reactions: ChiefWB and Dhersh
Dont be surprised if your surgery is pushed back. Most elective cases are being pushed back right now. I hope you’re able to get it done but I know in cardiology there’s just about nothing being done that’s elective.
I’m resigned to that reality. I’d really like to get it over with but understand the situation.

I finally had the procedure oh August 31. Outpatient. Initially they had trouble intubating me. After cutting up the inside of my mouth they were able to get the tube in. Fixed the septum. Shaved the turbinates and cut back some bone blocking my nasal passage. Came out of anesthesia fine although I lost my wedding ring (2nd time) that was luckily recovered the next day. From there the next week was brutal. Pain, blood, mucus. All day. Every day. Stents were removed two days ago. Still a bunch of pain and mucus. Like having a bad sinus infection. But I can breath. And that is really awesome after a few decades blocked up. Hoping to be back at it on Monday. Glad to have it behind me.

I finally had the procedure oh August 31. Outpatient. Initially they had trouble intubating me. After cutting up the inside of my mouth they were able to get the tube in. Fixed the septum. Shaved the turbinates and cut back some bone blocking my nasal passage. Came out of anesthesia fine although I lost my wedding ring (2nd time) that was luckily recovered the next day. From there the next week was brutal. Pain, blood, mucus. All day. Every day. Stents were removed two days ago. Still a bunch of pain and mucus. Like having a bad sinus infection. But I can breath. And that is really awesome after a few decades blocked up. Hoping to be back at it on Monday. Glad to have it behind me.
Sounds consistent with what other people have said. Doesn’t sound like a pleasant experience but short term sacrifice for a long term better quality of life. Congrats

Sounds consistent with what other people have said. Doesn’t sound like a pleasant experience but short term sacrifice for a long term better quality of life. Congrats
Thanks. That’s what I keep telling myself that a few months from now I will hopefully see life changing results. I picked a good weekend to be laid up with all the football. 😁

Whoa. That sounds absolutely awful. Glad you are trending up and that the worst part is behind you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT