ADVERTISEMENT

Starlink... finally!

Update... Decided to NOT move the modem. Going to try the spectrum mesh system and see if that works. If not, will look to moving it more centrally in house.

Reactions: GbrNole
Right on. I'm unfamiliar with mesh networks but I may try to educate myself.
it's essentially a unified extender. it doesn't impact bandwidth quite as much as an extender but is still not as efficient as a single wide coverage router.

the biggest problem with mesh networks are as follows:

• can it support the number of wireless devices you are going to throw at it?
  • does is have a dedicated wireless backhaul band?
  • does it have a dynamic wireless backhaul band?
  • can you hardwire between devices for backhaul?

separately is the wifi standards it is capable of AX etc., does it have proper AX band steering around airports and 5G cell towers, is the stated number of concurrent connected devices supported theoretical or actual? (the theoretical number is usually FAR from actual).

personally i really like asus routers because if a single device won't cut it you can mesh them using their AiMesh baked in to the firmware. You can typically mix and match asus devices too.

Reactions: mjpwooo
Update... Decided to NOT move the modem. Going to try the spectrum mesh system and see if that works. If not, will look to moving it more centrally in house.
it will probably be wireless AX capable which will be a huge improvement over what the google wifi can do.

Reactions: mjpwooo
Yeah, maybe step 2 (after seeing if the new mesh works) is going with the spectrum modem and buying a really high quality router and the Orbi mesh....

Me with my new pods.......

tenor.gif

Reactions: Dhersh and GbrNole
I had awful internet service. Usually around 1-3 down and less than 1 up. (CenturyLink DSL). Put my name on the list in May, and it finally arrived Thursday. Plug and play set up; easy as could be.
Now I am around 200 mps down and 40 up. I give it 5 stars.
Now, I am curious what TV streaming service do you folks use? I have Dish currently
Heading up to our mountain home where I have our Starlink shipment waiting for us. How much clear space do you have to have? Any tips now that you are almost a month in?

Heading up to our mountain home where I have our Starlink shipment waiting for us. How much clear space do you have to have? Any tips now that you are almost a month in?
I don't have 100% clear view. When I get the proper mounting bracket I will put it on the eave of the house and it should be 100% clear. I still have only had 1 time that it slowed down, and that only lasted a couple minutes. It mainly faces North. That is where you should try to have the most unobstructed view. In your Starlink app, it will have a tool to let you view the sky from different spots, to find your best location. The whole system has been well designed and very user friendly. You should have no problems. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Keep me posted on how it works for you

I don't have 100% clear view. When I get the proper mounting bracket I will put it on the eave of the house and it should be 100% clear. I still have only had 1 time that it slowed down, and that only lasted a couple minutes. It mainly faces North. That is where you should try to have the most unobstructed view. In your Starlink app, it will have a tool to let you view the sky from different spots, to find your best location. The whole system has been well designed and very user friendly. You should have no problems. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Keep me posted on how it works for you
I am on my roof now and have scanned a couple of spots all saying I have obstructions. Up here the obstruction was 1.37%. How much did you have and do you think that is too high a level?

I am on my roof now and have scanned a couple of spots all saying I have obstructions. Up here the obstruction was 1.37%. How much did you have and do you think that is too high a level?
I was higher obstruction than that. Can't remember exactly what it was

I was higher obstruction than that. Can't remember exactly what it was
Hooked up and running. Dish is on a picnic table outside and oriented to the north west.
already an improvement over Hughesnet. Havent tried to stream yet , that will be the acid test. If all goes well I'll order the bracket to attach to the roof. Thanks ofr your info.

Hooked up and running. Dish is on a picnic table outside and oriented to the north west.
already an improvement over Hughesnet. Havent tried to stream yet , that will be the acid test. If all goes well I'll order the bracket to attach to the roof. Thanks ofr your info.
Glad to help. I zip tied the legs of mine to our wrought iron table by the pool. Didn't want it to go for a swim or jump off the table.
I have had no buffering at all. I have watched all of Yellowstone and 1883. Just started Peaky Blinders.
It has definitely been a game changer

Reactions: fsufool and GbrNole
I had awful internet service. Usually around 1-3 down and less than 1 up. (CenturyLink DSL). Put my name on the list in May, and it finally arrived Thursday. Plug and play set up; easy as could be.
Now I am around 200 mps down and 40 up. I give it 5 stars.
Now, I am curious what TV streaming service do you folks use? I have Dish currently
Heard good things about starlink up here. Thanks for posting your experience. We got Fiber in our town a few years ago, so I got off our DSL internet which was really problematic and slow.

Got rid of Dish at the same time and started streaming.
We use HULU live. Haven't really had problems with it since the first year when it went down a couple of times. The cost has gone up significantly. But, we have the channels that are important to us, local news/weather, and HULUs large library. We also get Disney plus and paramount with it. So, lots of content. Combined with NetFlix, Amazon Prime, and Kanopy there is more content than any family can possibly watch for 50% less than we were paying for Dish/NetFlix 4 years ago.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
Heard good things about starlink up here. Thanks for posting your experience. We got Fiber in our town a few years ago, so I got off our DSL internet which was really problematic and slow.

Got rid of Dish at the same time and started streaming.
We use HULU live. Haven't really had problems with it since the first year when it went down a couple of times. The cost has gone up significantly. But, we have the channels that are important to us, local news/weather, and HULUs large library. We also get Disney plus and paramount with it. So, lots of content. Combined with NetFlix, Amazon Prime, and Kanopy there is more content than any family can possibly watch for 50% less than we were paying for Dish/NetFlix 4 years ago.
Ran a speed test this Morning and it fluctuated between 73-80 which I understand is pretty good. Technically challenged old guy here. Im the fro state NC SC Ga area of the mountains.

Reactions: fsufool
Ran a speed test this Morning and it fluctuated between 73-80 which I understand is pretty good. Technically challenged old guy here. Im the fro state NC SC Ga area of the mountains.
You should be fine with those speeds. Hell my parents own a cabin at the top of a mountain right near the GA/NC border and they can't get any internet. So some is better than nothing.

You should be fine with those speeds. Hell my parents own a cabin at the top of a mountain right near the GA/NC border and they can't get any internet. So some is better than nothing.
Again not really knowing what I am doing, I ran speed tests with both my iphone and laptop from different sites and had downloads between 100-220. uploads of 3-4.5. Starlink already has shown to be so much better than Hughes net. Still have basic Directv and xfinity in Tally. Next step will be to figure best combination for the two homes

Again not really knowing what I am doing, I ran speed tests with both my iphone and laptop from different sites and had downloads between 100-220. uploads of 3-4.5. Starlink already has shown to be so much better than Hughes net. Still have basic Directv and xfinity in Tally. Next step will be to figure best combination for the two homes
We have now started a tryout with Metronet in our Tally house. I would like to use the same streaming service in both houses and get away from Comcast all together. Is anyone using a streaming service with Starlink now? We also have DIRECTV in the mountains and I tried to stream it with firestick in Tally with no luck. I can stream DIRECTV on my phone and laptop but it seems to be blocked o the TV set. I think I am going to try Hulu live tv in NC and see if I can use the same account in Tally.

Reactions: squiffynole
We have now started a tryout with Metronet in our Tally house. I would like to use the same streaming service in both houses and get away from Comcast all together. Is anyone using a streaming service with Starlink now? We also have DIRECTV in the mountains and I tried to stream it with firestick in Tally with no luck. I can stream DIRECTV on my phone and laptop but it seems to be blocked o the TV set. I think I am going to try Hulu live tv in NC and see if I can use the same account in Tally.
YTTV is easy to move around with. It will switch local channels depending on where you are streaming from.

YTTV is easy to move around with. It will switch local channels depending on where you are streaming from.
Oh. So I could get local channels in either location? That's important to us. You are using Starlink for YTTY?

I'm using Spectrum internet because I don't need gigabit service (which is available from multiple providers in my area) and because it's cheap. And YTTV because it's the best option for TV as far as I'm concerned. But yes, if I were visiting Tallahassee it would ask if I wanted local Tallahassee channels.

I had Metronet fiber optic installed at my Mother's house and created a YouTubeTV family group - so for about $70 a month she has internet, telephone and TV. It's only been a couple of weeks we'll see how it works out.

the geek in me really, really wants starlink. if i lived somewhere along the lines north georgia, SE tennessee, SW north carolina it would be an absolute no brainer.
My parents own a cabin in Franklin, NC and it's not an option for them. On one hand, their cabin is at the top of a mountain so not easy access, but they have not found a provider to supply internet at the cabin. We drain our hotspot availability when we go up there.

My parents own a cabin in Franklin, NC and it's not an option for them. On one hand, their cabin is at the top of a mountain so not easy access, but they have not found a provider to supply internet at the cabin. We drain our hotspot availability when we go up there.
We are close by in Cashiers.

sort of on topic / sort of off topic. I want to LOVE YTTV. But I only like it.

I hate the guide, but I couldn't articulate why I hate it...but I do. But I really hate it.
I hate that when it says there are new shows, the guide doesn't tell me what the new shows actually are.
I hate the parental controls.
I hate that I have set it to record any FSU sports event, yet it doesn't record every FSU sports event.

There's plenty that I like about it...but I just don't love it.

That's all; thanks for letting me vent.

Near Highlands yeah? That's very close. I love the area. I'm in the Triangle but it's a great spot to get away, especially on long weekends.

sort of on topic / sort of off topic. I want to LOVE YTTV. But I only like it.

I hate the guide, but I couldn't articulate why I hate it...but I do. But I really hate it.
I hate that when it says there are new shows, the guide doesn't tell me what the new shows actually are.
I hate the parental controls.
I hate that I have set it to record any FSU sports event, yet it doesn't record every FSU sports event.

There's plenty that I like about it...but I just don't love it.

That's all; thanks for letting me vent.
My recommendation is submit something to YTTV about it. I know you wanted to vent, but streaming services are new in the grand scheme of things. You never know what they might change. For example, I didn't used to have the ability to change my local stations based on my actual location. So it might help if you send them feedback.

Thought of another BIGGIE... No option to go to the last station, like a 'previous channel' button. How to do that with several different remotes, I don't know, and I don't care. Just make it happen.....

Maybe I will submit, but I have no faith it would get read

Reactions: Dhersh
Thought of another BIGGIE... No option to go to the last station, like a 'previous channel' button. How to do that with several different remotes, I don't know, and I don't care. Just make it happen.....

Maybe I will submit, but I have no faith it would get read
It would be silly for them not to take customer comments into consideration. Don't doubt that impact.

My recommendation is submit something to YTTV about it. I know you wanted to vent, but streaming services are new in the grand scheme of things. You never know what they might change. For example, I didn't used to have the ability to change my local stations based on my actual location. So it might help if you send them feedback.
Honestly i would say that YTTV couldn’t give a toss.

years ago they bought the IP rights to SageTV. It was among some of the most sophisticated DVR software available at the time and ran laps around tivo.

google could easily integrate the sagetv platform into YTTV but they never even tried.

dicks.

Yeah i’m salty - i was a loyal sagetv user for years.

Honestly i would say that YTTV couldn’t give a toss.

years ago they bought the IP rights to SageTV. It was among some of the most sophisticated DVR software available at the time and ran laps around tivo.

google could easily integrate the sagetv platform into YTTV but they never even tried.

dicks.

Yeah i’m salty - i was a loyal sagetv user for years.
Haha fair what is one person suggesting one thing? But what are thousands of people suggesting one thing for a company trying to gain, not lose, subscribers. Customers are why they are here, and we must not forget that despite how small we seem.

Haha fair what is one person suggesting one thing? But what are thousands of people suggesting one thing for a company trying to gain, not lose, subscribers. Customers are why they are here, and we must not forget that despite how small we seem.
Old guy question. Could we access youtube tv from both locations at the same time?

Old guy question. Could we access youtube tv from both locations at the same time?
The platform allows simultaneous logins from different locations. It’s capped at 3 or 4 simultaneous logins i think.

Reactions: Dhersh
We are in Cashiers and I have successfully connected to YouTube TV on Starlink via a firestick. Hurrah! Game changer! One last hurdle to overcome. I have the local Tallahassee channels showing up. Is there another step to shift to the WNC channels out of Asheville and Greenville? Thanks again for all the help.

We are in Cashiers and I have successfully connected to YouTube TV on Starlink via a firestick. Hurrah! Game changer! One last hurdle to overcome. I have the local Tallahassee channels showing up. Is there another step to shift to the WNC channels out of Asheville and Greenville? Thanks again for all the help.

I'm currently at the cabin enjoying the long weekend, so cheers!
Same to you, we are here also. Just finished switching out everything so Starlink for internet and Metronet in Tally. Youtube tv one account both places. Said goodbye to Comcast in Tally, Hughesnet and Directv here. All working better and coxting much less. Thanks again for your help
t

I just saw that YTTV got the Weather Channel. Finally!

ADVERTISEMENT