ADVERTISEMENT

State of Florida appreciation thread

Bartdog

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2002
Jax
I have come to realize in the last few years that I LOVE my state. I think it started out going to Tally and spending time there. One of my best (probably THE best) friends moved his family there and we started spending more time in the area. They live out in the country, off of Tram. It may have started before that, with trips we took to Sarasota, Sanibel, Captiva, etc. a few years ago.

So, just driving out to see them and seeing the little towns out that way was interesting, and I noticed that I was reacting emotionally to the sights. There was nothing super spectacular, just old houses, farmland, trees, and swamps.

And then we started kayaking. We went to the Santa Fe, Wacissa, Silver, Rainbow, etc. etc. Freaking Crystal River! I wanted to MOVE there when I saw it. I absolutely love going to springs. We don't have super great hiking or waterfalls like in the mountains, but we have some good trails and I'd much rather bike here than in the hills, that's for sure. Then you have the neat little towns like Mount Dora.

I want to win the lottery so I can buy as many acres as possible and donate them to the parks system.

I feel like I wasted way too much time in the early years going to theme parks, but you gotta do that when you have kids. Practically a law. It's really awesome when they get to the point where they appreciate going somewhere like The Keys, Sanibel or North Captiva and being almost off the grid for a week.

Anyway, that's it, just felt like saying it. If you are around me in real life I say this stuff all the time. If you reply, please don't get political.

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
I love the weather, the ocean and the sea life. I would scuba dive almost every weekend from Jupiter to the Keys and take dive trips to to Crystal River, Devils Den, Blue Grotto as well. It used to be great to ride the motorcycle on beautiful spring and fall days, but no more. Too much traffic and just not safe. I thought I loved Tallahassee, then realized that I just love FSU.

I will only miss the weather and taxes once I retire and move away. Might just buy a piece of land to keep a Florida residency before I go.

Though I was born in Atlanta, we moved to Tampa when I was a baby, and that's where I grew up. Never liked living in Tampa, back then thought it was dull and boring; didn't think much of Tallahassee either, but like the poster above said I loved being at FSU.

When the opportunity came upon graduation to move to Atlanta to go to work, I jumped at it, and the next 40 years were great. But Atlanta, too, eventually grew old and WAAYYYYY overcrowded, and when it was time to retire, Mrs. No Pics Ed (being from Miami) and I opted to move back, and bought in Cape Coral. Been here since June 1, and have loved every minute except for the Ian Age. We have a great local government that stays on top of things, and the ony way it could improve is if the Yankees down here in season went somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past summer took some getting used to, for sure. Atlanta is damned hot in the summer, and muggy as hell to boot, this past year in the Cape was something else. But it generally rains every day by 4:00, and that helps.

It was funny when the day before Christmas it actually got down to 48, and my neighbors were acting like it was the end of times. Shoot, we begged for that kind of temp in December back in Atlanta; where my boys live it was 22.

Do you guys like the Florida summer heat?

I went to St. Petersburg in June a few years ago and it was brutally hot from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M.
If you live by the coast, the temp doesn't go higher than 95. Now the "feels like" temperature, that's another story. Look at the temperatures across the US and there are places that get much hotter than my SE Florida in summer.

Do you guys like the Florida summer heat?

I went to St. Petersburg in June a few years ago and it was brutally hot from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M.
I like it. In the panhandle you have the breeze from the gulf so its usually not too bad and not as muggy like inland places. I went to Nashville in July and it was a lot hotter than the panhandle.

I think it's all a matter of what you're accustomed to. RIght now, it's 89, with a heat index of 92 out side at Cape Coral. But it doesn't feel all that bad to me, but last summer it would have.

Exactly why we left Florida and moved to north Georgia mountains. Tallahassee summers for us were brutal. As we got older, the less we could handle it.
I spend a lot of time up there, near Blue Ridge, and it gets pretty darn hot there too. Just takes longer. But it gets MUCH colder. I've been up there when it was snowing and came home to put on flip-flops.

What part of north GA are you in? We might retire there one day.

I spend a lot of time up there, near Blue Ridge, and it gets pretty darn hot there too. Just takes longer. But it gets MUCH colder. I've been up there when it was snowing and came home to put on flip-flops.

What part of north GA are you in? We might retire there one day.
Next door to Blue Ridge. In Ellijay. Moved here in 2011. Yes it gets warm, but the humidity is nothing compared to Tallahassee. Plus we live on a ridge. Usually have a nice breeze. Occasionally get snow but not often. Had one storm this winter. We enjoy having 4 seasons.

Born a Yankee, but grew up in S FL for almost 20 years and loved it. Went to FSU and loved it, moved to Atlanta and loved it for a long time....not so much anymore. Looking to move back to FL somewhere in the north.

Good thread, Bart!

Grew up in Jax after moving here when I was less than a year old. When I left at 18 to come to FSU I never moved back and over the next thirty plus years lived all over the country. I think the experience was a positive one but we chose to move back in 2004 and I’m very glad to be home.
Growing up here in a house with no AC I thought everyone lived with hot summers and when we lived in Michigan and Wisconsin I found out what cold weather really was. Now a 40 degree cold snap here in NoFla is nothing.
I really like Tally and if I had extra money I’d buy a second place there, but would just use it for football weekends and other events. The fact that I have grandchildren here is what keeps me in Jax.
When I graduated from FSU, the population of Florida was under 10 million and now we are somewhere around 23 million.
FDOT doesn’t move quickly enough to build roads and that’s my biggest issue, but aside from that I can speak from experience and nine moves that this state is a slice of heaven.

Born and raised and have lived 90% of my life in the sunshine state everywhere from Miami to Tallahassee and several places in between. Really glad I got to move out and am now experiencing many different parts of the country. Hoping to buy our retirement place in the panhandle sometime in the next couple of years. It’s nice to know that we should end up back there at some point.

Family moved here after the civil war and began ranching and growing citrus. Been here for ~160 years. We’ve owned A LOT of land over the years. Love Florida, but hate the way it has been ruined through undisciplined development and population growth. “The Villages” is a particular (and growing) eyesore, but not the only one.

Water will be a major crisis in the relatively near term. And the panhandle will be ruined like everything else the minute the region opens a decent commercial airport.

I’ll ride it out. Hope the yankees go home.

Native son here!

Gotta love it, s fla too crowded now
Moving to a house on the Kissimmee river, property been in the family like 55 yrs

20 acres, a beautiful place

Grew up in Jax after moving here when I was less than a year old. When I left at 18 to come to FSU I never moved back and over the next thirty plus years lived all over the country. I think the experience was a positive one but we chose to move back in 2004 and I’m very glad to be home.
Growing up here in a house with no AC I thought everyone lived with hot summers and when we lived in Michigan and Wisconsin I found out what cold weather really was. Now a 40 degree cold snap here in NoFla is nothing.
I really like Tally and if I had extra money I’d buy a second place there, but would just use it for football weekends and other events. The fact that I have grandchildren here is what keeps me in Jax.
When I graduated from FSU, the population of Florida was under 10 million and now we are somewhere around 23 million.
FDOT doesn’t move quickly enough to build roads and that’s my biggest issue, but aside from that I can speak from experience and nine moves that this state is a slice of heaven.
I like slices of heaven.

Born in '59 in Tallahassee and live outside of Valdosta GA now. Other than that and an ill advised couple of years in Orlando between '89 and '91 have lived my whole life within 40 miles of Tallahassee. I love it there but the older I get I have a hard time dealing with how relatively crowded Tally has become. But before it exploded Tallahassee was heaven. For me just the right mix of southern tradition and modern progressiveness. The geography is perfect to me especially the area south of town with it's numerous sinkholes and springs. As for the weather growing up prior to widespread air conditioning I didn't know any different so it was what it was.

I have come to realize in the last few years that I LOVE my state. I think it started out going to Tally and spending time there. One of my best (probably THE best) friends moved his family there and we started spending more time in the area. They live out in the country, off of Tram. It may have started before that, with trips we took to Sarasota, Sanibel, Captiva, etc. a few years ago.

So, just driving out to see them and seeing the little towns out that way was interesting, and I noticed that I was reacting emotionally to the sights. There was nothing super spectacular, just old houses, farmland, trees, and swamps.

And then we started kayaking. We went to the Santa Fe, Wacissa, Silver, Rainbow, etc. etc. Freaking Crystal River! I wanted to MOVE there when I saw it. I absolutely love going to springs. We don't have super great hiking or waterfalls like in the mountains, but we have some good trails and I'd much rather bike here than in the hills, that's for sure. Then you have the neat little towns like Mount Dora.

I want to win the lottery so I can buy as many acres as possible and donate them to the parks system.

I feel like I wasted way too much time in the early years going to theme parks, but you gotta do that when you have kids. Practically a law. It's really awesome when they get to the point where they appreciate going somewhere like The Keys, Sanibel or North Captiva and being almost off the grid for a week.

Anyway, that's it, just felt like saying it. If you are around me in real life I say this stuff all the time. If you reply, please don't get political.
When I showed up in Tallahassee in 1975, I literally thought I won the lottery. The swim team was good, the classes easy, and every day if the weather was good I went to Union Pool and there were beautiful girls ringed around the outside of the pool to keep my mind occupied while working out. I explored north Florida, the sink holes, the beaches, oysters/smoke mullet, the bars (drinking age was 18), etc. Later I scuba, snorkeled, spear fished, fished, sailed, paddle boarded, sail boarded, and even a little surfing all over the state. Lived in the keys, Vero Beach, Siesta Key, St. Pete Beach and Tally three different times. Hit SoBe when it was rebuilt, used Florida as base as I sailed all over the Caribbean, went to Costa Rica and Venezuela expanding my horizons but always using Florida as the place I called home.

But, things changed for me. I got married, had a child. My parents who lived in St. Pete died. For the third time I was a victim of crime. The summer got really long when you had to go to work every day. A lot of people around me were getting divorced, many for the second time. People drinking in the bars seemed more desperate to escape whatever they were escaping from. I spent less time in the water. And the traffic was getting worse. Some spots that were once remote, unpopulated, were now developed. In fact it was getting hard to reconcile my memories of Florida with the current realities. Nostalgia only gets you so far.......

So, we moved into our second home in the mountains of New Hampshire and sold our Florida home. Now our son went to a great little public elementary school, played in the national forrest behind our house and lived in a small town with minimum crime and skied, hiked, swam, in a place that reminded me in a weird way of how Florida use to be. We never locked our door unless we were leaving town. Early on, my young son, exasperated, said to me "I can't go anywhere without someone knowing me." I laughed and said that was the point...........

So, when people ask me if I miss Florida, I always say I miss my friends and I miss the Florida in my mind from the past, but no, not what Florida is now.............

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT