ADVERTISEMENT

Star Wars Ep VII: Back to the Basics!

I absolutely love the fact that the CGI is being kept to a minimum and they're going back to puppetry, etc... I thought the prequels were partly terrible because the entire movie was one big green screen.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I absolutely love the fact that the CGI is being kept to a minimum and they're going back to puppetry, etc... I thought the prequels were partly terrible because the entire movie was one big green screen.

If you haven't seen it, watch the RedLetter media "Mr Plinkert" reviews of Star Wars. They are absolutely hilarious and spot on, worth far more of your time than the horrible prequels. And entirely prescient. In one of them he compares the dreadful prequels to Star Trek by JJ Abrams and shows how the reliance on CGI took away the emotion. For example, when Samuel Jackson and baby Vader find out that President Palpatine is a Sith they just calmly stroll through the CGI scenery because they didn't have space for them to do more than stroll, meanwhile when Kirk finds out the ship is about to explode he tears through a real set like his life depends on it.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen it, watch the RedLetter media "Mr Plinkert" reviews of Star Wars. They are absolutely hilarious and spot on, worth far more of your time than the horrible prequels. And entirely prescient. In one of them he compares the dreadful prequels to Star Trek by JJ Abrams and shows how the reliance on CGI took away the emotion. For example, when Samuel Jackson and baby Vader find out that President Palpatine is a Sith they just calmly stroll through the CGI scenery because they didn't have space for them to do more than stroll, meanwhile when Kirk finds out the ship is about to explode he tears through a real set like his life depends on it.

I'll have to check that out...assuming it's on YouTube?

I'm almost embarrassed about how excited I am about this movie coming out.

Quite excited as well. Thinking I might have to take the day off work to go see it first thing on December 18.

I'm almost embarrassed about how excited I am about this movie coming out.
me too...I'm 45 years old, shouldn't I be focused on being productive or contributing to a retirement account or something? Instead I'm watching trailers to reboot my childhood sci-fi dream world

I'll have to check that out...assuming it's on YouTube?

Here are the links. Trust me they are hilarious AND insightful, well worth the time. I've never come across better reviews for any movie. The reviews are 1000x better than the actual movies and give some real pointers about scriptwriting and directing while keeping everything light and entertaining....unlike the movies Mr. Plinkett is reviewing.

Sidenote: You have to go with the initial conceit of the reviews which is that the reviewer Mr. Plinkett is a failed father and movie director who lives in his mothers basement and periodically abducts women to murder. So he'll break the wall of the review to make fun of this.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

For the part I was specifically referring to (Lucas' inherent laziness and reliance on green screen versus JJ Abrams see the 2nd part of the Revenge of the Sith review at 23:20 into it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT