ADVERTISEMENT

SNL "First Impressions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
source.gif

Reactions: DanC78
IBTL.

I agree it used to be a great show with all the skits (and fake ads) being funny. It definitely isn't the same show. Have discussed recording and fast forwarding through 85-90% just for the 10%. Sad state of the show.

IBTL.

I agree it used to be a great show with all the skits (and fake ads) being funny. It definitely isn't the same show. Have discussed recording and fast forwarding through 85-90% just for the 10%. Sad state of the show.
I've been saying that since Chevy Chase left. I mean, clearly if you want to be a purist you stopped watching after that. Belushi and Aykroyd thought they could carry the show on their own but really started the downward spiral.

I've been saying that since Chevy Chase left. I mean, clearly if you want to be a purist you stopped watching after that. Belushi and Aykroyd thought they could carry the show on their own but really started the downward spiral.

So I would agree that the first years it was amazing. I would say your memory of "it as best in my day and never after" reeks of old man "get off my lawn" attitude. :)

I mean, Eddie was on in the early 80s. I don't think it was in a downward spiral then. It seems there was a huge exudus in 86 however post-86 era they had Carvey, Miller, Hartman, Nealon. I thought it was still a great show until the mid 90s and possibly a bit after they lost Rock, Spade, Farley, MacDonald.

I think it was still a really good show into the mid 90s, but after that it definitely began to decline to the shell of a show that it is now.

So I would agree that the first years it was amazing. I would say your memory of "it as best in my day and never after" reeks of old man "get off my lawn" attitude. :)

I mean, Eddie was on in the early 80s. I don't think it was in a downward spiral then. It seems there was a huge exudus in 86 however post-86 era they had Carvey, Miller, Hartman, Nealon. I thought it was still a great show until the mid 90s and possibly a bit after they lost Rock, Spade, Farley, MacDonald.

I think it was still a really good show into the mid 90s, but after that it definitely began to decline to the shell of a show that it is now.

Murphy, phhpt! He had like two good sketches. You could fast forward all the way thru the 80's to get to them. Same with the 90's. FF to get to cowbell and skip the rest. Clearly you're not the purist you claim to be.

"I would say your memory of "it as best in my day and never after" reeks of old man "get off my lawn" attitude. :)"
Does it? Huh, that can't be intentional.

Murphy, phhpt! He had like two good sketches. You could fast forward all the way thru the 80's to get to them. Same with the 90's. FF to get to cowbell and skip the rest. Clearly you're not the purist you claim to be.

"I would say your memory of "it as best in my day and never after" reeks of old man "get off my lawn" attitude. :)"

Two good sketches?

White Like Me. Hot Tub. Mister Robinson’s Neighborhood. Buh wheat. Gumby. Velvet Jones. There’s a ton of them.

I'll go ahead and settle the argument between you two older gentlemen. SNL ebbs and flows. Right now, I think they need new writers. Yes, Trump is going to get punked by SNL. Every POTUS has. That said, Trump is all they seem to have now and I think the ratings bear that out.

Definitely didn't claim a purist, just said I liked it on and off. More off these days certainly. But if you are just dismissing Murphy then you have made it clear you have a elementary understanding of the comedic arts and are a dotard who should likely not be on the internet without supervision!

I don't like the layout, but the skits are still there. Buckwheat singing Wookin Pa Nub. Classic.

I say good day to you sir.

I'll go ahead and settle the argument between you two older gentlemen. SNL ebbs and flows. Right now, I think they need new writers. Yes, Trump is going to get punked by SNL. Every POTUS has. That said, Trump is all they seem to have now and I think the ratings bear that out.

Look here whippersnapper.....

Like or dislike Trump, he simply gives the SNL people more to work with. His latest objections to the show only make him more of a target.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Look here whippersnapper.....

Like or dislike Trump, he simply gives the SNL people more to work with. His latest objections to the show only make him more of a target.
I get that, but if that is all they have, they are going to continue to lose out of viewers. Again, he needs to learn how to laugh at himself some. That is what made President's like 41 and 44 good. They could take a punch without feeling the need to punch back. It just gets old when it seems that is all they have.

I get that, but if that is all they have, they are going to continue to lose out of viewers. Again, he needs to learn how to laugh at himself some. That is what made President's like 41 and 44 good. They could take a punch without feeling the need to punch back. It just gets old when it seems that is all they have.

I agree. I mean, the show is an hour and a half long but that cold open where they poke fun at him about one of the 426 embarrassing things he did during the week is too much. That's why it's obvious the show hasn't been the same since Chevy. He'd never poke fun at a sitting president.

Every SNL show has always been a mix of great sketches and complete bombs, whatever the era. Every group has had its stars and favorite characters.

Back in the days you’d watch before going out. These days I can’t even stay awake enough for the opening!

Oh, I certainly agree. Back when SNL was at its best, you know, when Eddie Murphy was there, they didn't focus on politics, perhaps it was a part, but the show was comedy of all types. They have definitely made politics a much larger part and focus. It's keeping them alive for now.

I think this article covers it pretty well. All it has is Trump and not much else.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-glory-pete-davidson-alec-baldwin/2135741002/

It’s because there are SOOOO many scandals that scandals from Wed cover up the scandals from Tues. So everyone even his supporters are just exhausted from the boorish behaviour.

I think even Republicans are longing for the days when the color of Obama’s suit was a weeklong “scandal”. (Yes watch the video, it’s hilarious how the conservative media tried to make this an issue).

It’s much easier to make fun of that and still feel good.

It’s because there are SOOOO many scandals that scandals from Wed cover up the scandals from Tues. So everyone even his supporters are just exhausted from the boorish behaviour.

I think even Republicans are longing for the days when the color of Obama’s suit was a weeklong “scandal”. (Yes watch the video, it’s hilarious how the conservative media tried to make this an issue).

It’s much easier to make fun of that and still feel good.

As a Libertarian that didn’t vote for either of them:
It could have been worse. Just imagine if Hillary won. Urban Meyer is a saint next to her.

Reactions: swflnole
I agree. I mean, the show is an hour and a half long but that cold open where they poke fun at him about one of the 426 embarrassing things he did during the week is too much. That's why it's obvious the show hasn't been the same since Chevy. He'd never poke fun at a sitting president.

I assume you are trolling lol but Chevy Chase impersonated President Ford in several skits. The typical acting dumb and falling down a lot. I seemed to remember Ford tripped coming out of a Helicopter once and it was enough material for Chevy to put in all his acts.

It is interesting SNL has had more down moments than good but has managed to survive over the years. They have come out with some good material from time to time and exposed some very funny actors. I find the Best Of shows that pop up ever now and then to be fantastic for they have had lot of good skits over the years. But I can not sit through their regular shows and sift through all the crap on a weekly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT