ADVERTISEMENT

Silence of the Lambs question

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
The Silence Of The Lambs is a top 5 movie for me. One thing that I always wondered, and it's not the most relevant thing, but still: why do you think there is a "fly" going down the side of Doctor Lecter's face while on the phone in this scene? Do you think its occurred as they were filming, no one noticed so they just left it? Or do you think it was done "on purpose" and adds to the curious nature of who Dr. Lecter is?

Link below.. ~6 seconds in

The real question is, what do you call a fly without wings?

I think they just left it in. Why not? Fits the scene just fine.

It's possible they didn't see it at the time of filming to do a new take, and back in the day, while that certainly could have been edited out frame by frame, it probably wasn't the simple no brainer it would be to digitally zap it out. That's the same reason it's almost certainly not on purpose.

Reactions: dmm5157
I think they just left it in. Why not? Fits the scene just fine.

It's possible they didn't see it at the time of filming to do a new take, and back in the day, while that certainly could have been edited out frame by frame, it probably wasn't the simple no brainer it would be to digitally zap it out. That's the same reason it's almost certainly not on purpose.

I would agree that given where Lecter is right now, in the film, it actually adds to his ambiance (and even creepiness).

Speaking of that I also just saw an interview with Jodie Foster and she admitted to never actually talking to Anthony Hopkins while they were filming (other then their lines). She said he was just to creepy... lol. That subsided afterwards though.

Looking at how good SotL was I wish they could redue Hannibal. I get the name of the film but his 15 minutes on film in SotL was astonishing (and Foster was really good as well). Hannibal could have been better...

And I'll also mention, this is one of my all time favorites. Love it. Very disappointed they couldn't have come up with worthy sequels.

Reactions: dmm5157
I thought at the time it was on purpose - when you are around dead bodies a lot, you have to deal with flies. I have no idea though.

Maybe they just liked the take, didn't realize or just liked what it added to his character. I remember the fly in Raiders as well.

I would agree that given where Lecter is right now, in the film, it actually adds to his ambiance (and even creepiness).

Speaking of that I also just saw an interview with Jodie Foster and she admitted to never actually talking to Anthony Hopkins while they were filming (other then their lines). She said he was just to creepy... lol. That subsided afterwards though.

Looking at how good SotL was I wish they could redue Hannibal. I get the name of the film but his 15 minutes on film in SotL was astonishing (and Foster was really good as well). Hannibal could have been better...

lol @ Foster calling anyone creepy. She is probably one of the strangest/most awkward actors ive ever seen.
Hopkins is probably my favorite actor of all time.

lol @ Foster calling anyone creepy. She is probably one of the strangest/most awkward actors ive ever seen.
Hopkins is probably my favorite actor of all time.

In the interview I saw I think she was referring to Hopkins being creepy because he was taken the persona of Lecter, thus the uncomfortableness.

Two of my favorite movies star Foster. This one and Contact.

Reactions: nynole1
Same. Silence and Taxi Driver.

And I'm a big fan of Inside Man as well.

She's a great actress, and maybe the greatest child actor ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT