ADVERTISEMENT

Silverado, F-150 or another truck?

I've thought about a new F-150 to replace my 03 Ranger, but I can't justify the payment or fuel considering I haul very little. Think I'll wait till the new Ranger/Bronco comes out in 2019 It's based on an Ford Australian UTE, whatever that means/looks like

I'll say the 2.7 turbo puts up close if not better mileage than the 03 Ranger.

I love my '13 Ram 1500 (yeah, it's got the Hemi), so driving a '15 F150 in Houston/Galveston a couple weeks ago was the biggest of let downs possible. It was a rental, so it didn't have the upgraded trims, but coming close to getting run over on I-45 was enough to discourage me plenty enough to switch allegiances.

I recently bought a new F150, and I also came down to it versus a Tundra. End of the day it was about looks and gas mileage for me. Even with the 4x4 I'm getting 18 mpg around town and 22-23 highway.

Interesting. Never had you pegged as a truck guy (no insult, just being honest). I'm floored by that gas mileage. Prob getting an F-150 when I'm done with this Expedition.

Buddy of mine got a new Titan recently and I was surprised at the gas mileage he was telling me he gets. Said he gets 15 city, 24 highway IIRC.

My 2007 Expedition gets around 12 city/20 hwy. Older 5.4L Triton engine, beast but horrible gas mileage. I don't drive much so not too big of a deal for me these days. The newer trucks do get much better gas mileage than even trucks a few years older. Better than my wife's V6 Explorer (only gets 17/25).

I will say that the interior of his Titan was pretty impressive. Very spacious, plenty of elbow room. Back seat was much bigger than his old Sierra crew cab. He's had F-150's as well, so far his Titan is his favorite. I didn't get to drive it, so can't comment on that but it seemed very nice. Definitely nicer than Chevy/GMC trucks I've been in.

*edit: mistakenly said Tundra earlier, meant Titan.

Last edited:
Interesting. Never had you pegged as a truck guy (no insult, just being honest). I'm floored by that gas mileage. Prob getting an F-150 when I'm done with this Expedition.

Buddy of mine got a new Tundra recently and I was surprised at the gas mileage he was telling me he gets. Said he gets 15 city, 24 highway IIRC.

My 2007 Expedition gets around 12 city/20 hwy. Older 5.4L Triton engine, beast but horrible gas mileage. I don't drive much so not too big of a deal for me these days. The newer trucks do get much better gas mileage than even trucks a few years older. Better than my wife's V6 Explorer (only gets 17/s 25).

I will say that the interior of his Tundra was pretty impressive. Very spacious, plenty of elbow room. Back seat was much bigger than his old Sierra crew cab. He's had F-150's as well, so far his Tundra is his favorite. I didn't get to drive it, so can't comment on that but it seemed very nice. Definitely nicer than Chevy/GMC trucks I've been in.
Your buddy was lying about his mileage unless Toyota made some insane improvements this year. Even the car salesman at Toyota told me his Tundra gets TERRIBLE gas mileage.

Your buddy was lying about his mileage unless Toyota made some insane improvements this year. Even the car salesman at Toyota told me his Tundra gets TERRIBLE gas mileage.

Oh Jesus, I just realized I was saying Tundra. He has a damn Nissan Titan. My bad, I got confused. Titan does get better gas mileage than Tundra.

I did look up new Tundra and it does say 15/19 online.

I love my '13 Ram 1500 (yeah, it's got the Hemi), so driving a '15 F150 in Houston/Galveston a couple weeks ago was the biggest of let downs possible. It was a rental, so it didn't have the upgraded trims, but coming close to getting run over on I-45 was enough to discourage me plenty enough to switch allegiances.

The Ram is a very nice rig. But if you are comparing your Hemi to a standard Ford V-6 -- which is what I would expect to find in a rental -- that's not a great comparison. Even so, the Ram may be the best-in-segment in terms of hauling ***. I really/really liked the Ram, but could not do the "dial" transmission. Just a personal quirk.

The good news is that Ram, Ford, Chevy, GMC and Toyota all make very fine pick-ups. In my view, it's a matter of personal taste and preference, but none is a bad choice. Each one has something the others don't, it seems.

The Ram is a very nice rig. But if you are comparing your Hemi to a standard Ford V-6 -- which is what I would expect to find in a rental -- that's not a great comparison. Even so, the Ram may be the best-in-segment in terms of hauling ***. I really/really liked the Ram, but could not do the "dial" transmission. Just a personal quirk.

The good news is that Ram, Ford, Chevy, GMC and Toyota all make very fine pick-ups. In my view, it's a matter of personal taste and preference, but none is a bad choice. Each one has something the others don't, it seems.

The truck had a hiccup in October of '13 with the WIN module, meaning I couldn't use the remote (which doubles as the key for the ignition) when the temp dropped under 65°... so I had a couple loaners for a month. One was the '13 SLT edition that had the turn dial gear shift. I did not like that at all. I don't have the upgraded model, so I still get the column shifter.

The truck had a hiccup in October of '13 with the WIN module, meaning I couldn't use the remote (which doubles as the key for the ignition) when the temp dropped under 65°... so I had a couple loaners for a month. One was the '13 SLT edition that had the turn dial gear shift. I did not like that at all. I don't have the upgraded model, so I still get the column shifter.

Definitely took me a few weeks but it makes my center console massive now.

I have a 2013 F150 XLT. No upgrades but it's great for me. The backseat is huge which means I don't get kicked in the back by my kids. We had 4 adults and 2 kids riding in it comfortably last week. I get 17 MPG or so in town (3 miles to work) and about 22 highway with the 5.0 V8.

I've never owned a Silverado but I had a Colorado for a few years and had tons of problems. I've owned 2 F150s and never had a problem with either.

Jesus, I hope so.
@HerdOfNoles : "14 more payments and this baby's all mine!" J/K..

I'll chime in here that my dad has had a couple of the nice bighorn Laramie Ram pickups and they have had a LOT of recalls lately. The 2011 is even eligible for a buy-back. My nephew has been driving it and the power steering is shot due to one of the issues. They are reluctant due to sentimental reasons, but they might have to take the buyback.

There's an old saying, if you could get a Ford pickup with the Dodge Cumins diesel and a GM Allison transmission, you'd have the perfect truck.

I replaced the Chevy Silverado ,that the cow killed. I upgraded to the 4 wheel drive Z71 LTZ. I average 21-22 on the road and about 15-16 in town. My overall mileage since I bought it, is 19.1.
I drove a tundra before these last 2 Chevys. I pretty much hated that thing. It was ugly, got terrible gas mileage and felt cheap on the inside

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT