ADVERTISEMENT

Someone needs to clean up Pensacola Street from St Augustine to Garnet and Gold.

9396Nole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Nov 19, 2012
Vacant lots with weeds. Beer cans and solo cups all over. Simply awful. Someone needs to clean that up starting with the students who live there. Geez. It was almost embarrassing taking my daughter down the road to the game the other day. She’s in 11th grade and starting to look at colleges. Aesthetics matter. Yeah, the interior on the campus is nice but the perimeter needs work. And Tennessee Street is getting run down too. The approach from North Monroe looks crappy and past McCollum Hall it’s just ugly. Tally needs to do better.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod and goldmom
Sorry. I was in the St Augustine garage and walked over to Pensacola. It doesn’t change the fact that Pensacola looked like Ian went through it.

Reactions: goldmom
It starts with the students taking a little pride in where they live. After that, I doubt the city has cleanup crews working during the day on game days. The streets are already crowded with people going to the game. As to the rest, someone needs to call city code enforcement and see what they're willing to do.

Same topic. College avenue, you would not believe how trash strewn it it is! These young folks have the reputation as being environmentalists but you couldn't tell it from the way they throw trash on the ground!

As a kid over in Quincy, the street sweeper ran every week. Working at the Northwood Mall Publix in high school there was a private guy sweeping there weekly.
When is the last time you remember a street sweeper rolling thru? Honest question. Road sides in many areas are trash strewn. The highways are full of tire gators and plastic car parts. Civic pride seems to be lagging.

Reactions: NoleMac and goldmom
As a kid over in Quincy, the street sweeper ran every week. Working at the Northwood Mall Publix in high school there was a private guy sweeping there weekly.
When is the last time you remember a street sweeper rolling thru? Honest question. Road sides in many areas are trash strewn. The highways are full of tire gators and plastic car parts. Civic pride seems to be lagging.
Agree with your last sentence and we need to call it out before we can correct the problem.

My mom always said you don’t have to be rich to clean yourself, your house, or your yard. People need to do simple things and pick up their garbage and put it in the right place.

Those areas around campus have always been trashy. The only areas that I recall ever looking nice were park avenue near the cemeteries and the sorority houses and then the sweet shoppe side of campus, again near the sorority houses.
This trashy way of life is endemic to a lot of areas nowadays. I travel a fair amount and only the Western mountain states seem to have consistently cleaner roadsides.

Last edited:
It's pretty sad that that area now looks worse than Frenchtown.

Lots of frats there. Two frats are trashing each others houses. The boys just don't care. I was surprised they didn't even try to clean for parents weekend. Lol

When I was there many years ago, the frat houses (mine included) looked like hell the day after a party, but got cleaned up pretty quickly. We sure as heck didn't leave trash scattered around the yard & the street. It was mostly the job of the pledges to clean up, but most everyone would pitch in - especially for parents weekend & Homecoming weekend.

When is the last time you remember a street sweeper rolling thru? Honest question.
I see a street sweeper pretty often while I'm driving around town dropping off kids in the morning. Saw one yesterday on Colonial near 7th. I'm not on the campus side of town often, but I see one at least once a week when I'm driving from Centerville to midtown.

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
When is the last time you remember a street sweeper rolling thru? Honest question.
I couldn’t tell you the rate cause I never really think about it, but my street had signs of having the sweeper run on it this week. They usually run through my neighborhood early in the morning, so I almost never actually see them.

Street sweeping is one of the more frustrating aspects of parking in Los Angeles. One side is done on one day every week and the other side is done on a different day. Not moving your car for street sweeping is a $90 ticket, so there is mad dash every sweeping day, and then there is absolutely nowhere to park for the two hour sweeping window. When the window ends, there is another mad dash to reclaim your spots.
I racked up a lot of those tickets when dating my wife.

Street sweeping is one of the more frustrating aspects of parking in Los Angeles. One side is done on one day every week and the other side is done on a different day. Not moving your car for street sweeping is a $90 ticket, so there is mad dash every sweeping day, and then there is absolutely nowhere to park for the two hour sweeping window. When the window ends, there is another mad dash to reclaim your spots.
I remember that when we lived in Orange County.
The frats aren’t living in houses built and owned by FSU any more so I bet that plays a part with the trash piling up
The trashiest Greek houses I ever saw were at CU in Boulder. And it was in the summer not even during football season. Piles - mountains - of beer cans everywhere.

On a positive note, I drove down College Avenue yesterday and the trash was noticeably less. Looked a lot better! After this weekend's game probably will change!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
And it’s in a stretch of that road that goes through the University with so much visibility. With the area where Kens used to be looking very run down and businesses shuttered it makes a terrible impression.

Reactions: 9396Nole
And it’s in a stretch of that road that goes through the University with so much visibility. With the area where Kens used to be looking very run down and businesses shuttered it makes a terrible impression.
I have to imagine that area by Ken’s will be the next Gaines Street type revitalization.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT