ADVERTISEMENT

State of Florida appreciation thread

1,000 people a day move to Florida. I don’t like it.
I wish they’d stay where they are and change how things are run right there, but apparently they prefer flight over fight.
And all the attention on how “great Florida is” in some national media isn’t helping, either.
Once they get their tax bill and insurance bill, they might change their minds. Fingers crossed

Of Hawai'i, O'ahu, and Maui; Hawai'i is my favorite place to stay. I love the tiny towns up on the mountain in Kona. The southern tip and Volcanoes NP are great day trips, and the drive across the the top of the island for dinner in Hilo is spectacular.
Where do you eat in Hilo? The only place there we really liked was Pineapples. Oh, the burger joint was good too.

It probably didn't help my impression that we were there for the end of one Kona Low and the start of another. Not sure we saw the sun for more than a few hours on the Hilo side.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I wish they’d stay where they are and change how things are run right there, but apparently they prefer flight over fight.
And all the attention on how “great Florida is” in some national media isn’t helping, either.
^^^^^

New Yorker in New York: l hate the crazy high taxes here….gotta leave.

New Yorker in Florida: i want the same stuff here that made my taxes crazy high in New York.

LOL.

I know a few folks that were not able to close due to the insurance issue. High rates and not being able to get coverage.
If you already own a home and are just moving it is a good idea to ask your agent if you’ll be able to get the new place covered before you make the leap and go into contract.

I like Cafe Pesto and Jackie Rey's, and my partner likes Moon and Turtle. I love the weather on the big island, but I love storms and overcast skies generally. One of my favorite memories from our last trip was sitting at the "most southern bar in the USA" eating macadamia crusted ahi and chatting with a local during an afternoon downpour.
We looked at a couple of those but a few didn't have anything on the menu our daughter would eat.
We look forward to the time when we vacation alone...

Just wait until I move back to Florida to retire after spending a few decades in Los Angeles...😈
Talk about culture shock. Years ago when I lived in Texas a couple moved in down the street from us from LA. The next lot was a half a mile or so. It was quite an eye opener for them.

I have this t-shirt

26_Dont-California-My-Texas.jpg

I have this t-shirt

There’s a Don’t California my Florida bumper sticker here.
Some California people bought our old house in Far North Dallas. Sold in 72 hours for $200K over asking.
There goes the neighborhood. 🤨

If you already own a home and are just moving it is a good idea to ask your agent if you’ll be able to get the new place covered before you make the leap and go into contract.
I don't know why, but I did this. We were looking to make a move, kind of a pre-retirement downsizing thing. We almost made an offer in Palm Coast. The place had been flipped and no one could tell us when the roof had last been replaced.

My agent (AAA) said it had to be <6 years old or they wouldn't insure it. She claimed that no other company would either, leaving you with citizens.

Bunch a grifters went around finding hail damage on houses and filing claims to get roofs replaced apparently. I know our next door neighbor did this a few years ago.

That is a complicated question to answer. With regard to my daily existence, I do not encounter many homeless people at all, unless you count marginally housed students who are often couch surfing and living out of their cars. The latter was shocking when I got out here. Every evening when I would walk to my car in the parking garage, I would see at least a dozen students settling into sleep for the night.

There are occasionally a couple of tents in the park near my house, and I occasionally see a homeless person on the bus or in the neighborhoods near my office, but that does not happen everyday. Of course, if I go downtown or to Venice Beach, then I will see a higher density of homeless people. San Francisco is different, because it's essentially just a downtown plus beaches/tourist areas, therefore the density of homeless people is much more visible. L.A. is 10x the size of San Francisco, so the density is different. And I agree that it is all sad.

I have been pleased with how much progress that the VA where I worked for years has made in getting veterans housed over the years.
With the amount of resources DoD and the USG have to include unused dormitories and barracks at BRAC locations no veteran should ever be homeless. We have illegal immigrants staying in hotels on the taxpayers dime but we have Vets on the street. No one should be homeless but this is especially irritating.

Yes they are thanks to the lumber Barons for the lovely spaces up 319 to Thomasville
Agree but the population explosion in ALL of Florida means more housing is needed and inevitable. And the families who have owned that land for generations are selling off not just over in your area but all over NoFla.
Here in Jax the Davis family who started Winn Dixie and the Skinner family who had a huge dairy have sold off thousands of acres and enormous developments are being built. Jax is exploding in population and new homes are in high demand.

Agree but the population explosion in ALL of Florida means more housing is needed and inevitable. And the families who have owned that land for generations are selling off not just over in your area but all over NoFla.
Here in Jax the Davis family who started Winn Dixie and the Skinner family who had a huge dairy have sold off thousands of acres and enormous developments are being built. Jax is exploding in population and new homes are in high demand.

In Jax over the weekend for the River Run, we went for a walk on the beach behind our friends' house in Ponte Vedra. The money that's gone into those places must be mind-boggling. I doubt I could even afford the insurance on them by itself. There's one I was told built by the guy who owned Florida Rock and retired. Damn thing looks like a museum.

Reactions: Bartdog and goldmom
I have this t-shirt

I was in Portugal looking at places and the realtor asked if I was from California. I said no and she said ok we can continue. A lot of areas there aren't selling to folks from California due to the issues they bring with them. Not sure how wide spread it is as that was just one town,

I was in Portugal looking at places and the realtor asked if I was from California. I said no and she said ok we can continue. A lot of areas there aren't selling to folks from California due to the issues they bring with them. Not sure how wide spread it is as that was just one town,
In Europe? Really?

Really? What issues do they think Californians are bringing with them, other than paying with cash? I'm just curious.

Really? What issues do they think Californians are bringing with them, other than paying with cash? I'm just curious.
Californians (and I lived there for a year) live in a bubble and have developed their own viewpoints on life. It’s understandable but it’s often very different from how the rest of the U.S. sees things.

Not sure. Portugal is having issues with rising rents and people wanting to make money off of that. Those from California could be the punching bag for some of that. Maybe Portuguese folks don't like avocados and vegan ice cream? I really think she was partially joking and might have had a bad experience. You do see this all over Europe though with any wealthy group moving to a area.

Mom , I worded that poorly my intent was to thank those landowners for not selling off that beautiful land and letting it survive as is. The only drawback is the smoke/haze starting this time of the year from the controlled burning of the underbrush.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT